Platform: PlayStation 3|Change

on 1 September 2009
I played the very first wolf 3D about 15 years ago, then Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was fantastic, so I was expecting a lot from his game....

When I played the first few levels I was a little dissapointed, as it is a bit confusing and everything is pretty much thrown at you straight away....however, once you get used to the free roaming of the town and the weapons upgrade system, the game really comes into its own after about 2-3 hours play....

In fact I would say this is the best FPS I've played so far on the PS3...I can't wait to get back on it tonight.....I'm about 50% through the story mode....

The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is I think Return to Castle Wolf was slightly better storyline, in that nothing paranormal happened for a while, so it kept you guessing, plus it had a brilliant stealth level half way through.....that said I haven't finished this game as yet, so perhaps some suprises are in store.

Summing up, I would say buy this game, but persevere through the first few hours - it gets a lot lot better....
on 21 September 2009
A very quick review here but having never played any of the previous Wolfenstein games I wasn't sure what to expect and well lets say that I was a little underwhelmed.

Gameplay - the weaponry was implemented very well with the option to upgrade them with silencers, apertures etc paired with controls which are really responsive and tight, this led to zero gameplay frustrations.

Storyline - No idea what this was about (my own fault what with not playing the previous games). Character interactions was practically none existent. Walk upto them, click to engage them, they waffle on for a moment regarding your next task & blah blah blah. Now I know this isn't an RPG but I think a little more depth to the plot and interactions would have really enhanced the experience.

Graphics - Good, crisp and always bright with areas well illuminated so rarely did I find myself wandering about in the dark.

Overall a plug in & play game rather than taking you on a journey and engrossing you in its detail and atmosphere.
on 21 October 2009
Anyone who has played Wolfenstein before will love this game, its a re-visited classic pc game I remember playing decades ago.

I've not played it online yet but the main game is good fun and features some new guns and tricks.

Maybe not for the very young as some of the gore is a bit too vivid and some of the monsters might frighten.
on 11 October 2009
Myself and my father like to progress through games on weekends in a cooperated effort and after just completing Call of Juarez, decided it was time for another game.

The cover of the game case was attractive and very eye catching. Anyway, I knew I wanted to play Wolfenstein in high definition so I bagged it.

In starting up the game, it installed a bit of the game to the PS3's hard drive and then we were greeted by a high definition, simple yet appealing menu.
The start of the single player story shows an impressive cinematic cut-scene and I knew things would be different from Wolfenstein 3D.

But you don't want to know about all this - you want to know about the gameplay - so be it.

A lot of reviews have criticised this game but I can't see why. This is a seriously good game and this is coming from somebody who loved games like COD4, COD World at War - all highly praised First Person Shooter games and in my opinion, this is up there with that bunch.

But theres a twist... You may be startled to find you have control of some sort of strange powers. When I first discovered this feature I assumed that the rest of the game would be stupid - but it just isn't. You'll very quickly get used to these new features and they'll become an effective part of the game. You may also feel that these new features are too Warcraft-ey for a sinister game like Wolfenstein but they take away none of the atmosphere that we all love.

A part of the game I particularly liked was the hospital chapter - Nazi experimentation on humans in grimy hospitals leaves your hair standing on end. Other parts of the game, escaping collapsing Nazi factories with explosions and fire all around make you dizzy with excitement.

The weapons are very good to use. You'll find some guns on Wolfenstein that appeared in COD World at War such as the MP40 and Kar98 (which by the way is a very good gun to use in Wolfenstein unlike in COD). Other guns such as the particle cannon are sensational to use.

The characters range from Nazi soldiers to deformed creatures to huge brawling monsters. The scenery is particularly eye catching and detailed. In high definition the graphics are definately impressive and add up to create a lot of the sinister atmosphere.

I've given this game five stars for the simple reason that it was an addictive game - mixed with the graphics, weaponry and enemies, not to mention the intriguing storyline.

I would certainly recommend this game to anybody who is a fan of FPS games and fondly remembers the 'old-school' Wolfenstein 3D games.

