on 23 May 2009
A little disappointing - a strange writing style that is quite evangelistic and informal chatty conversational. Basically he believes that rating sites will replace much of marketing as trusted word of mouth becomes the preferred consumer source of information and that these sites will be worth millions as the owners can sell packaged and anonymized information to corporates about 'what people are saying about your brand'. Also that citizen journalists will get paid using 'tip jars' which the network will take a slice of. It could have ended at the end of the first chapter as the rest of the book is less interesting. Pretty easy to read though.
on 21 April 2010
If you are looking for a book that will introduce to Social Media... such Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and how to use them for business or your private use.... well this is not the book you want to buy I am afraid (that was my intend when I bough this book).
This being said, there are lots of ideas in that book, which are closely related to "Social Media". You can apply them to your regular type of websites to encourage visitors to register for instance. Then, what to do with these subscriptions, how to make subscribers right reviews, how to reward them... up to organising conferences and seminars...
Since product reviews are the big thing this year for all e-tailers, it puts this book right back in the trend.
on 24 September 2009
As the founder of a social networking website myself, I have to say that I found this book an inspirational read. Just to be clear, the book is not referring to all social networking sites (some of the biggest names in the business are to some extent dismissed by their reliance on display advertising that no-one clicks on), rather it is "recommender" networks where people are discussing company products and services that- with some creative thinking- can be turned into significant revenue streams. These recommender networks though have to solve a problem that people have and also be engaging enough for people to return to. This central message has certainly got me thinking about the future of my own site and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has started, or is thinking about starting, a social networking website.The Social Network Business Plan: 18 Strategies That Will Create Great Wealth
on 22 February 2011
I bought this book about six months ago, at the time I was planning to start a social network business. However just as said by previous reviewers, it turned out not exactly what I was looking for.

Now I am looking to start a new business, so I dug this book out and realized this book had a number of good business ideas and the author was very forward thinking. I agree it is not for everyone, as it might not much sense to people who haven't had much exposure to the web business itself. But for anyone who's seriously considering getting into social network business, it is an inspirational read.
on 1 October 2012
If you've done some minimum research online you will find many more revenue generators. Author writes a lot of fluff around the 3 ideas in the book. The author has been able to create a full book from just a few concepts.
on 2 August 2012
It's a good read although the 'free' bit preview was the best part of the book.
Overall I give this two out of five, the promise of something different did not materialise, but interesting if nothing else.