on 1 November 2012
My 2 year old really loves these jigsaws! and is now very quick at doing them. We already had farm animals and diggers, so bought these to expand our collection.

The pictures are great but this time the quality was really poor. Lots of splinters and the pictures have peeled off in several places. The jigsaws are badly cut and dont lie flat when they are together. My son doesn't seem to notice, but I was really quite disappointed
My daughter is jigsaw mad at the moment and so this box of four jigsaws is perfect for taking out and about with us to keep her amused if for example eating out somewhere and obviously it's perfect for at home too.

Each jigsaw has 12 pieces and when built they measure 11.8cm by 17.4cm each.

There are four farm animal designs; Cow, Hen, Horse and Pig and they are each made from wood which is approx 3mm thick. They each have a different shape on the back of their respective designs; circle, square, triangle and diamond to help identify them rather than having to try and work out which pieces belong to which design or of course this could be one way to make the jigsaws a bit more of a challenge for your child as they get older.

They come in a wooden box which has four internal sections to keep the jigsaws separated and the box lid can also be used to build the jigsaws on too. Of course as with most wooden jigsaws there are a few sawdust and splinter pieces that come off the jigsaws on the first couple of uses and so I just built and re-built them a few times before giving them to my daughter which got all of the loose pieces off.

I love Melissa & Doug toys and always turn to them rather than even ELC toys nowadays and as usual this is made to the normal high quality that all of my purchases of this brand have been. I have also just ordered the Dinosaur version of this set as this set is so good and no doubt will end up getting some of the other versions that are available in the near future.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 24 January 2013
Four nice looking puzzles in a great storage box.
The pieces lack finishing and will give you splinters. You have to use force to piece them together, so not a good learners set.
Cute pictures and varying difficulty.
I would have preferred colour coding rather than symbols.
on 1 April 2014
I have bought it in 2014 and so far the quality seems quite good. The pictures look painted directly on wood -- not glued-on pieces of paper. Puzzle pieces fit together nicely. They are a bit thin, so a very determined 2 year old might snap them, but you are supposed to watch 2yo playing with it anyway. Anyway, there were no such attempts from both of my daughters. Being made from wood some splinters appears on the edges, particularly if pieces are 'forced to fit'. But again, I did not have a cause for concern so far. Box will almost certainly crack, if dropped from the table to the hard floor, but wouldn't?

As to 'playability' and 'educational value' they both are excellent. I showed this puzzle to girls about a month before their 2nd birthday and they grasped the idea pretty fast (they were confidently assembling 4-pieces jigsaw puzzles by that time). 3 months later they are still enjoying it -- trying to assemble them almost every evening after dinner. They are close to assemble them completely on their own by now.

Finally, as there are four puzzles in box, if you are (un)lucky enough to get twins you can get away with buying a single set for both of them. I introduced first two puzzles, then another two in couple of weeks to maintain interest. I certainly going to buy at least one more set (of different animals) in near future.
on 7 November 2013
The handy storage box keeps the pieces together, and the fact that each piece has 1 of 4 symbols on the reverse is very useful when trying to put them back into the correct section of the box.
on 9 November 2013
My two year old loves this and her four year old brother plays with it quite often too...its a great puzzle starter for children who like puzzles and excellent quality.
on 6 May 2014
although the size was on the description I didn't think to actively measure. It is very small and very fiddly and not very well made
on 28 February 2013
great colours lovely puzzle broght this for my grandaughter she loves it worth the money would reccomend anyone to buy this puzzle
on 25 March 2015
Brilliant. Our 2 year old loves these- great quality once again from Melissa and Doug. They sure understand little kids!!
on 29 May 2016
Nice puzzle. My son loved it but one of the animals (the chicken) was there twice. No pig in my puzzle box.