Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 4 January 2008
This book is simply brilliant in explaining css in a clear and engaging way. It's broken into logical sections which allows for easy review of just the subjects needed for later. It's more an introduction to the power of css than the basics and you walk away from it with more than a fair share of tools and tricks for your own web development pleasure.

It probably doesn't answer every css question but it goes a very long way!
on 27 February 2007
I read this after having some experience of CSS, mostly picked-up 'on the job' as needed. This book gave me a good insight into why CSS based sites are a good idea. There are loads of internet links as you read so I found I needed a laptop available. I also found the tutorials good; not too lengthy and just enough assumed knowledge. Highly recommended.
on 29 September 2008
What a great book on CSS. If you are a beginner like me, this is a must, but you should have some idea of html, even if your knowledge is basic. I started with Dreamweaver CS3 the missing manual, and I haven't looked back.
Thanks Mr Mcfarland. Great Book!!
on 25 October 2007
I have to say this is one of the best "put together" books I have come across. All the subjects are well explained and in an easy to follow order. The examples and exercises are very useful. There are also some very useful websites mentioned.

If you are starting out on web design this is the perfect book to get you up and running quickly. You will have a good looking and working website for people to admire.
on 27 May 2010
CSS:The missing manual is an absolutely brilliant book. The book is really easy to read. I really like that author decided to explain everything for beginners (from how to implement css to choosing specific doctype and the reasons behind it) but in the same time he does not spend to much time on instructing how to find notepad on your pc, or how to save file, it is just straight to the point book.

When I have ordered this book I thought that it is going to be another book which will present the css classes/pseudo-classes etc. but I was positively surprised when I have opened the book that it was nothing like that. Of course author had to explain the basics but then he encourages the reader to try what he learnt in a tutorials that I found very useful. The practice sessions are not only about the code, but they also give you a hint when it comes to design which I believe CSS is all about.

Although, the book is great I could only mention on one thing, the paper on which the book is printed seems to be very weak and thin, but considering the fact that book has over 500 pages it makes it lighter and easier to carry in your bag,

Summing up, the book is great, it is very informative and easy to read. A must have for all everyone!
on 26 September 2008
I think this is one of the best technical books I've ever read and it's done with style and humour. I started the book with some very basic knowledge of CSS and finished it feeling far more confident. The structure of the book is excellent with each chapter having an introduction to the topic that you can read anywhere and then ending with an exercise where you put the knowledge into practice.

Don't hesistate. If you want to learn CSS then this is the book you should get.
on 24 April 2008
This book really is very well laid out.

The tutorials take you through the concepts step by step so you can see the effect of each of the rules you enter, and show you why certain rules work in certain ways thus doing a great job of de-mistifying CSS.

The book is also chock-full of URLs for resources and further details on the techniques.

All in all, one of the best coding books I've ever purchased.
on 9 May 2008
I wouldn't recommend it to a raw beginner as it does jump in pretty quickly, but I've got a (very) basic grounding on CSS and found it excellent.
The chapters are sensibly organised, the text is easy to read (for font, style and grammar), there's a humour through it to keep it light, and it even suggests that you might want to skip some bits because they're not essential. The tutorials add to the same 'tutorial site' throughout the whole book, so as you work through the chapters there's continuity in the tutorials and you can really see the effects of what you've learned at the end of each chapter.
This book has got the info I need, and has the feel of being written by a programmer who's read many a manual in his time and has now written the book we've all been looking for, in the format we want.
I've since purchased 3 other books from the missing manual series and would recommend all of them.
on 3 May 2009
This book is quite simply the most easy-to-read technical book that I own. It is primarily aimed at beginners to XHTML and CSS so if you're a seasoned developer it may well be a little slow-paced for you. However, if you are just starting to learn about web authoring then this book manages to introduce XHTML and CSS in an entertaining and clear fashion.

The tutorials throughout are great for putting into practice the content of each chapter. Also, the companion website featuring sample files and errata, etc is useful.
on 24 March 2009
The Missing Manual books never cease to amaze me. This book is a great companion book to Dreamweaver CS4 The Missing Manual. It fills in all the gaps, and is suitable for beginners upwards.

By the time you have finished the book you'll be very proficient at using CSS. Its a great reference book and its easy to find the bits you need.

I highly recommend this book if you want to know about how to impliment CSS into your web pages. Its a must have in todays technology where CSS rules.

Stuart