4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Artist
I had the opportunity to see him perform live at the Jazz cafe, and it was just him and the piano. He was excellent, imagine shutting up a crowd of over 400 people!
I've known about him for quite some time, about 3 or so years, and I have two earlier albums which he produced himself.
Published on 29 Dec 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars This isn't amazing people !
What you'll see here is a plethora of amazing reviews for Mr Legends Debut album. Now if someone new comes along and he's a bit different to everyone else,people automatically say that he/she is the best thing since sliced bread..fact is although John Legend is a great singer..he's not a great songwriter...yet. The album only has 3 or 4 really good tracks.There's no...
Published on 11 Jun 2005 by Mr. Russell C. Witheyman

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Artist, 29 Dec 2004
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
He's a refreshing artist, with a very old but new sound. It's his vocals that will drag you into his music, followed by the lyrics, then the sounds. His voice makes you think your listening to an older artist in the era of Aretha Franklin, Donny Hathaway etc, but it's his lyrics and music that bring you to today's lifestyle! I can relate to most of the tracks, and thoroughly enjoyed listening to it!
My favourites are Ordinary People, She Don't Have to Know, and It Don't Have to Change.
If you're still not sure about him, then listen to his older album Soul Sessions Vol1 Live at the Knitting Factory (live stuff).
If you're like me, and you enjoy classic soul/rnb/philly soul/gospel, then you will enjoy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Lifted Any Higher!, 23 Feb 2005
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
John Legend is the brightest new solo artist R&B has to offer. His excellent composition, vocal and piano playing skills combine to make a breathtaking album of legendary proportions.
I bought this album on impulse, after seeing an advert on television, and hearing a 2-second clip of "Used to Love U". It was enough to make me hunger for more, indeed! As soon as I bought it, listened to the opening "Let's Get Lifted" I was hooked on Legend's soothing, souly vocals and hip-hop edge.
I am a fan of soul, hip-hop, RnB, alot of classic soul especially. He seems to blend generations and appeals to all of these likes. Despite a slight lyrical reptetiveness (Relationship problems are all the album.
Alright - Wants a girl to cheat on her man for him
She Don't Have To Know - Telling his mistress that his girlfriend won't find out about them
Number One - Telling his wife he's changed his bachelor ways forever
I Can Change - Again, telling a partner his bachelor ways are over
Ordinary People - about an arguing couple
Stay With You - Obvious from title
It Don't Have to Change - Relationship on the rocks, reminicising to better times)
the album soars melodically; the gripping vocals, sweet, soft sound and the production skills of Kanye West have ensured a splendid "debut" from Mr. Legend.
Favourite tracks:
After repeated listening, alot of them.
Used to Love U, Alright, She Don't Need To Know & Ordinary People are all fantastic, but the wonderful gospel-lathered It Don't Have to Change is definately the best the album has to offer.
You'll be lifted by this, indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, 18 Jun 2006
C. Hess "Hess" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
Must have for your music collection. Listen to when you are trying to relax, or with your girlfriend/boyfriend.

Let's Get Lifted: 7/10: Not my favourite song on the album. The beginning of the album doesn't reach the standard of the second for me.

Used to Love U: 8/10: The song is more up tempo and very catchy. Good break up song. Gives the album more variety, you cant just have all sad ballards!

Alright: 7/10: I just love the lyrics and the bass line is great. But i think this isnt one of the best tracks, its a bit predictable.

She Don't have to Know: 7/10: OK, not particularly strong. To be honest its a bit of a filler song.

Number One: 10/10: One of my ultimate highlights from the whole album! Cant help but sing along! Kanye West adds a different flavour which makes it very diverse and still class.

I Can Change: 5/10: This song is my least favourite, a bit boring. Snoop Dogg just annoys me, just the same crap he always does.

Ordinary People: 10/10: Just great! Love the piano in this one as well. I cant believe they released a radio version with a beat in the background. This is far better.

