Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

on 22 November 2011
I had the LP in the 70's and then the CD when it was released in the 80's. I decided to buy this hoping that the sound quality would be improved from the 80's CD. I am very happy to say that the audio is amazing. It hasn't been compressed like the previous CD and the audio is crisp and clear. It is a fantastic collection and surprisingly, the live tracks are as good as, or better than the studio recordings. The harmonies on the live version of Homeward Bound are worth the purchase alone. The CD comes in jewel case. The only criticism (and this is why it loses a star) is that the booklet has no additional notes. Only the track listing.

The track listing is as follows;

1 Mrs. Robinson"
2 For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (live)
3 The Boxer
4 The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (live)
5 The Sound of Silence"
6 I Am a Rock"
7 Scarborough Fair/Canticle
8 Homeward Bound" (live)
9 Bridge over Troubled Water
10 America
11 Kathy's Song" (live)
12 El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
13 Bookends
14 Cecilia
11 comment164 of 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2011
A collection which includes the best selection of Simon and Garfunkel hits. Whenever I start playing it, I just can't decide which one I like best, since I love all of these songs equally. Each appeal to different moods, different memories of mine. "A Bridge over Troubled Water" is the ultimate song about friendship and sacrifice, being there and comforting the ones you love. "Mrs Robinson", the song from the OST of "The Graduate", a cheerful rhythm that only compares with "Cecilia", both songs equally cheeky (I love Cecilia's lyrics "when I come back to bed someone's taken my place").

"The Boxer" and "I am a rock" are both songs of personal strength and standing on your own, while "The sound of silence" is the philosophical message against ignorance, false idols, a bit mournful, yet still soothing.

Personally, I would include others too (Bleecker Street, Keep the customer satisfied, Baby Driver), but then again, according to my opinion, there's hardly a song I can think of that this duo made and that I don't consider a hit.

I recommend this gem of a CD for gifts, for yourself, for whoever knows of them or hasn't yet been initiated.
0Comment42 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2006
H'mm....first bought this album in the mid-seventies.Its a fine intro' to the huge talent of Simon and Garfunkel.The tracks are gleaned from four of their five original albums and as such are a fair sample of those original albums.That said this is still only a sample and there are many fine songs not included here.Still this album contains all their major hits, from their first 'Sounds of Silence' right through to 'Bridge' and 'The Boxer' off their last album.It gives a good cross section of the different type of songs that Simon was so good at creating.From the isolationist 'I Am A Rock' to the merry 'Cecilia'(a plea to St.Cecilia-patron saint of music to come back and assist in the writing of more music), this album covers all moods.There is not one bad track here but mention must be made of the beautiful 'America' and the smash hit 'Mrs Robinson', both taken off the classic album 'Bookends'.
If you enjoy this you should buy the original albums as they are all excellent, even the neglected 'Wednesday Morning 3A.M.'.
Yes a good intro' to their music and excellent value at this price.Buy and enjoy...you can't go wrong!!
0Comment39 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2011
I had to purchase this, as I had the original album on vinyl... As a perfectly sequence piece, there are few albums that come close... it includes live versions of some of the songs, that are better than the studio versions in my opinion (like 'Homeward Bound' & 'Feelin' Groovy')... For me, this is a must have... It doesn't disappoint (on any level...)
0Comment49 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2007
This is a diamond of an album! Some of the songs must have been composed from an alternate world;a world that reflects our inner desires, and one that plucks our heart strings once melodies such as "Emily", "Sound of Silence" and Bridge of Troubled Water. There are no bad or even averagesongs in this album and if I could give six stars,I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
on 11 January 2012
I purchased this as a Birthday Gift and the lady has been very enthusiastic about it. Her grandson was staying with her for a week and CD was played endlessly and she now knows the words to every song! She loved Simon & Garfunkel in yonder year and was delighted to go down memory lane with them.
on 1 November 2012
I'm my youth I had every thing Simon & Garfunkel released, but in my constant moving around I slowly lost it. Then a few weeks ago I heard the sound of silence being played on the radio and it revitalised long lost memories. I checked on Amazon and found Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. Not long after ordering I received the CD and sat back to listen thinking I would be disappointed, as a lot of music from years gone by tends to leave me. I put the CD on with thoughts of embarrassment and I was proved wrong. I recalled what I enjoyed about them and it really was (and still is) music to chill by. That's why I've taken so long in doing a review and should that be an irritation to any one just get it yourself and chill
on 15 March 2010
Greatest Hits
This cd is real value for money and has all the main hits. Without giving my age away it certainly took me back a few years! Listening to the lyrics of some, perhaps particularly 'bridge over troubled water', it's hard to believe messrs Simon and Garfunkel were so young when they wrote them; the words can speak to anyone whatever their age. If you're of a 'certain' age group (!) and like myself haven't yet got any of this duo's music in your collection for some reason, this is a must. If you're younger and are new to the work of Simon and Garfunkel, this cd makes a great introduction to it - at this price you've nothing to lose!
on 18 December 2011
I was looking forward to hearing this cd (2011 version) but disappointed that Amazon dispatched the original version (in error)as they didn't have the product advertised. Therefore check with Amazon before ordering if you want the 2011 version.
on 8 January 2003
In 1972 Simon & Garfunkle got back together for a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden to raise money for George McGovern's presidential campaign. A few weeks later this "Greatest Hits" collection was released. As such this was a rather innovative album in that it live versions of "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her," "Homeward Bound," "Feelin' Groovy," and "Kathy's Song." There is also a previously unissued alternate take of the lovely "America." Consequently, this was a hits collection that was worth buying if you already had all of Simon & Garfunkle's albums. Listening to Garfunkle's live performance of "Emily" is the real treat, since there was a time when that was my favorite song in the whole wide world (and, I should note, the only one of the live versions from this album to make it onto the new "The Best of Simon & Garfunkle" collection). My only complaints with this album are rather trivial, but the applause at the end of the live tracks is way too loud and it seems almost sacrilegious to me that the piano introduction of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" comes out of the applause from "Homeward Bound." Sorry, but there is just something wrong about that. The 1999 collection of "The Best of Simon & Garfunkle" drops "Kathy's Song" and still ends up with six more tracks, so it is clearly superior to this 1972 album, and even those who like to hear the duo in live performance would have to make the 1982 "Concert in Central Park" their first choice.
0Comment25 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse