5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read on kindle
An excellent read on the kindle (which seems particularly well suited to periodicals). I actually enjoy this more on Kindle than on paper, the presentation is good and article selection astute. It makes me chuckle often. Occasionally it informs me too. Between this and The Spectator all bases are covered.
Recommended.
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by Duck Meister

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but ultimately infuriating
Published 3 months ago by Andrew Mulholland

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read on kindle, 2 Jan 2011
Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 8 Oct 2010
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
I've been very impressed by my subscription to the 'New Statesman' and how it is presented on the Kindle. The writing is insightful and gives an interesting take on the news and the formatting makes it an easy read. I don't know if it would be a replacement for a paper copy but it's definitely worth giving it a go through the free trial.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the subscription, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
Since purchasing my Kindle (latest version) I've dabbled with some newspaper trials but always felt that I was getting a substantially poorer experience at a fractionally cheaper price. I've been reading the New Statesmen for a few months now and I have been much happier with the format and the amount of content provided. The price is also very reasonable in comparison to the print edition. The tone of the magazine is left of centre and occasionally a bit too far left for my tastes, but the free trial will allow readers to decide if this is palatable to their own political sensibilities. Like most Kindle journals, a few more images would perhaps brighten things up but otherwise this is a good choice for a weekly commentary on UK current affairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the newspapers and excellent articles and reviews, 29 Jan 2011
Jonathan Spencer (E.Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
I have just taken out a subscription after buying a one off last weekend when I also bought the Times as a one off. Newspapers just dont work, sorry guys, but they just don't.
However the NS as a magazine is good on paper but somehow better on the kindle... I prefer the kindle version to the paper one. The way it reads and is laid out is excellent, the standard of articles is good and the review section, I especially enjoyed. Ok its left of centre but even for those who are not, it is insightful, articulate and well presented.

A good mixture of serious and humour and in depth intelligent articles and reviews. Top Marks, whether left or right give it a try, it knocks the papers for six.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but ultimately infuriating, 2 May 2014
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
NS is an excellent hard copy magazine. Although extremely cheap, the Kindle version really is not worth bothering with, however. As others have noted, navigation is nearly impossible. The contents seem to be 'organised' in an almost random manner, so that a regular writer will be in one section one week, another the next. Indeed, the section names themselves change every couple of weeks. Author's names do not appear in the contents list. Your only choice is to click through everything.

Most importantly though, important content from the news-stand version is omitted. In recent months this has included two cover stories - that of Robert Skidelsky on economics and in the current issue (2.5.14), the piece on Islaam. I've struggled with the Kindle version of NS for over a year. I'd gladly pay more for a decent product, but I'm fed up with this. Such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle is a great medium for delivering this magazine, 11 July 2011
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
I simply have to agree with the positive reviews for this publication - very easy to navigate around the articles - I throughly enjoyed the content. I certainly think I will keep this subscription going so I can keep in touch with the mood in the UK while I spend long months in The Gambia.

3.0 out of 5 stars Please be more clear regarding free trials!, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
It's a shame I have to give a 3 as I find the content of the magazine rather satisfactory, but I am peeved about only receiving a 14 day free trial when Amazon advertise a 30 day free trial on the website. Please be clear as to how long the trials are for every specific publication, Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised!!!, 29 Oct 2010
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
I subscribed to NS on my Kindle as it has a larger screen than my phone. I am very disappointed as more than half thhe topics are not available, the comments are unavailable and the number of articles in each topic is quite low.
I had thought I was subscribing to the online version of NS but sadly it is back to my mobile to view online.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, 29 Aug 2014
T. Harris (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
Although it is stated in the description (at the bottom and out of the way), I was surprised to find that the Kindle edition does not contain all the articles from the print magazine. While it is to be expected that illustrations may not be included there seems to be no logic in which articles from the print edition will or won't appear, to the extent that the front cover can be misleading. The inclusion of the letters page seems slightly pointless when you cannot read the articles that the letters refer too. The quality of the writing is excellent, so it's a shame that we don't get all of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful mag, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: New Statesman (Kindle Edition)
I love the New Statesman anyway and it's fantastic to be able to read it on Kindle as it suits my eyesight better!

New Statesman