4.0 out of 5 stars Footpod for Garmin Forerunner 405CX

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically Excellent - Commercially Terrible
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Graham Mccarthy

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically Excellent - Commercially Terrible, 30 Dec 2010
Graham Mccarthy "gmccarthy15" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod for Garmin Forerunner Sports Watch (Electronics)
I use the Garmin foot pod with my Garmin Forerunner 410, it provided valuable addition data such as my running cadence (the number of steps per minute) and provides distance and speed information when there is no GPS signal available, namely when in the gym or on a treadmill. It works reliably and appears to be really surprisingly accurate. It also synchronises with the Forerunner 410 reliably and in seconds.

The foot pod is small, in fact the same size as a Nike Plus device and will fit in a Nike plus holder in your training shoe. It comes mounted on a quick release harness that fastens to the running shoe by the laces. This seems secure enough although I confess I use a Velcro Shoe Pouch when outside, the quick release harness hasn't yet earned my trust.

So why only three stars? Well, when describing the cost of the Garmin foot pod I toyed with the words `amazing' and `eye-watering' but these didn't really cut it and I was finally forced to resort to `astonishing'. The Nike+ Sport Kit retails for around 20 and is essentially the same technology and that would seem to be a reasonable price for this unit, even 30 may be reasonable. You would need to be really serious about running to invest in this foot pod at this price.

So to sum up, technically the foot pod is excellent, reliable and accurate, commercially - what were they thinking? At 40 I'd award it four stars; at 30 I'd give it five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Footpod for Garmin Forerunner 405CX, 2 Sep 2010
Does exactly what it says on the tin and paired up within a minute with my Garmin Forerunner 405CX. My running is heavily motivated by gadgets and if you run on a treadmill as well as running outside then you will need this little device if, like me, you want to record all your runs. For ease of use and working well I would give 5 stars but it is a tad expensive for what it is (I previously ran with a Nike+) so it loses a star due to cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome piece of kit, 10 Dec 2010
This was the SDM4 model which supports the cadence feature and precisely what I was after in terms of add-ons for my 310xt setup. I wanted it so I can record all my indoor treadmill sessions as well as force my cadence up.

Pros:
Can clip to laces or squeeze in arch area of shoe
Tiny (about size of 10p but slightly thicker)
99% accurate speed once calibrated against GPS (so can use on treadmill)

Cons:
So small and light if you havent connected it to your shoes correctly then
Might not be overly waterproof (used wetsuit latex glue to seal battery cap better)
Expensive-probably OK at 40 but 70 is way overpriced. I paid a lot less as it was a clearance item so very happy
Clip very small compared with polar footpod so wouldnt notice if it fell off when running-just put it inside shoe instead.

Despite the drawbacks, if you see it for under 40 I would recommend it if your a data freak like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Also compatible with the Garmin 410, 8 Aug 2013
I rate this product very highly for its unobtrusive design. It is extremely lightweight and simple to fit by threading your laces between the two separable parts of the footpad. My previous Heart Rate Monitor had a huge footpod (more than a golf ball's weight) so this is a massive improvement. Communication with the main unit is consistently good and fast to be established.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER Gaget, 24 Jun 2013
P. Clarke (uk) - See all my reviews
wanted this to make my runs complete- ie how many steps i run per min- along with my h/r and this - it does what it says - well sent and no issues with linking this with the watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 7 Feb 2011
Does it exactly what it says on the tin. The foot pod works seamlessly with my 310 everytime and is accurate. I am not sure if you need it if you are running outside as the GPS is excellent on the 310, however I am training for the marathon and some of my runs are completed inside and i like to keep a log for progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars footpod, 7 Jan 2011
Works a treat. I had purchased the Forerunner 405 earlier and added the footpod as a "nice to have". I might need to get a second now to save swapping between indoor and outdoor shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gadget, 20 Oct 2010
as most people have already said paired really easy with my forerunner 50, within about 30 seconds. also very accurate tend to do most of my running as a warm up for the gym so generally on a treadmill, so far very accurate without having to calibrate it. if you are unsure I cannot recommend it highly enough.

price tends to go down the longer it is on the website got mine for a very low 44 but it did go to it's lowest at 43 a few days later. try and hold off for that price, amazon are cheapest by far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Motivational factor, 25 May 2010
Anne V. (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
I added the footpod to my Garmin F60 to get more accurate data from my running trip, because I wanted to plan and execute my training better. The bonus I got on top was a great motivational factor. Especially the virtual partner is a great help for me when I go running. I needed to calibrate the footpod, before I got it to work accurately, but it is a small task to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Mar 2013
Extremely helpful and useful. This is an amazing device for indoor sports and very friendly interface with my Garmin 610.