The Hangover [DVD] [2009]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£2.92+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 December 2009
Well, this was a couple of notches less special than I had been expecting. I had read several private and professional reviews and my expectations were pretty high, but very little in the film managed to live up to the hype.

It's not exactly a road movie, simply four guys going to Vegas for a bachelor weekend (or a stag night as we would call it here) and inevitably getting into trouble. Although the night itself isn't shown, one thing that's not in question is that all four of them got very drunk and the next day can't rememember what happened - and one of them is missing: the groom, no less. So he has to be found in order to get him to the church on time.

There are some moments that made me chuckle, quite a few to be fair, but I thought it was going to be hilarious and it was never quite that. In fact, the comedy elements were underplayed if anything, and the film as a whole was as much of a drama, maybe even a suspense mystery at times, and this was a constant surprise. Not as big a surprise however as the absence of any moments that made me holler with laughter. And I was ready to do just that, indeed I was expecting it. The main four characters probably had the ability to do it, but the script didn't allow them to. Some of the peripheral characters, notably the Chinese gangsters, were just camp and let down the good work put in by the main players.

I've heard this film being described as one of the funniest films of 2009. If that's true - and it might be for all I know - then standards must be slipping. Actually, the Madagascar 2 DVD was released in 2009, and I can say without hesitation that it was a whole lot funnier than Hangover, even if it is a whole lot different. In summary it's OK, it's definitely watchable even if it's entirely predictable (apart from such details as tigers and Tyson) but for me it didn't set any new landmarks in cinema comedy.

Of course, this is the Blu-Ray version and I'd give it 4-stars for HD transfer, although the sound was nothing special. The benefits of the high clarity and broad colour spectrums were displayed in the sunshine on the road, but only for small segments of the total running time. If I was buying it, I would pick the standard-definition version. In my case I rented it so with no cost difference I will always opt for Blu-Ray but in this case there's limited advantage, even if it's better than some I've seen this year.

There is a choice of two versions: Theatrical and Unrated; I watched the extended Unrated option.

Spoken languages : English, French and German plus English descriptive narration.
Subtitles : English, French, German, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Swedish

PIP theatrical version commentary 100 minutes

Extras last 36 minutes - background locations, Ken Jeong's hilarious improvisations, compilation of all the physical comedy, Three Best Friends Song, The Dan Band perform 'Fame', Gag reel and still image gallery.

I can't help but feel a little disappointed given my bright expectations, but it's still worth a watch, just nothing special.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

COMMENTS

Mr. Christopher Hemming says:
Hi, I bought this film and was expedting it to be very funny. It was funny in parts,funniest of 2009, I don't think so. (Don't buy just rent). Save your money and wait for a REAL funny film.

This review was spot on.

How some people can say this film is very funny (beggers belief). Some parts were funny, but I thought was a let down.
I advise you to rent and not to buy.

Posted on 23 Dec 2010 10:35:48 GMT

Cian Mcintyre says:-

I agree wholeheartedly with this review. There were some smirk-inducing moments but with how people had gone on about it, I was expecting to spend half the movie gasping for breath but there weren't any particularly funny moments, most of the jokes just seem to stem from Alan saying or doing something dumb.

Posted on 23 Dec 2010 12:01:57 GMT

Mr. Christopher Hemming says:-

I also bought this film and what he says is TRUE.IF i were you and I wanted to watch a FUNNY film my advise would be look elewhere. Some reviewere who thought this film was funny from start to finish must have had about 10 points down at the pub

Posted on 24 Dec 2010 14:55:22 GMT
on 11 January 2012
"The Hangover" is a 2009 comedy film, directed by Todd Phillips ("Road Trip" and "Due Date") and written by Jon Lucas and
Scott Moore ("Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" and "The Change-Up"). But of course the most recognised people of the movie are Bradley Cooper ("The A-Team"), Ed Helms ("The Office") and Zach Galifianakis ("Due Date").

Being Doug Billings (alias Justin Bartha), Phil Wenneck (alias Bradley Cooper) and Stu Price (alias Ed Helms) three great friends since childhood, they are going to Vegas to celebrate Doug's bachelor party. Much because Doug's about-to-be-wife Tracy Garner (alias Sasha Barrese) and respective family, they're not going alone, because Tracy's little brother Alan (alias Zach Galifianakis) is also going.

Things couldn't look brighter for them, three friends and a semi-stranger that acts slightly odd sometimes, partying all night long. However something does go wrong.

In the morning after the bachelor party, Phil, Stu and Alan find their hotel room trashed, a tiger in a very inconvenient place and not a trace of Doug (the person that is supposed to marry in two days). And worst of all, they don't remember a single thing of the previous night.

It's easy to understand that this comedy's structure will be different from the usual (and almost invariantly boring)comedy's mold. Instead of depending in the protagonists and their actions, it will depend on their inactions and the environment the protagonists are surrounded by. That will produce a very interesting effect, because Phil, Stu and Alan won't have one moment to rest, being bombarded all the time with new and unexpected situations.

There's also another very significant difference from the traditional comedy, because the three of them will not learn anything from that amazing (if somewhat unrealistic) experience. To prove that just take in consideration "The Hangover Part II".

In a nutshel, it was fun, with hardly a dull moment and much different from usual.

Highly recommended.

