5.0 out of 5 stars Classic design, no fuss coffee maker
This is my fourth (and largest) French press coffee maker. Three of my four are Bodum and I would have to say that it's worth spending the extra on Bodum and avoiding the supermarket own-brand versions which are not as well designed and more prone to breaking.

Published 6 months ago by Colin McCartney

1.0 out of 5 stars Made with cheap plastic part instead of screw
Published on 10 Nov. 2011 by ABP

1.0 out of 5 stars Made with cheap plastic part instead of screw, 10 Nov. 2011
ABP "ABP" (New York , NY) - See all my reviews
This French Press is made with a cheap plastic part instead of a screw that holds down the filter plate when you push the filter down to filter the coffee. The result is that the filter gets pushed up the plunger and doesn't filter the entire pot. The metal screw is sold by Bodum for 2 pounds, I emailed Bodum complaining the my pot doesn't work and was made with the wrong part instead of the screw, but they told me using the plastic piece is intentional and that I can buy the metal screw on their website.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointed,, 29 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Bodum Brazil Coffee Press, 8 Cup, 1.0 L/34 oz - Lime Green (Kitchen & Home)
Looks very stylish but the glass is of a poor quality and breaks very easily. I have had a similar product of a different make for years, which is easy to clean and take apart and is pretty robust. This Bodum one is neither. It's practially impossible to remove the glass jar for cleaning, and I gave up on this product entirely after the glass broke in my hands when I was gently hand washing it. I couldn't remove the glass to replace it with another and have decided to bin the whole thing and purchase another of a different make. A complete waste of money. Suggest if you are considering purchasing this you don't! There is a fundamental design flaw with this coffee press. It looks great, makes good coffee, but just isn't practical for cleaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic design, no fuss coffee maker, 5 Jan. 2015
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

This 8-cup version has the best build quality of all four of my existing coffee makers. It is a very good size: it will give you at least three generous mugfulls - ideal for that Saturday morning hangover!

If you've never had this type of coffee maker before they are dead easy to use and give you a decent cup of coffee. So much so that I don't even bother to buy instant any more.

For those sucked in by the coffee advertising hype - coffee, it seems, is a lifestyle - something to spend lots of money on, get fussed over and talked about endlessly...but for me, it's just a drink - a good drink. The classic simplicity of this coffee maker is ideal for those who want to cut through all the c**p that gets talked about coffee and just have a decent value-for-money brew (or three) to wash down their toast.

This Bodum is easy to clean (and it goes in the dishwasher) and store. When washing it, I recommend occasionally separating the glass from the base, which can be done with care (though takes a while to suss out), to remove trapped coffee granules.

A couple of minor niggles - firstly, it's maybe a little wobbly when pressing down - slightly disappointing given its otherwise solid feel. Also whilst I'm a brands man, I'm not really a logos man - so I'm not crazy about that large raised Bodum logo on the casing.

All in all though, this is a design classic and a five star product and I would anticipate will give me many years of use - just as my other Bodum coffee makers have done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bodum Brazil Coffee Maker 34oz 8 Cup Black, 27 Mar. 2010
Mr. D. Walker "Dennis" (Wirral) - See all my reviews
Well what can you say about this item, it does what is says on the box makes good coffee and tea, sleek looking design, good filter design. The only thing that lets it down is the very loose fitting lid, it could do with a silicone seal on the rim of the lid to give it a nice push-on fit. Expensive, without the lid issue it would be worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little coffee pot, 5 Oct. 2013
I decided to leave this a few months before I rated it, to ensure that it's sturdy enough. As it's a bit of a "fashion" (albeit at the cheap end) item and these aren't always known for their longevity it seemed sensible.

>> Ok, so the good - It works perfectly, utterly functional. After a few months the metal filter is still sufficient to properly filter even the very fine ground coffee that lines the shelves of supermarkets.
Obviously the coarser the grounds, the easier it filters, but even the cheap stuff (Tescos value! :P) works fine.

When you open it, the glass jug has a red Bodum sticker affixed (not in the photo) with safety instructions, pyrex logo etc.., which unless you deliberately peel it off will stay firmly affixed after months of use and washing.
I've found that this actually doubles-up as a handy guide so you can pour your hot water at a glance, and you quickly figure out that for 2x cups you pour to "this" line, and for 3x, "that" line, etc..
Seems silly but bleary-eyed in the morning it helps almost as much as the lines on a measuring-jug.

The plunger mechanism is basically plastic, hard enough wearing but don't just ram it down because it would be possible to cause wear if you're particularly careless, since the metal rod pushes down through the plastic lid.
Then again, if you plunge too hard & fast, or at an angle on one of these, you end up with gritty coffee so just by using it properly you won't be riding it too hard.

>> The bad. The pyrex jug is pretty thin - I've accidentally clonked it against the kitchen tap a few times while washing, but I have no doubt it would smash were I to drop it on a hard floor.

So too, the thin glass means that if you make yourself 2x cups, the coffee will remain hot inside the jug just long enough to drink the first one in a reasonable time & allow you to drink the second, but it won't keep hot in the jug for longer than say, 20 minutes without some kind of insulating cosy.

Also, the plastic frame that surrounds the jug is very hard bordering on impossible to remove. Unless I broke the jug I'd never risk taking the green frame off lest I accidentally break the glass, so this means that after a while you end up with little bits of coffee stuck between the plastic and the glass.
Not enough to look bad, and not at all unsanitary, but it just irks slightly that it appears to be removable, but is fitted so tight you daren't remove it.
To be honest though, that's such a minor issue as to be not worth worrying about, I include it just so anyone looking at this pot knows not to expect to be popping the glass out.

All in all, a very nice little pot, I use it at least daily and normally I just give it a rinse with hot water between uses & let it drip-dry.

4.0 out of 5 stars funky design and well made little coffee maker, 28 Dec. 2011
bought this for my picky husband who had demanded a new coffee maker for christmas. wanted something a little different, but of quality, hence why i choose bodum. love the colour and design. very well made, solid. makes good coffee and easy to use and clean. only thing i would say is i think you need to use more than one scoop of coffee despite what the instruction with the coffee maker may say!
Good purchase, would highly recommend. obviously only time will tell if this product will stand the test of time. husband seems happy with his present. No negative comments anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL COLOUR AND ITEM, 31 Jan. 2012
BODUM ARE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS TO BUY FOR YOUR KITCHEN AND AGAIN THIS DOESNT DISPLEASE MADE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY AND WONDERFUL COLOUR AND THE INTERNAL PRESS/STRAINER IS A TIGHT FIT SO DOESNT ALLOW ANY OF THE FILTER COFFEE TO GET THROUGH ONCE AGAIN AMAZON THANKS FOR SUCH A FANTASTIC PRODUCT AND SUCH A WONDERFUL PRICE XX

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Mugs, 19 Sept. 2014
Bought as a present for my son, who already has a single classic Bodum but wanted a larger one for when he is entertaining. Another great Bodum design which works perfectly to deliver great coffee. It may make 8 small cups, but if like me you drink your coffee in a mug, it manages just over two. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, does the job, 29 Mar. 2015
I love the look of this coffee pot, bonus that you can put it in the dishwasher, downside is it seems to collect salt or coffee particals between the glass pot and the white covering, I can't work out if the glass can be removed for proper cleaning

2.0 out of 5 stars I ended up getting a cheaper one in TK maxx and it worked much better. Was disappointed as I expected more from a ..., 10 July 2014
The screw to the sieve part...(excuse my ignorance to the correct terminology)...never worked properly. I ended up getting a cheaper one in TK maxx and it worked much better. Was disappointed as I expected more from a reputable brand.