5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected.
Let me just start by saying game is better than I first expected, simply because open world free-roam games are nothing new anymore, particularly from rockstar and personally I feel that the GTA series has really reached the end because there isn't really much scope left for another game. Rockstar possibly feel the same way, so they have been putting all their heart into...
Published on 25 May 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars A major disappointment
One of my initial thoughts when playing Red Dead Redemption for the first time was that it looked beautiful. And it does. However, when I began to move my character I was immediately disappointed. One thing Rockstar cannot do well is smooth character movement and responsive controls. Play any other decent third-person game and you'll know what I mean.

I had...
Published on 20 Jun 2012 by Uther Doul

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic game!!!, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
It's 36 hours I'm Playing RDR and there's still job to do!! It's a never-ending game, never-boring and highly exiting!
I fairly suggest to play it the soon as you can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fun for grown ups in 2012, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
How often have you re-experienced a fondly remembered TV program, film or game from the past, only to be disapponted? Well I loaded this up again for the first time in a couple of years and if anything it feels even better than when it first came out. For me, the sheer escapism of roaming the open countryside with immersive scenery, weather and soundtrack is a great way to de-stress after the pressures of work. The journeys between settlements are perhaps a bit too eventful, but it's only a game after all. Homage is paid to a lot of great Western films, which I hope will bring a knowing smile to your face as it did mine.

Sadly, the TV networks in the UK don't bother organising a themed series of weekly films anymore. Sometimes I still find myself scanning the channel guide on Sunday nights, somehow hoping to find Moviedrome has returned to expand my mind again. Occasionally the genre or 10 minute introduction didn't interest me, but trusting the judgement of the creators, I was never disappointed. This is how I discovered many of my favourite films, which I would never otherwise have seen. But with more choice now available, we seem inclined only to choose things we already think we would like.

And so it is with Red Dead Redemption. Even if you're not drawn to the Western theme I dare you not to like this. It's an adults only affair with lots of shooting, women screaming, hanging, swearing, more shooting and lots of killing on all sides. Interested? The storyline wouldn't make the bestseller list as a standalone book, but that's really not the point with this one. You can almost feel the trail dust sticking to your clothes and getting in your eyes and mouth as you weave your horse along a cactus lined track on your way to some god forsaken town. You are the star of the film. At the current price, you really don't need to give it much thought - be decisive and just do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild West Mayhem, 22 Dec 2010
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
A friend of mine recommended this to me and I'm addicted! This game is more addictive than anything you can imagine. I have played an hour or so of the main story mode which is graphically amazing with great cut scenes and great voice-over acting (nothing hammy or over-acted like in some games).
The main story introduces you to key characters, the main story line and the controls. I'd love to write more about the main story but I can't as I am spending 4-5 hours a night playing the online mode.
The online mode is a massive free roam with up to 16 players in any session. You can play Friendly (you can't be shot or harmed by other players in the session), Normal or Hardcore.
Within any session, you can be an individual, join a posse or form a posse. I prefer to be part of a posse. The posse leader marks on the map where he wants everyone to go and everyone in the posse has a light blue 'route' appear that you can follow to the next objective/target. There are hideouts to clear out (for which you are rewarded with experience to level up), objectives to achieve to advance your character (these are numerous and in different categories such as Survivalist - collecting different plants, Sharpshooter - skills with guns, Hunter - killing different animals, Outlaw - achieving a specific bounty total on your head, Lawman - clearing out different combinations of hideouts).
Personally, I like to clear a few hideouts with a posse and then storm into the nearest town and shoot the place up. Your bounty rises with each lawman/citizen you kill. The lawmen are never ending so it's only a matter of time before you a brought to justice but it's great fun being able to be both good and bad within the game.
There is some stunning scenery and the hideouts are very varied from Hacienda's in Mexico, to ranches and fort's in the US.
I'm not a master with game controls but found these easy to pick up so would highly recommend this game to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
It's hard to add any more superlatives to this brilliant game which im sure will be on most peoples top 5 games of the year list (though this should be a shoe in for the top 3 given what a poor yr its been for games so far!!)