All we need now is a new Doom game and possibly a Duke Nukem game.

Rhys James
on 7 October 2009
.... this is the one. I only tend to play one game a year, previous candidates being Resistance Fall of Man, Orange Box, and the original Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Good trade off between good old "shoot 'em up" and puzzles. Game is not linear as you can choose the order of missions and weapon upgrades are purchased on the black market as and when you collect enough funds. You can't afford all the upgrades so choose wisely! Not yet finished but 73% through, 14 hours and counting.
on 30 May 2012
This game doesnt deserve such poor online reviews. Played this game on hard and it has the best enemy AI I have ever seen in a FPS. This is no turkey shoot even when you use the sniper rifle they will throw grenades or hide behind pillars making it hard too kill them. The graphics are ok but not up to COD standard. I you like hard games with great AI you will love this game.If you fancy other great games that have had bad reviews try Turok, Wofenstein and Shadows of the Damned. Games I like Resident Evil 4, Dead Space, Just Cause 2, Prototype, COD, Vanquish, Crysis PC, Far Cry PC, Half Life 2, Infamous, Saints Row 2, Uncharted. Games I think have poor playability Dead Island, Binary Domain, Resistance, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Goldeneye Reloaded.
on 24 August 2010
When I first started this game I had just finished Modern Warfare 2 and Killzone 2 (both amazing!)

I was expecting something similar and was disappointed for the first few hours of game play, however it soon picks up and by the third mission I was addicted.

Some levels like the hospital are not for the young due to very graphic gore and scary atmosphere/monsters, but for teenagers and above the shooting is great, the powers are fun and the enemies are just challenging enough to stop it being boring.

Overall verdict: YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS GAME!
on 3 September 2009
I really enjoyed playing this game. As a fan of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I was eager to get my hands on this. There are many of the familiar features of the Wolfenstein series and I liked the sandbox game feel to this one.

One thing I will say is that the first 8 levels are pretty easy (on Medium setting) but the last 5 are pretty hard going. I comlpleted this in a week and found it was the sort of shooter I enjoy the most (fun to play and not sprawling).

The reason I have only given the game 4 stars is simply because it didn't have enough edgy scares, as were present in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and this felt like a Call of Duty game with a bit of spell work thrown in. Apart from that I would highly recommend it to anyone who is after a fun shoot-em-up.
on 5 August 2012
I will review this game in the form of a limerick:

There once was a game called wolfenstein
Which some critics had given it a 9
I played it for a day
Then threw it away
Because playing it was a waste of my time

Seriously though the game wasn't what I personally wanted in a wolfenstein Reimagining. The game is a prequel to return to castle wolfenstein, you play as B.J. Blazkowicz an Allied agent who discovered an Artifact which uses a mysterious energy and you must stop the nazis from harnessing the power of the artefacts and using it to create weapons.
Gamers who have played a lot of FPSs on ps3 or the Xbox360 will feel comfortable playing this game as it uses modern day shooter mechanics like upgrading weapons and recharging Health and that's my main problem with it, wolfenstein back in the day set trends for FPS games but now seems to be following them.
If you like modern FPS games and don't mind crazy storylines then I'm sure you will enjoy this game but for people going in to see if this is a "true" wolfensteing game may be less likely to enjoy this.
Overall: 6.5
on 23 August 2009
Being a fan of the classic Wolfenstein games, i couldnt wait to get this game, however, i'm not really sure what to make of it. The first impression of it is it a classic WWII FPS, however once the game develops its kinda more of a free-roam aspect to it. Its a good idea, however, you seem to find yourself watching the 'loading' screen alot of the time. The mission are a lot of fun and very tense, but a part of me feels that they have ruined it slightly with some of the supernatural foe you must battle.
Of the little online time i have played, i'm not too impressed. The levels are good, but theres not much option of games to play, or weapons to use. I wouldn't put it in the same league as games such as killzone 2, But as i said, i've only had little online game time.