Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Listen in Prime Learn more

on 6 December 2010
I was initially pretty wary of this book: the sub-title, `conquer your fear and take life to the next level' had me wondering if I'd wandered into snake-oil territory. But actually, I hadn't. Hendricks promises much and delivers it very simply. So I recommend keeping an open mind (unlike mine when I started reading!), as what he says draws from many well-tested psychological approaches. He has just filleted out the jargon, and added a little of his own, that's all.

Hendricks's view is that all of us can make big leaps once we take two steps: identify when we're in our `Zone of Genius' and recognise, then overcome, our unconscious ability to get in our own way. Self-sabotage keeps us in our comfort zone - we can't rise too high, nor can we fail or displease others. We feel secure. He calls this placing `upper limits' on ourselves, or `upper-limiting'. Here's where Hendricks is very practical: he identifies typical obstacles, such as worry, squabbling, getting sick and more. Then he goes on to provide no-nonsense self-coaching questions and techniques for us to test the worry, squabbling or whatever, to determine if it is indeed something to worry about (and if so, how to handle it) or if it is a form of upper-limit self-sabotage. (and how to handle that).

The `Zone of Genius' refers to the sweet spot we all have when time passes easily, we are joyfully absorbed, doing what we're best at. We all have this zone, but often spend most of our time, energy and attention on the other three zones: excellence, competence, and incompetence. There are simple yet powerful coaching questions to identify your Zone of Genius.

Is this book for everyone? Possibly not. The tired and cynical will struggle with the occasional hype. I've found the book really helpful in identifying when I stop myself and noticing how I do that. So I recommend it if you want to identify your own barriers and obstacles, and clear the way to be more fulfilled.
VINE VOICEon 6 July 2010
Dr Hendricks poses an interesting hypothesis... The idea that we have a built-in "thermostat" on our happiness, and that when it reaches a certain level, we will purposefully sabotage ourselves (not necessarily in the same area we have success, mind you. Financial success could 'trip' problems in romance, for example). It's a rather bold statement to say the least, and one that seems impossible until you start noticing it after reading.

Though unusual - it makes a lot of sense and is explained superbly throughout the book. We're given numerous examples highlighting the problem (and how it manifests), and I feel that a lot of people should be able to relate to some of the subtle (yet deadly) limiting beliefs that hold them back. Whilst I might get in trouble for listing all of them: One that particularly stuck out was the belief that "I don't deserve [x] / There is something wrong with me". I have heard this a shocking number of times in people I've spoken to. As much as many of us can 'want' something... if we feel that we're flawed (and thus cannot achieve it) or do not deserve such things - then we have already lost the battle. The book's a really nice wake-up call. It helps open the senses and periphery to such 'comments' or 'notions' popping up and making a nuisance of themselves.

However, as mentioned in another review: The book doesn't quite explain the "cure" very well. I was lucky that I had read Tolle's "A New Earth" just before this, as it helped to fill in the blanks that Dr Hendricks left. I get the impression that a few ideas have been borrowed from Tolle (the unusual, unexplained references to the 'ego' was a hint. We're given little explanation yet this appears from time-to-time with no warning), which is fair enough (hey, we all have to learn from someone), but a few vital explanations were left out in the process - which weakened the explanation on how to remove the barriers slightly.

The chapter on "Einstein Time" really grated, however. Pages and pages (21 at least) appear devoted to the lead-up of the actual explanation (which was a few paragraphs), and read like an 80's commercial. "Hey friend, don't you just hate it when your time moves really slowly, or that you never have enough of it? Well with new EINSTEIN TIME, we can eradicate this problem! Create time from your fingertips and never be hassled by the limitations of time again! Yes, we promise you that time will never be an issue and that you can enjoy the bliss of creating the time you need. Order yours today! Batteries not included"... yes, it did start to get like that after the first few pages of it... if you don't scream "Get on with it", you are a more patient man than I.