This isn't a game you'll knock off in a weekend,even if your a hardcore gamer and sit on your PS3 all day you still won't do this game in a couple of days..it's that long ! This is a real value for money game, not like those lame C.O.D games that take you about 5 hrs to complete..this is the real deal! Now im not a hardcore gamer and can leave my PS3 alone for a few days at a time but this still took me the best part of 4 months to complete! but i did do virtually everything this game had to offer,all missions,side missions,extras etc.

The story is fantastic and the game has so much to offer,you can easily just immerse yourself here like it was a real place,you can do anything,become a killer or take the right path and do good. The side missions are just as good a lot of the time as the main story one's so id recommend you do those too.

The game is hugely expansive with a massive map to explore,the map is based in 3 sections which open up as the story progress's, the graphics are superb and the voice work is excellent,especially the actor who voices john marsden. Its a wonder why dubbed films cant get people of this calibre!

There are some annoyances here and there, bumping into people either on foot or by horse can end badly for you..i was just about to complete a mission when i accidentally bumped into someone in the street and i suddenly became a wanted fugitive!..really annoying !. That said all these are nitpicks really.

Red dead redemption is one of the best games i think i have ever played on any console or format. The story is great with some nice twists and turns along the way,especially towards the end,superb graphics,gameplay..the list is endless. BUYTHIS GAME NOW !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What GTA4 should have been, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
Firstly, I decided to write this in case there were Red Dead Revolver players out there who won't touch this because of it's predecessor. I found Revolver to be a pleasant enough diversion, but not a serious game. In fact I never finished it because the last gunfight was ridiculously difficult. But Red Dead Redemption is a totally different game; infinitely better.

I won't go into the mechanics of the game, enough reviewers have done that. I've compared this to GTA4 (because the game mechanics are so similar), a game which was in my opinion, a total letdown. There was nothing to like about the hero or any of the other game characters, which made it difficult to get enthusiastic about 'helping' him. In fact most of us would probably cheer when Nico dies if it wasn't a game. Red Dead Redemption has John Marston, a pseudonym I think for 'The Man With No Name' of the spaghetti westerns of the 70's (starring who else but Clint). When you get to Mexico you even pick up a poncho so you end up looking just like Clint in 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'.

My only criticism is that the scenery can be so stunning that you miss things on your 'radar'. I've even stopped during the game just to take in the view. You start off in a 'Bonanza' style farmland, moving on to Arizona desert. The 'Monument Valley' area is wonderful and the view over the river in parts resembles the Grand Canyon. Strange that this bit is in Mexico. The other problem with having such beautiful scenery is that it distracts you away from the abundant wildlife that is always ready to take a chunk out of you.

Excellent story (I'm about two thirds through) with some extremely amusing bits. I told my wife that I was collecting flowers for a chap who wanted them for his darling wife (I know - Clint Eastwood collecting flowers?). She thought this was really romantic but... I'm not going to spoil it, wait and see.

As a one time horse owner, I'm very impressed with the movement and 'intelligence' of the horses in the game. If you stop to admire the view, your horse takes the opportunity for a grass break. If you dismount without hitching, your steed may occasionally decide to give you a hard time and make you chase him (very true to life that).

The storms are very atmospheric, especially if you have surround sound. The first time I got into a storm it scared my young son (who loves watching this game), but with 5.1 blaring out the thunder you almost feel like you're getting wet too.

I have to say that I started playing computer games on the good old Spectrum so I've played a few games before, but this is without doubt the best game I've ever played.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Surprisingly Awesome Game I've Ever Played, 12 Sep 2010
C. Pendlebury "Pentdad" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
Okay I play GTA 4 I know it's gonna' be great. I play the new COD- again, it's gonna' be amazing. But I wanted something different, and I sure did find it with Red Dead Redemption.

Firstly, the graphics and setting could be some of the most beautiful ever seen in a videogame. The wilderness is exactly what you would hope for and expect. Birds in the sky, animals running around, nothing on the horizon for miles... it's quite incredible. Rockstar have shown yet again that they are the largest company still willing to take risks. Because this game will not sell a zillion copies, but those of us who have bought it will know how it grips you. Not just the missions, but side missions- one small example is becomming a 'legendary hunter' by hunting all different kinds of creature. It's just one small part, one small example, of a huge game. Hell you can even go around collecting herbs and plants if you like to become a legendary survivalist.

It's just... stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, 1 Sep 2010
Blue hunter (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
I just wanted to share my opinion of this game,even though many reviews have already been done.However in my opinion this game is just brilliant.I have always liked the GTA series and so with the same people bringing us this game i knew it had to be good and i wasn't disappointed.Massive game and endless places to go to and explore.Some people have mentioned how they got bored or just tired of looking around however if you mix things up and do different things like search around for a while and then do a mission and search and do some side missions then it never gets boring i have found as you are always doing something new.Very enjoyable and a brilliant game overall.Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I was expecting!, 19 July 2010
Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not usually a fan of wild west games, purely because the wild west doesn't particularly interest me. I bought this game, partially on impulse and partially because of the good reviews.

I can thankfully say that this game is a LOT better than I expected, I got it on saturday morning and then spent almost the entire day playing it. It's one of those games where time really does get sucked into a black hole and before you know it, hours have passed!

I like to split my reviews into pros and cons so here goes:

Pros:

1. There is an unbelievable amount to do in this game, from free roaming , random side missions, requests for help, mini games, main missions and just generally causing havoc.
2. The mini games are not just useless fillers, they are actually quite good fun in their own right. I particularly enjoy horseshoe throwing and liar's dice.
3. The graphics are outstanding. The in game graphics are very good but where the graphics shine is when you look at the scenary in the distance. Especially when it rains, the sky and clouds look just like they do in real life, you could almost be watching a film rather than playing a game.
4. The dialogue is very well done. You can sometimes have to travel a long distance while on missions and you are usually travelling with another character. During these sequences, there is a lot of dialogue but again this does not seem like filler, it is entertaining and usually gives more detail as to the story.
5. The gameplay is brilliant, with lots of variety. You can be shooting bad guys in one mission, racing in the next and hearding cattle in the next.
6. The cover system is very well implemented and the variety of weapons means that you do need to choose carefully i.e. some weapons are slow but great for power and long range whereas other guns are quick but not as powerful so very good for dealing with multiple enemies at close range.
7. The deadeye system is great fun and the introduction of the lasso gives you the option of non-fatally shooting a bad guy then capturing him alive for a bigger reward.
8. The horse riding system is very well done, especially the addition of a system where you can keep pace with your companion simply by pressing and holding X

Cons:

1. The aiming system is a little inconsistent. In order to lock onto a bad guy, you need to press the aim button when pointing in his general direction, this may or may not lock onto him. In order to lock onto another bad guy, you have to release the button and press it again, which is slow and a bit cumbersome, especially when on horseback.
2. The horses are very hard to control, they always want to turn the wrong way and sometimes walk right off cliffs! They also run a mile away as soon as you get off them, meaning you have to whistle and then wait for them to run back to you. This is not only annoying but if you are in the middle of a gun fight it can get you killed!
3. It is difficult to control the horse at low speeds.
4. The missions along the general story path all seem a bit pointless until you get to certain ones like obtaining weapons etc. A lot of them are obvious excuses to meet new characters which then become useful later down the line. While necessary to further the story later on, at the time the missions feel a bit out of place.
5. While not necessarily a con depending on your point of view, the game is obviously based on grand theft auto 4, with the same controls, similar graphics/character design etc. That being said, it is a lot smoother than grand theft auto 4 and each of the obviously copies mechanics have been polished.

So, all in all, a very good game even if you don't particularly like westerns! If you liked grand theft auto and aren't adverse to riding horses rather than driving cars, give this one a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Genius Rockstar, 17 July 2010
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is probably the best game I have played, and will probably be and is a lot of people's best game.EVER!!.
I have completed the game once and I am on my second run, and it is even more fun.
I used to play the game 24/7, barely slept, and still haven't finished the whole game, it truly is a Legendary game, and it is the WILD WEST, not like it, Exactly IT.
Rockstar will blow your mind with this game, and with many more games that they launch, GTA 4 was good, but this game probably set the for free roam games, that many brilliant games don't even scratch this beautiful game.
The only problem is BUGS, but thats okay, they can be fixed with a few patches, so that shouldn't take anything from the score.

5.0 out of 5 stars good game, 7 July 2010
a very solid game. in a nutshell, gta4 in the wild west with extra awesome

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›

Red Dead Redemption (PS3)
Red Dead Redemption (PS3) by Take 2 Interactive (PlayStation 3)