on 26 July 2011
This book would have saved me lot of stress (and hair) if it had been available all those years ago when I started the dark art of performance testing! In this very readable book the author provides a clear methodology on how to approach and execute performance tests. It pretty high level stuff (i.e doesnt go a great deal into automation tools) but is a solid introduction to the field. A must read for anyone new to performance testing and especially for any project managers who don't want nightmares the night before the system goes live!
on 22 July 2010
Like most software developers I have always considered testing as something to be done at the end of the development life-cycle, not something to be taken into consideration from the beginning.

In his easy to read book, Ian describes the what, why and how of performance testing in such a way as to encourage even the most test-phobic developer to invest time and resources in testing right from the start.

Five stars and a personal recommendation from me.
on 11 May 2015
Not good enough.

This is the sort of book that tells you very little you couldn't work out for yourself. If you sit down and think about how you might performance test an application then you'll probably be able to write this book on your own without any real experience in performance testing (or at least the main points). I've dipped my toe into performance testing a number of times and always thought that there must be a little more to it, turns out I know about as much as this book was going to tell me.

This book was recommended to me and I can only advise people to go and engage their own brains rather than waste their money.

It's also badly proof read. I spotted at least two occasions where the sentences didn't make sense, along with a number of inconsistencies in the application of grammar.
on 16 February 2009
This is one of those rare computer books because its one you will actually read from cover to cover. I read it in an afternoon and it has changed how all of my future software development projects will be carried out. I learned a lot quickly as its concise but full of info. Cool!
on 26 February 2010
I was a bit disappointed after reading this book I have to say. And that's not because it is a bad book, but for me, as a rather experienced performance tester I discovered nothing new in this book. Everything the book tells I already do that or I do it different.

For a new or inexperienced performance tester it would be a good book to start with I think, because the book explains the performance testing process very clear.