Published on 23 July 2009 by James Peters

2.0 out of 5 stars The Dull End Of The Low
As a huge Marilyn Manson fan, I was thrilled when he decided to come back to music - having had a solidly excellent back catalogue (I also loved Golden Age... which I know was lost on a lot of people), the only thing Manson could produce was going to be excellence. Imagine my disappointment when Eat Me, Drink Me limped out of the CD player at me.

Manson whas a...
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by P. Limmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are unsure whether to buy this album READ THIS REVIEW!!, 23 July 2009
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
I have owned this album since the release date and have been a long term fan of Marilyn Manson. I am rarely compelled to write reviews on albums however having listened to this album many many times since owning I suddenly realised today that "good God this album is good!! I must tell people!!". The main reason for my surprise was that while I loved Antichrist, Mechanical Animals & Holywood, the last two albums were quite simply awful and I bought this more out of hope then any real sense of expectation. The main reason it has taken me so long to realise how good this album is is largely based on the lack of imagery associated with this collection of songs. It is by and large the first Marilyn Manson album that has lacked a proper identity since 'Portrait' and it is this reason alone (and the frankly dire 'we're from America') That has stopped me rating this 5 stars. Not wishing to risk hyperbole this sounds like a straight up amalgamation of his three best albums with more of a lean to Antichrist then anything (although don't get too excited - Antichrist it ain't!!). There's not many really truly rocking songs, instead largely slower more introverted tracks but what is most important is subject matter, with a huge swing bang to songs about Guns, Gods & Governments!!! There's some songs about love and relationships but it's not done in such an embarrassing way like on the last album and you never feel like the band are trying too hard for subject matter like on 'Golden Age'. I won't go into a breakdown of each individual song but I promise you this album is great if you give it a chance and listen with an open mind. I urge anybody who liked the trilogy to buy this album if they want their faith in the music of this band restored (and not their live act - last good on the Holywood tour - never will be good again!!!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Marilyn Manson - The High End Of Low, 26 April 2012
Gentlegiantprog "Kingcrimsonprog" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
The High End Of Low was the seventh full-length studio album by Marilyn Manson. It was released in 2009 and saw Twiggy Ramirez rejoin the band after a two-album absence.

The album was met with mixed reviews, some happy that Ramirez was back and the music was more upbeat than on the previous record and some negative about that the music and lyrics not being up to standard.

In my own opinion The High End Of Low is actually an enjoyable album and there are some great moments on it. It is however let down by a few problems, and also in comparison to some of his other albums. The main problems are track sequencing, album duration, stylistic inconstancy and some of the same lyrical misfiring that has been present on every album after Holywood.

For the most part, the album feels a little confused and overlong. For one; the track order seems a little too scattered, as though the songs were hastily rearranged out of the correct order at the last minute and consequently several tracks don't seem really to fit well between the songs the follow or precede.

Secondly, the album is 72 minutes long and the copious material within is in a wealth of different styles to the point where it almost feels as if it is trying too much at once. Variety is usually a good thing and it is often nice to have an album that doesn't end too early, but The High End Of Low unfortunately doesn't get the balance just right.

For example, there are a few up tempo heavy tracks in `Pretty As A Swastika' `We're From America' and `Blank And White' which sit alongside dark pop like `Devour' and `Unkillable Monster' as well as ballads like `Four Rusted Horses' `Into The Fire' and `15' and even a trippy hypnotic number called `I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies' that lasts for nine minutes and feels like an album closer but bizarrely sits at the halfway point.

After a hypnotic nine-minute album closer the rest of the album seems a little bit like a drag, especially when thereafter tracks are generally slower and less dynamic. This makes the album difficult to digest and it almost feels as if you need to take it in across two separate sittings each time.

Despite these problems, there are quite a few highlights and there is a lot to enjoy on the album. Some of the tracks are very enjoyable, it grows on you with repeat listens and despite taking it too far, the variety on offer does give the album a much less one-dimensional feel than the two albums which preceded it. Should you wish to only listen to the best moments or to take it in across two sittings then you will find enough moments to enjoy without risking being overwhelmed in an avalanche of conflicting ideas.

In summary, The High End Of Low is a flawed album but ultimately it is still a decent album despite these flaws. It may seem a little lacking on first listen, but closer inspection will reveal hidden quality. While it isn't up to the extremely high standards of the band at their absolute peak, it is still of a high enough standard to be worth a listen for both die-hards who like everything Manson does and casual fans who don't just care about the three best albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars The High End Of Low, 5 Jun 2009
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
The High End of Low is mansons best album since the golden age of grotesque. eat me drink me was an album manson had to make to get his feelings out and yes it was the correct way to do it but it was not the greatest album manson had ever done in his career.

The high end of low starts off with devour which starts of like a manson album should slow and then kicks in to action in true manson and ramirez style. The album is full of this and many tracks are absolutely brilliant.

