5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Solution
I am most certainly not using this product to its full potential, but it made me happy in no time flat.

My motherboard has a built-in "soundcard", as is the norm. After a few years crackles set in, possibly after a BIOS upgrade that was focused on USB performance. So, why not get a USB "soundcard"?

With only a 2.1 system I am not chasing moonbeams,...
Published on 4 Aug 2012 by Michelle Henderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to set up.
Published on 27 Aug 2011 by Alan J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to set up., 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
I bought this product to connect an Acer Revo 100RL computer (Windows 7 64 bit) to Logitech X530 speakers. This was the only way I could find to play DVDs in Dolby 5.1 surround sound, since the computer (like most laptops I think), does not have the sockets for the three speaker jack plugs. The expensive option would seem to have been buying either a decoder, a receiver or digital speakers.

There are several similar sound cards available - Startech, Siig, Trust and Digiflex. I looked at the reviews for all of them and opted for this as a middle price product from a reasonable company. I'd recommend looking at the reviews for the External Sound Card USB 6 Channel 5.1 Audio by Digiflex, which I found useful when trying to set this card up. The forementioned cards all seem to be based on the CMedia CM6206 chip, and apart from the makers label, some look identical.

There was no manual or instructions provided with my card, however I downloaded this from the Sweex website. It wasn't particularly informative, however I plugged the USB in, connected the speakers and loaded the software from the provided CD. That's when the problems seemed to start.

I see that the previous reviewer was pleased with the stereo output from the card, and I'd agree. It produced good stereo, but only from the front speakers, nothing from the others. I then spent hours trying to get the promised Dolby 5.1 surround sound. Tried all the tips in the reviews, researched on internet etc. Finally managed to get all six speakers working and testing properly in Audio Playback, and with sound from all when playing DVD. But it wasn't the elusive Dolby surround sound, at which point I began to wonder if all the reviewers who had succeeded so easily to get 5.1 surround sound meant just that - stereo sound reproduced on six speakers. CMedia say, however, that the CM6206 chip supports Dolby sound. I emailed Sweex for advice and they kindly told me the card wasn't a receiver which I knew and was of absolutely no help. As a last resort I downloaded the CM6206 driver(Xear 3D V7-12-8-2142) from a free driver site, opened the file, double clicked on the Windows 7 folder and downloaded the software and driver. Tried the DVD sound but still no Dolby. Checked driver update (using option of search computer and internet) in Device Manager\Sounds\USB Audio Device, but informed driver is up to date. I had noticed that Windows was downloading a driver while the folder download was in progress, which I had thought was odd, but with my lack of computer knowledge thought must be right. However tried driver update again, but this time in computer only. Another driver was found and downloaded. Did sound check again, played around with speaker input/outputs on the sound panel, and finally got Dolby 5.1 surround sound.I don't know enough to try to explain this, but it seemed to work.
Two final points.
I see that most people set the sound card to 2 channel input and 6 channel output. I found that this would give sound to all speakers, but for the Dolby sound the input had to be set to 8 speakers and the output to six speakers. Again I don't understand nor can explain this. The whole process has seemed to rely less on logic and more on "suck it and see".
For some reason at one point I had to swap the rear and the centre/sub woofer speaker plugs on the card to get correct sound - then at a later date swap them back when sound failed. Again no logical reason for this. There is an icon on the sound panel which opens a page allowing this, but it didn't seem to work for me.

I don't know whether my difficulties stemmed from an intermittently faulty card, my admittedly limited knowledge, or inadequate software, but it has been problematic to get this thing operating as it should. At the moment it seems to be working, but with fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Solution, 4 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)

With only a 2.1 system I am not chasing moonbeams, but this device works well for me straight out of the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, 26 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
I bought this to free up the headphone socket on my mac even though not strictly compatible, however so far brilliant.
It worked out of the box, unlike others i'm using only 2 channel for my speaker system, my only gripe is that it's sample rate is only 16 bit where as on board my mac i'm able to set up to 32, but the good news is that the volume is much louder and weighty.
The cd supplied however is of no use to me due to the fact it's windows only, Sweex should consider mac users for firmware updates and configuration.

3.0 out of 5 stars s'ok, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
It works but the software still seems unable to get 51 sound through it the rear left and right speakers have no output during playback but are fine via 2.1

4.0 out of 5 stars A good alternative soundcard, 31 Oct 2013
M. E. Doney "Lordy" (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
Well sadly my internal soundcard finally packed in and I could not afford a new motherboard so had to look for alternatives and found this. It came within a few days and after setting it up on Windows 7 (It did take a while) I got it to work and yes no complaints so far. Decent sound from a pretty small package.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's better!, 17 Aug 2013
Ian Johnson (Wells) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
I recently bought a cheap USB sound card to use instead of the SoundBlaster I had been using, but was disappointed with the quality (and one of the channels wasn't working anyway). As they say, "buy cheap, buy twice". So I wasn't expecting too much from this one, even though it cost more than twice the other one. I needn't have worried, the sound quality of the Sweex is easily comparable to the SoundBlaster, all the channels work and it's even got a separate headphone output so I don't have to use a splitter any more!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money., 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
Having ordered this sound card through Amazon, I was anxious as to whether it would work with my Windows 7 32bit software because the product description did not say so. Using Media Player, my desktop's inbuilt sound card had failed, and I knew it was fine with my previous Windows XP. I sent a message to Gasteiner Technologies Ltd. (the seller}, but while awaiting an answer,I decided to try it out. I need not have worried. It worked first time on the plug and play basis. I ran the installation disc anyway but it looked as if Windows 7 had already accepted it. External twin speakers worked fine from the 2.1 jack socket. Trying the headphones from the proper socket,I only got sound on one side; having reconnected in the 2.1 socket I found that both left and right headphones worked well. A quick adjustment of volume brought sweet music to my ears. For the price, I consider it good value, also it arrived with 48 hours of having placed the order, which is well up to Amazon standards. Verdict: highly satisfactory thank you.
The above comments were published 23Aug but on 03Sep I add a comment: You need to be gentle when fitting jack plugs; ram the plug in and it won't work. Having used this card for over a week now, it's perfectly adequate for private listening with headphones, and works brilliantly with my speakers. In my small room that's all I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well designed product, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
It works well with windowsXP and Windows7 and audio 2.1. It Is a compact unit with a useful indicator of operation status

5.0 out of 5 stars Works out of the box, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
I took it out of the box and plugged it into my notebook computer. Within about a minute, all my nagging sound card problems were at an end. I suppose I'd have got better, had I spent a great deal more. But you can't complain when you've got something this good for 20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking!, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Sweex 7.1 External USB Sound Card (Personal Computers)
I just received this today to replace my onboard sound card which has begun to give up the ghost. So far so good. It works right out the box after a quick install of the driver CD and computer restart.

The sound is exactly the same as my onboard as far as I can tell, minus the crackling. It works fine with my microphone/speakers and the usb cable that its supplied with is long enough for me to keep it out of the way. It says there are potential issues with USB2.0 bandwidth but this seems like fiction as I have an external hard drive hooked up to my usb and I have no problems.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with this product its ideal. Now I'm gonna go try hooking up more speakers and see how this 5.1 works out...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›