4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved audio on the 2011 release
Published on 22 Nov 2011 by DD

3.0 out of 5 stars drop the live versions
as i don't think they do their music justice. they certainly don't add anything (unlike some other bands who have excelled as live acts). the song writing is timeless though.
Published on 24 May 2011 by col

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved audio on the 2011 release, 22 Nov 2011
DD (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I had the LP in the 70's and then the CD when it was released in the 80's. I decided to buy this hoping that the sound quality would be improved from the 80's CD. I am very happy to say that the audio is amazing. It hasn't been compressed like the previous CD and the audio is crisp and clear. It is a fantastic collection and surprisingly, the live tracks are as good as, or better than the studio recordings. The harmonies on the live version of Homeward Bound are worth the purchase alone. The CD comes in jewel case. The only criticism (and this is why it loses a star) is that the booklet has no additional notes. Only the track listing.

The track listing is as follows;

1 Mrs. Robinson"
2 For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" (live)
3 The Boxer
4 The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" (live)
5 The Sound of Silence"
6 I Am a Rock"
7 Scarborough Fair/Canticle
8 Homeward Bound" (live)
9 Bridge over Troubled Water
10 America
11 Kathy's Song" (live)
12 El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
13 Bookends
14 Cecilia

5.0 out of 5 stars Simon And Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, 12 Nov 2011
I had to purchase this, as I had the original album on vinyl... As a perfectly sequence piece, there are few albums that come close... it includes live versions of some of the songs, that are better than the studio versions in my opinion (like 'Homeward Bound' & 'Feelin' Groovy')... For me, this is a must have... It doesn't disappoint (on any level...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best from the best singers!, 25 Nov 2011
A collection which includes the best selection of Simon and Garfunkel hits. Whenever I start playing it, I just can't decide which one I like best, since I love all of these songs equally. Each appeal to different moods, different memories of mine. "A Bridge over Troubled Water" is the ultimate song about friendship and sacrifice, being there and comforting the ones you love. "Mrs Robinson", the song from the OST of "The Graduate", a cheerful rhythm that only compares with "Cecilia", both songs equally cheeky (I love Cecilia's lyrics "when I come back to bed someone's taken my place").

"The Boxer" and "I am a rock" are both songs of personal strength and standing on your own, while "The sound of silence" is the philosophical message against ignorance, false idols, a bit mournful, yet still soothing.

Personally, I would include others too (Bleecker Street, Keep the customer satisfied, Baby Driver), but then again, according to my opinion, there's hardly a song I can think of that this duo made and that I don't consider a hit.

I recommend this gem of a CD for gifts, for yourself, for whoever knows of them or hasn't yet been initiated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Magical After All These Years!!......., 10 Mar 2006
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
H'mm....first bought this album in the mid-seventies.Its a fine intro' to the huge talent of Simon and Garfunkel.The tracks are gleaned from four of their five original albums and as such are a fair sample of those original albums.That said this is still only a sample and there are many fine songs not included here.Still this album contains all their major hits, from their first 'Sounds of Silence' right through to 'Bridge' and 'The Boxer' off their last album.It gives a good cross section of the different type of songs that Simon was so good at creating.From the isolationist 'I Am A Rock' to the merry 'Cecilia'(a plea to St.Cecilia-patron saint of music to come back and assist in the writing of more music), this album covers all moods.There is not one bad track here but mention must be made of the beautiful 'America' and the smash hit 'Mrs Robinson', both taken off the classic album 'Bookends'.
If you enjoy this you should buy the original albums as they are all excellent, even the neglected 'Wednesday Morning 3A.M.'.
Yes a good intro' to their music and excellent value at this price.Buy and enjoy...you can't go wrong!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 2011 version, 18 Dec 2011
I was looking forward to hearing this cd (2011 version) but disappointed that Amazon dispatched the original version (in error)as they didn't have the product advertised. Therefore check with Amazon before ordering if you want the 2011 version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as it should be ...., 28 Dec 2011
Poor Old Joe (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This item was just as described, well priced and promptly delivered.
I was a little wary when buying as it was not made absolutely clear that the CD offered was in fact the rereleased version rather then a remainder from the original release.

3.0 out of 5 stars drop the live versions, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Simon And Garfunkel's Greatest Hits (MP3 Download)

4.0 out of 5 stars Simon & Garfunkel's offer up a unique collection of hits, 8 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
In 1972 Simon & Garfunkle got back together for a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden to raise money for George McGovern's presidential campaign. A few weeks later this "Greatest Hits" collection was released. As such this was a rather innovative album in that it live versions of "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her," "Homeward Bound," "Feelin' Groovy," and "Kathy's Song." There is also a previously unissued alternate take of the lovely "America." Consequently, this was a hits collection that was worth buying if you already had all of Simon & Garfunkle's albums. Listening to Garfunkle's live performance of "Emily" is the real treat, since there was a time when that was my favorite song in the whole wide world (and, I should note, the only one of the live versions from this album to make it onto the new "The Best of Simon & Garfunkle" collection). My only complaints with this album are rather trivial, but the applause at the end of the live tracks is way too loud and it seems almost sacrilegious to me that the piano introduction of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" comes out of the applause from "Homeward Bound." Sorry, but there is just something wrong about that. The 1999 collection of "The Best of Simon & Garfunkle" drops "Kathy's Song" and still ends up with six more tracks, so it is clearly superior to this 1972 album, and even those who like to hear the duo in live performance would have to make the 1982 "Concert in Central Park" their first choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my most personal albums, 8 Mar 2007
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This is a diamond of an album! Some of the songs must have been composed from an alternate world;a world that reflects our inner desires, and one that plucks our heart strings once melodies such as "Emily", "Sound of Silence" and Bridge of Troubled Water. There are no bad or even averagesongs in this album and if I could give six stars,I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars near perfection, 27 Jan 2012
Mr. Mark Stevenson "Marcus" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
The songs are wonderful - obviously - but what raises this compilation is the thoughtful sequencing and the live versions of selected tracks which adds another dimension.

Simon And Garfunkel's Greatest Hits