Other than that - I really enjoyed the book. For such an unusual idea, the explanation and theory is sound, and the 'signs' of the Upper-Limits coming into play are superbly explained and outlined in a way that makes them easy to remember. As an added note: his comments on the nature of arguments is fantastic. However, as much as I hate shameless plugs (I mentally fire daggers at those who do), I feel that Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth" is needed to really get the most out of this book

In terms of whether this book's right for you: Anyone who feels that they're not quite living up to their potential or are feeling somewhat "dead inside" from a lifeless job/relationship should benefit heavily from this

Peace
on 29 December 2009
This is a book about the so-called Upper Limit Problem. It is one possible explanation to people's irrational self-sabotaging behaviour. As we all know, people often do things that are actually harmful to them, even though they know they shouldn't be doing those things, and they can't explain why they acted that way. Mr. Hendricks offers one possible explanation to that. Your subconscious has an idea as to how much happiness you "deserve". If you achieve big improvements in some aspects of your life, your subconscious notices that you are approaching your overall happiness limit, so it tries to compensate by creating unhappiness in some other area of your life.

Mr. Hendricks's theory makes a lot of sense. In fact, it seems true. Too bad he doesn't tell you what to do about it. He's not even offering anything for that purpose on his website. Lacking anything better, I have been trying to push my upper limit higher with affirmations. I can't tell yet if it's working.

One beneficial side effect of this book is that it explained what meditation is all about. For many years, I've been reading about how I'm supposed to meditate in such a way that I've grown allergic to the very word. Thanks to Mr. Hendricks, I understand for the first time in my life what "meditation" actually means.

But that's a minor point. The most important thing about this book is that it adds one crucial piece of knowledge into our awareness of why we act the way we act.
on 2 May 2014
Profound insights into how we sabotage our own success and let our perception of time rule us. It took me a while to overcome my own upper limit problem to let the book's messages begin to sink in. I have already gone back to it twice and get more from it each time. It has a lot of underlying principals I use in my own work with clients as a psychologist. I love the concept of 'Einstein Time' and am already reaping the benefits of acknowledging myself as the source of my time. A generous and inspiring book.
on 11 July 2009
I enjoyed this read as it was easy and learned about leaping from the zone of Competence and Excellence to the Genius Zone where all the possibilities arise and work feels like play, where time expands so that one can be fully expressed in all aspects of life.
This book reminded me of the experiences I've had while attending Ariel and Shya's workshops in New York City and by reading their amazing books Working on Yourself Doesn't Work: The 3 Simple Ideas That Will Instantaneously Transform Your Life and How to Create a Magical Relationship: The 3 Simple Ideas that Will Instantaneously Transform Your Love Life which have been catalysts to my feeling satisfied no matter the circumstances and have supported me in living in the moment effortlessly.
on 30 November 2010
This book is easy to read and understand and absolutely amazing. It helps you to pinpoint exactly how you are holding yourself back and/or sabotaging yourself from manifesting lasting success, happiness and abundance. It explains clearly what you have been doing in an easy and often humorous way. Warmly written by a man who has been generous enough to share his techniques as well as his personal journey, I cannot recommend it highly enough. This book changes lives.

I have read a lot of these types of books but this one reveals very quickly things you may not be aware of. I have recommended it to all of my clients and students.
on 5 March 2015
This book has changed my life. My boss, who is very successful and not a flakey self help book stereo type, told me to read it and I haven't looked back. I bought a copy for my mum, dad and husband for Christmas. At first the anicdotes are a bit off putting, but actually by the end they have helped paint a picture that is very clear and they seem relevant. Buy this book if you want to be happy and have your life flow better. I am, 4 months after reading it, already more successful than ever before in my life financially and emotionally... Coincidence? ... I don't think it is.
on 2 November 2013
This is the best self help book I have ever read. Beautifully written, concise, practical and engaging. Reading the ideas and processes enabled me to make sense of myself and reasons why I do things. I see myself and the world in a completely new way and really do feel enlightened after reading this book. It has transformed me and my life and I can't recommend it highly enough, especially if you are starting a business or becoming successful in your career. This book will help you to soar to heights of success you never thought possible before.
on 31 July 2015
I was cross referenced to this book from another I was reading. It proved far better than my original choice in many respects. I felt much of it related to perhaps being in business as opposed to just dealing with personal life but there was a lot to be gained from reading from cover to cover. In fact I am about to go back to the beginning and start again to reinforce some of the points, especially about time.
on 17 March 2014
I love it! It really made me see myself in a clearer light, and gave me some answers to questions I have for years. It took me to the next level of understanding myself, and I would recommend it anytime. I know that some claim it has no direct tools, but I do not aggree - my guess is that if you cannot see the answer, then you are not yet up to speed with it :o)