Stay With You: 9/10: This is one of the more beautiful songs on the album. John legend's voice sounds sublime. Good love song.

Let's get lifted again: 5/10: Still haven't really listened to this one as it hasn't grabbed me in any way as yet but it's relaxing and has a nice melody. Shows his voice off well too. Filler song really.

So High: 10/10: Another highlight. Just John's voice and the piano is breathtaking. Just sit back and listen. I think this may be my favourite.

Refuge (when it's cold outside): 7/10: Good song, but the lyrics arent that great on this one. The vocals are still fantastic.

It don't have to change: 10/10 definitely!: This is my favourite off the album. This track hasnt been released and is a delightfull suprise at the end of the album. This song should have been the ending one.

Live it Up: 7/10: Slightly dissapointing end to the album. But still a good track.should have been put at the begging. Good lyrics.

I wouls strongly advise any fan of chilling out to get this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recognition at last!, 3 Mar 2005
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
It is long overdue but the talents of John Legend are finally getting world-wide recognition. A piano player of some ability, and a song writer of equally aptitude, Legend has, along with the help of Kanye West, produced an album of worthy recognition.
It has an overiding theme (that being the up's and down's of relationships, generally) which is complimented by smooth harmonies with an urban flavour. Yet it manages to sound 'old skool'! This is where the real quality lies for me. Admittedly some of the songs are slightly corny, driven by sexual urges of a young man who seemingly can't get enough, but the album is pieced together well.
The best songs for me are "ordinary people", "Live it up" and despite my comments above "She don't have to know". Legend is at his best playing simple melodies at the piano, letting his incredibly soulful (slightly gravelly!) voice shine through.
For lovers of urban music or modern soul or jazz or as previously stated more classic soul, then this album is sure to please.

4.0 out of 5 stars legendary, 7 Feb 2005
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
When you hear that an artist is going to be produced by Kanye West, you know they are going to be the real thing. I love this album. Like another reviewer from earlier, I am also a bit of a jazz man- although i dapple in almost any kind of music- and if jazz is your kind of thing then you will definately not be disappointed by john legend. His piano playing is terriffic and he really knows how to harmonise with the vocals his songs. Kanye's lyrics are witty and cutting as usual, as are snoops but his voice can be a bit wearing after a while but that's nothing really. I think the only real niggle about this album is that a lot of the songs- with the exception of 'Ordinary people' and a couple of others- seem to all follow the same pattern and sound quite similar which seems to make the whole album just a bit formulaic but then again which r&b/hip-hop album isn't nowadays?
The standout tracks for me have to be 'Used to love u' and 'ordinary people' which actually seems very Stevie Wonder-esque (he must have listened to him as a kid) simply because the combination of the piano and his voice without percussion or anything else seems to blend perfectly for that kind of song.
If you are into Kanye west, stevie wonder, joss stone or any R&B or jazz then you will definately not be disappointed- I know i wasn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Ordinary Talent, 17 Feb 2005
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
This is an impressive debut album. As soon as I heard the opening piano chords of the prelude and his deep raspy vocal delivery I knew I was going to be in for something special. And sure enough I was lifted. But somewhere along the line I came back down to earth - from those dizzy heights I suppose the only way was down. Make no mistake this man is very talented -only someone blessed with a real gift could have written anything as flawless and beautiful as Ordinary People. Only a real artist could have realised that by keeping it simple - the piano alone to accompany his breathtaking vocals - you can still create something complex and powerful. But this album is patchy. Firstly the lyrics have to go - if you can be inventive with your music, then you can get away from the cliches of the R&B lothario. I also found a few songs in the back half of the album mediocre and somewhat at odds in tone and style with the gems at the start. But he gets 4 stars because when he's good, he's REALLY good. I look forward to another album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 22 April 2005
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
When I first heard this album, I was absolutely blown away and I have been hooked ever since. "Get Lifted" John Legend's debut album on Columbian Records is an outstandingly imaginative fusion of old-school Gospel and funky hip-hop beats with feel-good rhythms and catchy tunes that will have you humming for the rest of the day! Check out "Used To Love You" and "I Can Change". The appropriately named album is uplifting and refreshing encompassing both 'playa' antics and impeccably crafted ballads which simply serve to emphasise Legend's immaculately soulful voice and inspired use of instrumentals. Each song is so textured and layered that the album seems to reach much deeper than many commercial R&B tunes around today. The multi-talented singer/song writer has certainly not gone unnoticed as Snoop Dogg features on the album along with Kanye West his Executive Producer. He has also previously collaborated with artists such as Lauryn Hill, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys and Black Eyed Peas to name but a few. As you can probably tell, I can't praise this guy enough! He truly is gospel-delic genius and I cannot wait for his follow-up album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something else!, 7 Aug 2006
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
Only a short review i'm afraid, but a well deserved on all the same.

