5.0 out of 5 stars JavaScript the language, presented for professional programmers
In this small and dense book you will find JavaScript guru Douglas Crockford's presentation of the beautiful subset of a language that lies within JavaScript as a whole. You can use this subset to write serious programs. Occasionally you might have to use some of what Crockford calls "the bad parts", but at least you'll know the dangers, and how to mitigate them...
Published on 3 Feb. 2009 by A Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
If you haven't used Javascript for more than 6 months, or if you're just startng your journey into the beautiful world of the world's most misunderstood language, do NOT buy this book. This book is full of good advice, but it is written in a style and language which will make sense only to professional javascript programmers.
I'd suggest that you read the Rhino...
Published on 5 Feb. 2010 by A. T. Jadhav

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very worth reading for all developers who do even a little JS., 27 July 2014
This review is from: JavaScript: The Good Parts: The Good Parts (Kindle Edition)
Totally changed how I thought of JavaScript. I now feel like I can think comfortably in "the good parts" subset, and write code which I can understand later, which is clean, clear, and much less error-prone. I'm a Python programmer most of the time, but this book made me feel as if I could write JS all day if I needed to without getting too overly frustrated with the warts of "the bad parts".

Very worth while reading, even if you only do a small amount of JS.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm only halfway through it and I'm finding that's it not an easy read, particularly the bit about prototypical inheritance, 23 Feb. 2015
I bought it at the recommendation of several people at my workplace. I'm only halfway through it and I'm finding that's it not an easy read, particularly the bit about prototypical inheritance.

I'll persevere but it looks like I'll probably have to re-read it to get some of the hairier concepts, coming from a Java background as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 12 Sept. 2012
I confess: I started using JavaScript with almost no training (on the premise that "It's C-lish, after all..."), wrote a couple of short programs, and backed away from it in disgust.

Then I saw the Google Tech Talk gave by the author about this title, and as he was talking about the usual approach to JavaScript, and about how wrong it is, I found he was speaking about me: his points where compelling, the presentation witty, and so "why not buy the book and give JavaScript a second chance?!", I thought. As it turned out, the book is even better than the talk.

The author peels all the dangerous and mostly unnecessary features out of JavaScript (also showing how to work around the ones that cannot be avoided) and, with my great surprise, uncovers a sub-language which is both powerful, expressive and beautiful in its design.

Still, the greatest quality of this book is not its teaching JavaScript, but the way it gives voice and dignity to the process of subtraction and refinement we all use (although often shamefully reluctant to admit it), when it comes to coding (or cooking with a microwave owen, as the author points out): programming languages are imperfect creations, and being a good hacker is not a matter of using each and every feature, but instead it requires the wisdom to discern between the ones worth using and the ones to avoid.

The book is tough to grasp when it comes to getting all the subtleties (at least for people with little or no Javascript experience, as I am), but it will be worth your while and efforts. Warmly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you already know how to program., 25 April 2011
I have been programming for longer than I care to remember. These days I use mainly PHP, though have dabbled with Javascript and jQuery when I have been unable to avoid doing so. Given that Javascript has regained a lot of its previous popularity, and is once again socially acceptable, I thought it was about time that I got to grips with it properly.

Typical javascript books seem to be aimed at beginners to programming, or experienced javascript programmers. The latter tend to sail over my head unless they come with decent examples. The former are frustratingly terse when it comes to the meaty matters that you really need to get to grips with if you want to take the language seriously. I guess their logic is that to dwell on such matters would scare the newcomer off.

This book, treads a great middle ground. It is written by somebody who quite clearly knows an awful lot about programming in a variety of languages. In this book, he succinctly explains all the good bits of Javascript that you should be sticking to as much as possible, and also highlights the bad stuff. The thing is, once you have read it a couple of times (it is a short book), not only will you be able to write good javascript code, but you will also be able to forgive javascript for some of the terrible stuff.

Note though, that this book doesn't go into any detail about web matters. You will get no utility functions for manipulating the DOM or anything funky like that. What you will get though, is a thorough grounding in Javascript, the core language, itself.

Prior to reading this book, I have been writing my own lightbox routine. Naturally I having been looking at other examples to see how they did it, but I tended to get lost following their code. Thanks to this book, it all makes a lot more sense.

This is a thoroughly good read IF you are a programmer already, wanting to learn Javascript properly. If you are looking for a few quick fixes, then this book is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Javascript developers, 20 Jun. 2014
This book is a must for any Javascript developer. It will make you a better javascript developer by giving you a very thorough walk through of some of the best features of the language, while helping you avoid some of the pitfalls which inexperienced (and some experienced) developers can fall into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, concise book, 12 Oct. 2011
I've been a C++ developer for quite some time now. I wrote a few simple web apps recently, using a lot of trial and error (and Google of course) to write and debug the JavaScript code. Many things were not clear to me, e.g. scope of variables, closures, and the language approach for object orientation, inheritance, functions vs. objects. I bought this book hoping to improve my understanding and I found great, clear explanations on all the questions I had as well as new, fresh perspectives from both JavaScript and the book author on classical areas like inheritance.

The book is quite small, I read it in just a few days, but it has all the information I needed. I also bought JavaScript: The Definitive Guide and I really like it too, but it's a different type of book: The Definitive Guide is a thick book, one you probably don't wan't (or can't afford) to read from beginning to end, but it is a great, thorough reference book; The Good Parts on the other hand is a thin book, you can read it all and get great explanations, ideas and suggestions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice, 20 Dec. 2008
Mr. S. Crook (Way out west) - See all my reviews
It would make useful reading for someone just starting out with some Javascript programming or, for someone who's been picking it as they went along wants to adopt a more robust and maintainable coding style (that's me). If you want to learn how to program Javascript or want a reference manual, look elsewhere.

There's lots of good information on using Functions, Methods, Closures and Memoisation and others as they were intended to be used. Equally interesting is the section on the bad features. The bit about === and == was something of an eye opener for me (my backgrounds c, c++ and Java).

The examples are short but informative.

The only thing that's stopped it getting 5 stars is the generous whitespace and some rather pointless (IMO) rail road diagrams...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic resource and has been added to my reference bookshelf, 7 Aug. 2014
This is a fantastic resource and has been added to my reference bookshelf. I've found it a tad complex in places but this forces me to read more while trying to understand...

Great read and worth the effort

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 16 May 2014
For those who know JavaScript from J query this is such an eye opener. Find the best ways you can use JS as fully featured programming language. I've read this as pre-material for my node.js learning

5.0 out of 5 stars All Js programmer should read, 6 April 2015
Great to improve your knowledge about the language
Like in my case, have been working with js for long but never went deep, should have read it since I began
Strongly recommend