The return of Twiggy Ramirez to the band makes this album even better as manson and ramirez together are an unstopable force which makes this album so powerfull and magnificent.

recomended to anyone who likes any of mansons work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm let's see...I love MM but, 4 Aug 2009
Melloney "EriduSerpent~" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
Ok well this is 100% better than Eat Me, Drink Me.
But it is still along those same lines. I like the fact that MM sounds raw and more personal, BUT some of the lyrics make him sound sooooo stupid.
On one hand he is saying "Noooooooooooo one can love me, I am sooooooo strange and misunderstood", on the other hand he is saying, "Girl if yah don't like what you see sod off!"
He's lonely and he is sadly getting older, something I don't think he can cope with.
Anyway back to the music, Newer fans will lurve this cd, older fans will say, Ok it's passable but no way near as good as his past work (cept Eat Me).
The stand alone guitar tracks are different but good.
The lyrics are a tad rushed, not what you'd expect, not clever enough for MM. Some of the lyrics are catchy enough to stay in your head (I got moaned at for singing "Everyone will come to my funeral, blah blah etc etc and Armafuffinggeddon lyrics by my daughter).
His anger seems to have gone into self-loathing and hurt.
I think he needs a holiday, some therapy and a damned good woman in his life!
Then when he gets over the "I am so sad and people are so mean to me" stage in his life, he can go back to kicking rock arse again.
Worth the money but if you are a new collector, get Mechanical Animals, wayyyyyyyyyy better.
Ooowh did I mention I think MM is a very ugly but a very sexy, intelligent guy...
I'd do him!

4.0 out of 5 stars mostly good, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
Like many people I was disappointed with Eat Me, Drink Me - didn't hate it, just got bored really quickly, so when I ordered this I was prepared to be disappointed again. I've listened to it several times now and I really like it. It's not his best album and but it's got some good tracks. My favourite is definitely "I Want to Kill You Like They do in the Movies" which i think has a slightly trippy feel which I love. This is not a particularly heavy album and I feel the last few tracks are a bit boring but overall a good album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Jeordie, 25 Oct 2009
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
Having owned all Mansons' previous albums and feeling underwhelmed by GAOG and bitterly dissappoined with Eat me Drink Me (Heart shaped sunglasses made me violently ill), it has come as a Huge relief that High end of low is more than a return to form. The reason for this renaissance, none other than the return of Jeordie White. He was and is the real talent behind Manson, a triple A class musician who can turn his considerable talent easily to other musical genres, (check out Goon Moon). I don't consider myself a Metal Head but someone who appreciates high quality music and as such this album has it in spades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Manson has still got it, 30 July 2009
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
After much deliberation, having read various reviews about how MM has lost it and should retire, i purchased the album and must say i was not disapointed. There is a variety of slow and fast paced tracks, yes it is no 'mechanical animals' but is better than his last album, and will fit in nicely if you are a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
Great CD, loved it straight away. Yes it is a change in direction, but is equally as good. It is a bit slower and has a more Gothic feel. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Find it cheap. Turn it up loud., 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
One of the forgotten MM albums - much like a few of Alice Coopers before his revival. Despite some obvious "singles" its actually the more melancholic and atmospheric tracks that really make this album killer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four and a half stars, 29 May 2009
James Moffatt (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High End Of Low (Audio CD)
This is not his best in my opnionion, that will always be Holywood. But High End of Low does sound like a Marilyn Manson album... but do not expect a heavy, Antichrist album. This is by far Manson's slowest work and it will not be to all Manson fans tastes.

When listening to this through I am reminded of Mechanical Animals and Portrait, it is difinitely a Manson album, which Eat me Drink me did not feel like (an album that I like in its own right but not what you'd expect from Manson).

I do advise try before you buy approach but I am already really liking this album on my first listen, especially 15 coz it sounds kinda Perfect Circle like (people will probably disagree with me there). The album also welcomes back electronic industrial sounds that were lost on Golden Age and as a result it is quite refreshing.

It makes me happy that not every fan loves all his albums because at least the man tries new things! Which is rare with some bands that just release the same album but with a few changes.

For the next album I would like Manson to move on though, for the weakest part of his last albums have been the lyrics because he has become too caught up in himself. But he has stated within interviews that The High End of Low in the conclusion to this dodgy part of his life, the album that helped him move on. So hopefully on the next album he will deal with bigger pictures in his lyrics like he did on Antichrist, Mechanical and Holywood.

In short, not his best but I will be listening to it for a very very long time and loving it. THIS IS NOT A HEAVY ALBUM! (I disagree with another reviewer saying Kill you like they do in the Movies is the best track, I think it is easily the worst and drags, just shows that all reviews, even btwo with five stars differ :D)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

High End Of Low
High End Of Low by Marilyn Manson (Audio CD - 2009)