Till next time,
M.I.T.H. (ManInsideTheHelm)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
`The Hangover' is a goofy comedy about a stag night in Las Vegas that goes horribly wrong when the stags wake up in the morning with a tiger in the bathroom (!), absolutely no recollection of the night before and a missing groom. The film quickly descends into frantic farce as they try to retrace their steps and find the lost groom before it is too late. The actor who plays Andy (Zach Galifianakis) is particularly good and makes this film a whole lot funnier and the other actors manage to keep things speeding along whilst raising laughs at regular intervals. This has a real `old school' vibe about it and reminded me of various comedies from the 80's and if you enjoyed the off-the-wall comedies from that era then this will be right up your street. There are plenty of cliches and obvious jokes but they are delivered so well you can't help but laugh despite yourself. You even get a cameo appearance from Mike Tyson who is pretty funny as well. The various elements the stags have to track down and uncover to find the groom keep the story interesting and make you want to keep watching to find out how various things occurred and how they lead to the groom; like a funny detective story. This is a film that doesn't try to take itself too seriously and sets out to deliver some laughs by the time the film ends and whilst it isn't ground shaking or the best comedy I have ever seen, it does achieve it's goal and had me chuckling at points throughout. Worth a look at some point.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 30 December 2011
The film is about four friends who go to Las Vegas for a stag party. They wake up one morning with signs of a wild night out, but no recollection of what actually happened.

What follows is a series of amusing scenes all related to what they did the previous night. The 'Wolf Pack' are an amiable bunch and their chemistry makes the film work. There is a sensible one, a charming fun-loving one and a slightly weird and tubby one.

The problem was I started to wish the film did a few more flashbacks to show you what happened on the night. There just does not seem to be that much going on the day after. The situations get less and less funny as the film goes on.

There are some funny moments and one liners, though you are left wanting more. The feeling is that you have missed out on the (more entertaining) night before.

Overall, an entertaining comedy with a likeable cast that makes the film work better than it should. A few laughs along the way, though one that I would recommend for others to rent rather than buy.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Fortunately I rented "The Hangover" and accordingly it didn't cost me very much to discover that it is, for the most part, a boneheaded romp in which a number of actors well into their thirties, possibly even their forties, mucked about like teenagers. Was it an ironic take on the American comedy genre or an extremely sophisticated post modern analysis of Hollywood mores? No, it was largely infantile movie and it was acutely embarrassing to see grownups behaving like twerps.
on 2 July 2011
Everyone knows the plot - 4 guys wake up drunk in Las Vegas post-stag night, seemingly remembering nothing and one man down. Simple, to the point, and easy-to-follow.

Having seen this film on the big screen when it was first released, I was worried how it would work on the small screen years later. It did not fail! This film is intelligent, witty, surprising and completely entertaining - whether watching it at a cinema with surround sound or snuggled up in bed in your pjs on a tiny screen! It can be predictable, yes, and is crude, rude and sometimes downright filthy...but that's it's appeal.

Definitely one to watch over and over.
on 22 July 2015
A funny road trip film which sort of reminded me of Fandango (1985) with Kevin Costner, Sam Robards and Judd Nelson which is a must see. Although The Hangover is not so much about the road trip but trying to piece together what happened while staying in Las Vegas. An odd and sometimes hysterically funny group of friends who stumble their way through Vegas trying to figure out what happened to their 4th friend who is the groom of a wedding they are heading to. Well worth a night in with popcorn and perhaps to view the sequel.
on 27 June 2011
Purchased this movie after hearing the hype, maybe thats why i was a little dissapointed.
Don't get me wrong this movie is very very funny in places but at the same time has a lot of times where i found myself looking at the clock :-(
Good idea for a movie and everything you would expect from a load of guys going to Vegas on a Stag Weekend and then it starts to get even wilder !
At this price i would definitely recommend picking it up, but not sure if its a movie that i would watch time and time again ???
on 10 January 2010
We watched this blu-ray last night and we were both a bit disappointed. I had high expectations going into this film, and I mean, we both love a good comedy, but this one just fell short in that department. I guess you either think it is the funniest movie in a long time, or you think it's pretty dumb. We thought the latter. The story is unoriginal, the funny scenes too few and far between, and if you have seen the trailer, you know most of them. That being said, there are some pretty funny scenes, like the first one with Mike Tyson had me rolling. In the end, it is not bad for a comedy, but I would rent it instead of buying it, I for one will be reselling my Blu-Ray on Ebay.

As for the Blu-Ray:

The video quality is four stars, it is pretty sharp, but far from reference material. About on par for a blu-ray I would say.

The sound is what annoyed me the most on this blu-ray. Inconsistent mixing made this film a constant battle with the remote control. The dialogue was mixed way too low compared to the rest of the film, forcing you to dial up the volume just to get clear dialogue, then when any kind of action started up, you had to dial it down again. It was a constant sound roller-coaster in this film. Either too loud, or too quiet. The channels were not at all synchronized and you either had too little coming out of the center channel, then too much on the FL, FR speakers, or too much on all of them after just having too little. It is among the worst Dolby True HD soundtracks I have heard on a blu-ray. Two stars here is generous.

For me the film is three stars for a disappointing comedy, and the bad blu-ray quality brings it down to two stars for me.
I cannot recommend buying this film. Rent it first if you really must see it.

Watched on:
Denon 2309, B&W 683 home cinema, Samsung Full HD Tv.
on 18 May 2013
i have literally seen this film over 50 times and it still makes me laugh every time, just as much as the first time i ever watched it! The only reason i brought this DVD is because i scratched my previous disk and part of the film and the special features were gone, so i got straight online and ordered a new one!
i recommend this DVD to everyone, as well as The Hangover Part 2, which is just as awesome! Also, The Hangover Part 3 is out in cinemas soon, so go see it! :D