5.0 out of 5 stars just one word "perfect", 7 May 2008
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Paperback)
Not being an IT pro, I am kind of average joe who when in need of something new to learn googles for it first or reads forums to get an impression of the scale. The task we had a year back was to install mail server in a small company network that never had any server before. And there you have it: one task pulls another and you need more knowledge, more books and more time to accomplish it. After all we had to get few things done for proper internetworking within our small business, something we have never had before: users authentication, files sharing, DNS resolution, mailing and most importantly backing up all that stuff. Not an easy thing when you first planned on running an e-mail server only and had no idea it would require fundamental re-structuring and investing.

Anyhow, I would like to say big big thank you to authors as the book helped us immensely in completing DNS and network design part almost in no time. There was no technology we came across that went on so smoothly. Clearly explained examples (tens of them), ready and working codes for most of the situations, plus great insight on probably all aspects of DNS integration into small business network - all that saved us time, hair and money as we tackled the tasks ourselves.

Recently, we have replaced our Exchange mail server with Solaris (Comm Suite) one and can't be happier. The book was in use again and again it was dead easy to configure and run BIND. Exactly as described. Very happy reader, would recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of the Internet age!, 28 Dec 2007
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Paperback)
This is now my 3rd copy of this book, I'm reviewing the 5th edition that I have just upgraded to. There isn't too much to say about this book really, if you are going to be administering DNS, especially so if you are using BIND then you need this book. The layout of information and the immense readability of it is fantastic.

I read my first copy nearly 10 years ago and with each upgrade (I've skipped every other one ish) it just keep itself current without backtracking. The familiarity of the book is a great bonus for me as I know I can pick up the new edition in another 5 years time and just get the new and relevant information that I need from it while still finding any example or detail quickly. As a sysadmin who has been doing DNS for nearly 10 years this is one of the books I would not want to be without.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BIBLE OF DNS!, 20 April 2008
D. Matthews "Dave Matthews" (West End, Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Paperback)
When people hear about DNS, they go, "Eh, what?" - DNS is very important to the Internet and anyone a I.T professional should consider buying a copy and reading it.

This book is a MUST for professionals. I have personally kept up to date with the editions of these books and totally recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Admin must read, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Paperback)
You can set up DNS by following instructions found on The Internet, but if anything goes wrong you could spend considerable time looking for relevant information to fix it, and even more time making sense of the, sometimes conflicting, advice/explanations.

I am still reading this book (currently finishing chapter 4), but I have found it full of well structured information that puts DSN and BIND into context so the rather brief explanations of setting up a DNS server that I have read elsewhere now make much more sense. By the end of chapter 4 I should be able to get my server set up and accessible from The Internet, if required, and be confident that it will do what I expect. Later chapters provide information about other configurations, troubleshooting, expanding the network, security etc.
For a technical reference, I am finding this book to be easy to read.

If you are intending to have your own server on The Internet then I would classify this book as essential.
If you just want to get DNS working correctly within your own organisation or personal small network this book should simplify life considerably.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, A MUST HAVE FOR ANY COMPUTER SCIENTIST, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Paperback)
This book is a very complete guide to the whole DNS system. I'm not working with BIND and I just bought this book out of my curiosity to know more about the inner works of the Internet, and I'm very very happy. This book also covers a bit of IPv6.

It is very friendly and easy to read, so easy that this is one of the books that I read when I'm tired at the end of the day, and I can read it clearly!

This book should be in any Comp. Scien. book shell!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised!, 31 May 2012
Iain (South West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Kindle Edition)
Sliding into the role of systems administrator for a non-profit organisation my heart sank at the prospect of 'just one more piece of technology' - namely the DNS aspect of single login and reliably sending out newsletter emails and thus setting up Kerberos, LDAP and DKIM resource records - that needed to be understood, rather than remaining blind and following (some excellent) recipes on howtoforge, for examlple. However, after taking in the first part of this well-presented material, I was surprised to find that I was now interested in the subject and gaining the necessary cognitive model to confidently tackle this part of the systems admin puzzle.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good general reference., 29 Jun 2009
G. D. Hewitt - See all my reviews
This review is from: DNS and BIND (Paperback)
Clearly laid out and simple to understand. Written in a fashion that's not too dull.

DNS and BIND