on 3 July 2013
... of the Jack-Daniels-Series J.A. Konrath.

>>Book Description:
This is a first for Konrath because it is a real technothriller about a group of ten people who each have tattoos of numbers on the bottoms their feet, and don't know why.
One of them, a Chicago Homicide cop named Tom Mankowski, has had one of these strange tattoos since birth. When he investigates a violent murder and discovers the victim also has a tattooed number, it sets the ball rolling for an adventure of historic proportions.
Because there are the absolute positive and the horrid negative included in this deminishing crowd!
To say more would really give away too much...<<

But I only can tell You, to see those 10 persons fight (and an army of helping hands, heads and feet on both sides...) - and there is a black-belt woman deeply involved - is sheer, pure fun for the fans of thriller mixed with horror mixed with the typical blackest humour the author is able to release...

I had a very interesting evening with this ebook - torn from sheer horror to "give-him-a-right-one into the ..." moments.
Really recommendable for fans of Jack Daniels, Luther Kite (both not present) and I want to know: Mr Konrath - when does the show go on???
on 4 March 2011
I've been reading Konrath's blog for a few weeks now and decided to take the plunge on one of his books when he lowered the price of The List to see if it made more profit on volume versus price.

The List is basically gibberish all the way through but rattles along at such a frenetic pace and is such mindless fun you're quickly swept up in it and time just flies by.

The previous reviewer is right in pointing out the inconsistancies such as the characters jumping onto a plane while being on the FBI most wanted list. People turning up just in the nick of time to rescue each other is perhaps overplayed a little too.

That said, the central story idea is good, the characters are believable enough within the confines of the story (Abe is a hoot) and somehow it all just works.

The Kindle formatting is spot on and while there are a few typos they're not frequent enough or glaring eenough to pull you out of the story.

The author's afterward mentions this is one of his earliest written books (albeit 'tinkered' with over the years). If he's writing such fun novels early on I'll definatly be seeing what his later books are like.
on 13 July 2014
I've never yet found a Konrath / Kilborn story I haven't enjoyed. Some are good, some are better, but you never get a bad one. This one concerns a bunch of people (unknown to each other) who have been the unwitting subjects of medical research. The financial sponsor of this research later decides maybe it's not a good idea to have these subjects around. The story is written with Konrath's usual dry humour and easy writing style. Detailed descriptions of DNA and genetics (well, detailed so far as my knowledge of the subject) bring a touch of realism to a story which might be (maybe still is?) too tongue-in-cheek. Free when I got it (lucky me) but still worth current £2.44. I still can't understand how "List", "Origin", and "Disturb" were all rejected by publishers. Either Konrath's self-confessed updates made a huge difference or publishers want their bumps felt. All 3 stories are better than Crichton or equivalent.
on 16 January 2014
Fantastically written, as one comes to expect with Konrath/Kilborn's novels, and this one has a very different feel, much more 'technothriller' than the 'horror-thriller' books of his I've also read (Afraid & Trapped)... I think this is my favourite of his books I've read so far but I have plenty more still to read so who knows.... The other 'technothriller' of Konrath's I've read is Origin and I much preferred this one (The List). As usual, likeable and well-developed characters and while the plot gets a bit ridiculous in parts, as far as being believable goes, if you let yourself be swept through with the fantastical ideas, it really is an incredible notion and superbly put together. To say more would spoil for people not yet read this great book. I also LOVED the humour in this story, very funny in parts and I think Bert is my favourite character because of this (his slug bug game was hilarious). Highly recommend.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 June 2013
This is the first book I've read by this author and it's not my usual read, I like romance and paranormal romance, yes I can hear you all groaning. I've given my old kindle to my dad and while putting books on it for him a couple stood out this being one of them so I thought I'd give it a go and I loved it, yes it was silly in places unbelievablely far fetched in others but I thought it was great and it would make a great movie, I read it back in January but after years of reading other people's reviews I'm making an effort to actually write my own, the purpose of this one is to say that even if this is not the type of book you generally read its worth a shot, I'm glad I did and it's free.
on 19 February 2014
The story revolves around a group of people with a number tattooed on one foot. One of them is, a Chicago Homicide cop named Tom Mankowski, the main protagonist. It opens with the discovery of a headless body… gruesome indeed but hold on folks, this is just the start….

Of course we find Tom as lead investigator. Looking into the circumstances he discovers that the corpse has a number seven tattooed on his left heel, strange enough Tom has seen this before on his own heel, his is number five. This revelation opens the door to a great puzzle putting Tom in middle of it…..and the fun continues….

This is not your typical thriller although it has lots of violence, some intrigue and a puzzle to solve. What set it apart from the others I have read through the years is the tad of horror and supernatural we find here. I found the plot to be interesting at first but as it moved along it became quite outlandish, completely unrealistic and constantly jumping from one place to the other. The dialogue and writing style is quite crude with a great chunk of jargon and some clumsy humour. The premise may be brilliant but it sizzled out quite fast, it seemed the author wanted to make an action type comedy but I failed to see anything funny, one thing though, we do have endless action. I have mixed feeling about this story, partly captivated and taken in with the action but rather disappointed with the silly characterization. Not my preferred story but not to say it was a bad one, it was not meant for me. My first experience reading this author may not have been the best I will nevertheless take a second look with the Jack Daniels series.
on 30 June 2013
A man is found dead and he has a number tattooed on the sole of his foot. The investigating officer also has a similar tattoo, but a different number. They are on the list, but what is this list of?

This is the first Konrath book I have read and I was impressed. This is a tight thriller, with plenty of chase action and "will they get there in time" scenes. The reason for the tattoos is a bit far out there, but is in interesting idea.

I found this to be an actin packed story, with very little down-time. Very enjoyable indeed.
on 26 October 2013
One of the more ridiculous books Ive ever read. After an intriguing start, the revelation of why the characters have their tattoos is odd, before descending into farce.

BUT, having said that, the book was very enjoyable to read, romped along very nicely, and if you are the sort of person who is happy to suspend disbelief and just enjoy, then you will probably enjoy this book a good deal.

For me, though, just too daft!
on 2 May 2012
Despite the size of his reputation, this is the first Konrath book I have read. But, from all the publicity he has garnered around the self-publishing arena, and all the books he has sold, he has to be good, right?

Thrillers, I like. However, the book description says that The List "is a bit of a departure for Konrath". By which I infer that thrillers are not his stock-in-trade.

The story revolves around a group of people with a number tattooed on one foot. They don't know why, or that it means, just that it has always been there. One of our heroes, a police detective, discovers a murder victim with a number tattoo just like his. With his partner they try to work out what is going on, much to the displeasure of the bad guys. Their journey takes us around the US, creating an eclectic posse as we go.

The bad guys are ... well ... historically bad, in a good way.

The writing is superb, I love his style, and at times you will laugh at loud. At other times you will stop breathing because of your concern for the characters.

Highly recommended.
on 27 April 2011
The premise takes a swallow to get past, but once done, the execution is superb. A thrilling and frightening read ensues. I particularly enjoyed the role of one of America's former Presidents. Not the actions one might expect from a Commander-in-Chief. Enjoy. Good fun.