I was pushed into listening to this guy buy a friend who said he had a great voice, so i decided to buy the album, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest! Yeah, there are a few fillers on this album, but the remainder is simply class. After buying this album I went to see him live, simply awesome and his live soul sessions aren't to be missed either.

A real class act, looking forward to his new work. Gotta be one of my fav albums. Throughly recommend Anthony Hamilton also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 13 Jan 2005
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
A refreshingly old-fashioned album in many ways, this record takes seasoned session singer John Legend and puts him in the spotlight, thanks to Kanye West's endorsement and musical input. Legend has a rich, subtle voice which can soar but can also sound very street and smart. The songs are intelligent and full-on, with contributions by the likes of West and Snoop Dogg, but the essential vibe is soulful and bright, as the album's title suggests. It made me think of lots of classic soul artists, but especially of Marvin Gaye. The material is quite different from Marvin's, but Legend combines love music with social comment in a way that put me in mind of What's Going On? And that's high praise indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The stuff of Legend..., 14 Feb 2006
This review is from: Get Lifted (Audio CD)
Those of us who have our ear to what is going on in the music world would have known about John Legend for a fair few years before this debut album was announced. He has written/produced/played the piano in many hit singles for better-known artists such as Lauren Hill, Alicia Keys, Kanye West and Twista. However, even the most optimistic could not have predicted the soul explosion that was to follow his already glittering behind-the-scenes career.
I can say without a word of exaggeration that this is one of the best albums I have bought...ever! With some throwback soul tracks such as the tear-jerking Ordinary People mixed in with some contemporary Hip Hop-style beats such as I Can Change and Used To Love You from award-winning producer Kanye West, I will never get tired of singing along to this album on the way to work.
The intro really sets the listener in the mood with the soft strokes of the piano from the man himself, leading straight into "Let's Get Lifted", which is almost a narrative of the album by Legend as he prepares you for a foray into the world of neo-soul.
"Used To Love U" follows. This is a catchy, upbeat tune and it is no suprise to me that Legend went for it as his debut single. It definately fits the bill as it has a soulful yet at the same time contemporary Hip Hop feel to it: instant hit.
A particular favourite of mine is the dramatically soulful "So High" (which I am told many people over in the States are getting married to). It is an extremely uplifting song which at the right times has the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.
Possibly the only low point of the album is "I Can Change", which features rapper Snoop Dogg: an ever-so-slightly boring song which Legend and executive producer Kanye West could have done without.
The closing "Live It Up" where his incredible review of his own album combines with colorful production and vinyl crackles brings this instant classic to a conclusion.
Whilst Legend's debut album has been dismissed by some critics as overly-influenced and unoriginal, I would totally disagree as Legend combines many different influences from genres of Gospel, Soul, Soft Rock and Hip Hop into a superb brand of neo-soul which is in fact one of the most original sounds of recent times. Get Lifted is an album that I recommend any soul, Hip Hop, R&B, Pop music fans add to their collection immeadiately.
(It doesn't do Legend any harm that his live show at the Manchester Apollo theatre in 2005 was simply sublime, one of the best concerts I have seen...)

Get Lifted