5.0 out of 5 stars Purest western!, 18 Aug 2003
F. Cortiglioni "Diopippo" (Bologna, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honky Tonk Heroes (Audio CD)
Imagine a lost land, a fire, a kettle and warm smell of coffee spreading. Imagine desert and cows, and people singing around the fire. You got it. I love this album by Waylon Jennings because it's full of this old style country-western: from "Honky Tonk Heroes" to "Willy The Wandering Gypsy And Me", till the slow and melancholic "We Had It All", it will bring up the lost spirit so much sung by all the old "cowboy gang" consisting of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Willy Nelson. In this album he alone gathers all the warmth and strength of the one true American music.
Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, but not as good as "Dreaming My Dreams", 19 April 2013
Mrs. M. Walsh "Maw." (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honky Tonk Heroes (Audio CD)
This is a good album, and if your a Waylon Jennings fan you will probably have it in your collection. A lot of Waylon fans would say that this is his definative moment in country music, but I would differ from those holding this view, his "Dreaming My Dreams" album for me is still Waylon's finest moment. Whilst "Honky Tonk Heroes" might be the first outlaw type recording to be made, I still believe that "Dreaming My Dreams" is still the better and more accessible of the two albums. The one outstanding track for me on "Honky Tonk Heroes" is "Old Five and Dimers" with "You asked me to" a close second. On "Dreaming My Dreams" nearly every track is a winner, and the whole album just flows. Maybe it is the low key playing on the "Dreaming My Dreams" album that makes it seem to flow, I don't know, but of the two albums mentioned "Dreaming My Dreams" would always come first. If ever I am asked to recommend a Waylon Jennings album I always start with the "Dreaming My Dreams" cd and so far I have as yet to receive anything other than good feedback. At the end of the day, opinions and musical tastes differ, but for me if you want to hear the best of Waylon Jennings, start with "Dreaming My Dreams" Mrs. M Walsh. "Maw"

Honky Tonk Heroes