5.0 out of 5 stars The best sql book I've seen.
Published on 29 Jun. 2008 by R Leslie

3.0 out of 5 stars SQL Cooks
I needed an SQL book to give me some assistance with some coding I was working on.

Being new to SQL, I found this book to be very helpful. The examples are good, easy to follow and have allowed me to carry on with my work.

A useful book to have in your library.
Published on 26 Sept. 2011 by The Dapper Dude

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sql book I've seen., 29 Jun. 2008
The book claims its audience ranges from novices to sql experts (who need to use a different sql platform), and I have to agree. Since it explains a lot about set theory, and how sql works, I doubt it will be out-of-date any time soon. The author describes it as a collection of common SQL problems and their solutions, which is true. What really makes this book special is that I find myself working through examples on my home database for fun. I've used SQL since the early 90s (on Oracle) and have not come across such a useful yet enjoyable book before. The only small errata I found was on page 336 (where the mysql subquery needed an alias), so I suspect there may be a few others - there are examples given for the main platforms - Postgre, Oracle, DB2, Sql Server etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SQL guide, 7 Nov. 2010
I haven't written a review on Amazon before. The lack of reviews about this book have prompted me to write.

I find the O'Reilly books variable in quality. Most computing instruction books are either for readers new to the subject or for advanced users only. Also, many fail to provide a conceptual basis against which to compare examples.

This book fits into a small group of books that me and my programming team refer to often. I can recommend it whole-heartedly.

For example, I have just reread the Appendix on Window Functions as we are about to move to Postgresql 9. In introduction the text provides a very useful description of what grouping means in conceptual terms, an includes an illuminating summary of Frege's Axiom and Russell's Paradox. This conceptual underpinning is then reinforced by many practical examples described in lucid prose.

An excellent book.

3.0 out of 5 stars SQL Cooks, 26 Sept. 2011

A useful book to have in your library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 23 April 2014
Michael Bironneau (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a quick reference for my job. I find it very helpful and some of the tricks, explained concisely and with easy-to-follow examples, saved me a lot of time. The comparison of solutions for various DB provides (Oracle, SQL Server...) is very clear and also serves as an interesting point of reference for someone who is comparing providers. Some statistical functions are supported out of the box in Oracle, while they are not in SQL Server, for example.

However, I would like to have seen a brief discussion of the impact of window functions on performance in addition to (or instead of) the needlessly abstract explanations in the appendix. More generally, some quick tips on optimizing the performance of queries would have been helpful, and could have been done without straying beyond the scope of the book. That said, from the point of view of a developer in need of quick answers this book does exactly what it promises - helps the reader rapidly identify a solution to most problems involving SQL databases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 6 Aug. 2013
I purchased this and another book for my staff at the office,. they had used SQL a little and started to learn it. These guys are now flying and are now quite advanced

5.0 out of 5 stars SQL Cookbook, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: SQL Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly)) (Kindle Edition)
I have bought many SQL books to learn from. All go on about the old days and how it all started.
What the romans did nadda nadda.

This however, straight to the nitty gritty. Giving me instant recognition from my peers.
Making sense much quicker as I have seen results from the start.

Five stars
Cookbooks, the Future!

SQL Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))