4.0 out of 5 stars Footpod for Garmin Forerunner 405CX
Published on 2 Sept. 2010 by danyul

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically Excellent - Commercially Terrible
Published on 30 Dec. 2010 by Graham Mccarthy

4.0 out of 5 stars Footpod for Garmin Forerunner 405CX, 2 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod for Garmin Forerunner Sports Watch (Electronics)
Does exactly what it says on the tin and paired up within a minute with my Garmin Forerunner 405CX. My running is heavily motivated by gadgets and if you run on a treadmill as well as running outside then you will need this little device if, like me, you want to record all your runs. For ease of use and working well I would give 5 stars but it is a tad expensive for what it is (I previously ran with a Nike+) so it loses a star due to cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically Excellent - Commercially Terrible, 30 Dec. 2010
Graham Mccarthy "gmccarthy15" (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I use the Garmin foot pod with my Garmin Forerunner 410, it provided valuable addition data such as my running cadence (the number of steps per minute) and provides distance and speed information when there is no GPS signal available, namely when in the gym or on a treadmill. It works reliably and appears to be really surprisingly accurate. It also synchronises with the Forerunner 410 reliably and in seconds.

The foot pod is small, in fact the same size as a Nike Plus device and will fit in a Nike plus holder in your training shoe. It comes mounted on a quick release harness that fastens to the running shoe by the laces. This seems secure enough although I confess I use a Velcro Shoe Pouch when outside, the quick release harness hasn't yet earned my trust.

So why only three stars? Well, when describing the cost of the Garmin foot pod I toyed with the words `amazing' and `eye-watering' but these didn't really cut it and I was finally forced to resort to `astonishing'. The Nike+ Sport Kit retails for around £20 and is essentially the same technology and that would seem to be a reasonable price for this unit, even £30 may be reasonable. You would need to be really serious about running to invest in this foot pod at this price.

So to sum up, technically the foot pod is excellent, reliable and accurate, commercially - what were they thinking? At £40 I'd award it four stars; at £30 I'd give it five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb addition to a Garmin running watch, 2 Jan. 2014
Richard Brunton (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you have a Garmin watch, run, and use the Garmin Connect site to track your workouts once they're uploaded then this device is most definitely worthwhile, especially if you like your stats and analysing your runs.

I have the Forerunner 310XT already coupled with a heart rate monitor. Using the Footpod gives me additional information on cadence (strides per minute) and average stride length. Using these figures can help with developing your running style, although you need to do some research and understand what they mean for you as well as choose the school of thought on their interpretation that's right for you. I love stats and I am working on improving my running style so I'm finding these stats are rather useful.

The device is small enough to sit nicely on your shoe with the clip sitting beneath one set of crossover laces and the device clipping easily over the top. I've worn it out on a number of runs now and I've had no problem with it flying off, it's also been through a few puddles and some torrential rain and I've had no problem with it failing on me.

One thing I've found is that the 310XT will use the Footpod instead of a GPS signal. This is handy on runs when you do lose the GPS, although I find that rarely happens, but at the start of a run you need to ensure you have a good GPS signal and lock before starting, otherwise your Garmin Connect map can look a little off target to begin with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't put a foot wrong in my opinion., 26 Nov. 2013
This has revolutionised my treadmill workouts.

I always felt that I was running faster than the treadmill showed and this has proved it. It also gives me a way to get data from these workouts which I can analyse like outdoor workouts. Synching it to my forerunner 310XT was a wee bit complicated but nothing especially taxing, though I did need to find a video on how to do it on Youtube. So maybe the instructions could be improved if nothing else. Added to that it's accurate, clips on easily and reliably to my shoes. Is it a little bit expensive? Possibly, but a gadget is only worth what you're willing to pay for it, and I stumped up the cash and don't regret the purchase. Too early to tell how long lasting it is however. A nice gadget for a moderately keen runner and upwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome piece of kit, 10 Dec. 2010
This was the SDM4 model which supports the cadence feature and precisely what I was after in terms of add-ons for my 310xt setup. I wanted it so I can record all my indoor treadmill sessions as well as force my cadence up.

Pros:
Can clip to laces or squeeze in arch area of shoe
Tiny (about size of 10p but slightly thicker)
99% accurate speed once calibrated against GPS (so can use on treadmill)

Cons:
So small and light if you havent connected it to your shoes correctly then
Might not be overly waterproof (used wetsuit latex glue to seal battery cap better)
Expensive-probably OK at £40 but £70 is way overpriced. I paid a lot less as it was a clearance item so very happy
Clip very small compared with polar footpod so wouldnt notice if it fell off when running-just put it inside shoe instead.

Despite the drawbacks, if you see it for under £40 I would recommend it if your a data freak like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to link to my Garmin 620 and providing great ..., 23 Jan. 2015
S. Houghton "Steve Hougthon" (Chelmsford, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Truly impressive. Easy to link to my Garmin 620 and providing great results on the treadmill straight from the box, without any calibration. The 620 is a great watch but the pace data when on the treadmill was poor for me. Using the foot pod and instantly fixed that and I now have great data (with all the other metrics from the HRM) for all my treadmill runs.

Worth the money (£36 here on Amazon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training aid..., 5 Feb. 2013
I bought this in addition to my Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch. The price may put a lot of people off buying this product but it really is a fantastic piece of kit. It fits perfectly in to my Nike + running shoes and connects instantly with my Sportswatch with out any problems. I train regularly and the information from my Footpod combined with the data from my Forerunner really does keep you motivated. The Footpod does require calibration but this is incredibly simple. You have several options for doing this, either walk or run around the inside lane of an 800m track... this may not be an option for some people. The second option is to just walk or run until the Sportswatch tells you to stop. Both are really accurate and simple to do. The main feature from the Footpod is the run cadence when you are outside and have a GPS signal. On days when you really don't want to hit the road and the treadmill seems like a better option the Footpod will track all of your data as you won't have the GPS signal needed to calculate distance, brilliant for keeping track of those indoor miles. This is a great addition to the Garmin Forerunner watches and fully recommended for anyone who is serious about running or just getting in to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a stride length by km calculation would be much better than overall run average provided by garminconnect site, 10 July 2014
Functions well, detected very quickly by watch. Data available for analysis afterwards is limited, Perhaps a stride length by km calculation would be much better than overall run average provided by garminconnect site. Difficult to interpret what the colour coding of the cadence graph means as it mentions vertical movement but seems only to use cadence rate. Hadn't used it on treadmill yet but I don't foresee any issue if calibrated correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also compatible with the Garmin 410, 8 Aug. 2013
I rate this product very highly for its unobtrusive design. It is extremely lightweight and simple to fit by threading your laces between the two separable parts of the footpad. My previous Heart Rate Monitor had a huge footpod (more than a golf ball's weight) so this is a massive improvement. Communication with the main unit is consistently good and fast to be established.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband has been like Forest gump all Christmas, 31 Dec. 2014
Ms. Julie Gower "Bookworm" (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
My husband has been like Forest gump all Christmas! He loves the product but it takes some learning what all the colours mean, but we looked it up on the internet. I though it a little expensive for something that is just a ittle bigger than my thumb nail! LOL. but my husband loves it and is Garmin mad! it was packaged well and arrived really quickly. Well done.