5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, effective and reliable earplugs.
Published on 31 May 2010 by M. Stuart-Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Might work for people with big ear canals
Published on 8 May 2012 by Alexander V

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, effective and reliable earplugs., 31 May 2010
M. Stuart-Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 20 Pairs of Howard Leight MAX 1 Ear Plugs (Tools & Hardware)
I bought these on the strength of an article in the Guardian newspaper ( UK ), about the writer's search for earplug nirvana. Effectiveness, comfort, durability and cost were all considered - these earplugs score highly in all fields. With them in, I cannot hear the radio my husband is listening to, or, more importantly, his snoring when he falls asleep. The tapered shape and flange mean that they are more comfortable to wear, whilst retaining effective noise-blocking. I wear earplugs almost every night, and don't get sore ear canals ( as I have done with other earplugs). I do reuse them about seven times, but find that they become less effective with use. However, they are not expensive and represent good value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Might work for people with big ear canals, 8 May 2012
Well like many others, I bought these based on good reviews, and was disappointed. Let me preface this by saying that I have tinnitus and hyperacusis (not horrible but bad), and I find some noises unbearable (traffic, buses, crowded places, planes etc), so I wear earplugs a lot when I'm out and about to maintain a level of sanity, so I've tried a lot of types or earplugs.

These are by far the worst - the problem is the foam - unlike any other kind of earplug this one does not keep its compressed form for more than 1 second. So basically when you're not applying pressure they go back to fully expanded, which makes proper insertion impossible, at least for my (normal I think) ear canal. And even with flash like speed - meaning squishing them right outside the ear and then rushing to get them in they don't work, you always feel them pushing in, which is what you never want with earplugs, because A) that means they're not taking the form of your ear canal, and therefore not providing good protection and B) you're pushing back earwax, impacting it on the tympanic membrane, which is bad (the same reason you're not supposed to stick cotton buds in ears).

These are pretty much useless really, and I doubt I'm doing it wrong since I've been doing this for over 2 years.

Instead of getting these do yourself a favour and get 3M 1100 earplugs, they're made from the best memory foam I've ever seen, have the same SNR rating (37) and are super comfortable. You can't find normal quantities on Amazon (e.g less than 100 pairs but you can find them on e bay)

4.0 out of 5 stars Blocks out horrid flatmates!!!, 14 April 2011
I moved into Halls of Residence in October when I started my Masters degree in London. Long story short, the people I live with were inconsiderate...ahem. They would stay up all night talking, I say talking, I mean shouting, playing music club level loud and despite numerous noise complaints did not stop. Barely getting any sleep was affecting my studies....who knows what it did to theres (they are also Masters students), so I decided to buy some ear plugs. I don't sleep with them every night, I tend to have them by the side of my bed, and if i get woken up, as i inevitably do, I stick them in. They are really easy to put in, however my ears do hurt after wearing them all night, but that could be more specifically related to me as I have my tragus pierced and thats what hurt most in the morning.

They don't block out background noise completely so if your a light sleeper these may not be for you. They do sufficiently muffle background noise though. I find if i have these in, then put my tv on a low volume I can't hear the music or shouting. I would recommend these to any student who is living with hellish people!!!

I think your supposed to use a new pack every night but I normally get about 4 days use out of mine. So they are really worth the value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Sep 2010
Tried a few different types of ear plug including the gel putty type ones but they didnt work too well with the girlfriends snoring. These things worked a treat as she is really loud without them and you cant beat the price either, would definately recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best earplugs, 2 May 2011
For someone who has terrible sleep problems I find these total life savers. I've tried nearly every earplug on the market and these ones are my favourites. They are comfortable and block out most noise.. although I always hear my alarm in the morning, therefore they are perfect. And cheap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace with comfort, 12 April 2011
These are amazingly comfortable. Even if you have a small outer ear canal, you should find these easy to insert - they compress down to no more than two or three millimetres in thickness, and expand again quite rapidly. Sound reduction is very impressive. If, like me, you have had problems in the past with the rather more unyielding foam plugs of old, you will find these a revelation in comfort.

4.0 out of 5 stars sleep tight, 8 April 2011
I bought the Howard Leight Max 1 ear plugs to help me have a more restfull nights sleep,as I suffer from tinitus and can also hear the night ambient noises when trying to get to sleep. Although they donot fully block the Tinitus (I did not expect them to) they are a help. As for the night ambient noises the work a treat and just for this are well worth the price. I would recomend any one with the same problem to give them a try.(sleep tight).

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for blocking sound, not so confortable however., 16 Dec 2010
They are GREAT for blocking sound, you can not hear the annoying computer, fan, or shouts at your home, but you can hear when they knock at your door or talk to you (altough it is dim).

They are wonderful for studying that is what i use them for, but after 2-3 hours your head might hurt a little and you have to pull them of halfway.

That said, if you don't mind that, they are perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 10 July 2010
I have an unfortunately creaky bed. And I have an unfortunate habit of moving around a lot at night. And I have unfortunately noisy bovine neighbors who choose to moo loudly at the dead of night.
These earplugs block out all of those unfortunate noises and don't cost much at all. They are comfortable and plentiful and do exactly what earplugs should do. They do seem to be better suited to my left ear than my right, for some reason. But they're still wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant praise them enough., 24 May 2011
POPs "APervaze" (MANCHESTER, LANCASHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have tried many earplugs due to a very loud snoring partner.
After trying many types of earplugs I have found these are the ones that do the job
They are comfortable and I can at last get some sleep.
Cant praise them enough.