5.0 out of 5 stars Permission to Sing, Sir!
Not being a huge fan of musicals but being a huge fan of DA, I thought I might as well buy this CD as it was such a great price, even though old music hall choruses seemed a bit cheesy to me - but I'm so glad I did!

Published on 23 April 2009 by Pillboxer1940

3.0 out of 5 stars Wilson, that was brilliant!
Published 22 months ago by Blackmoor

5.0 out of 5 stars Permission to Sing, Sir!, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)

I was pleased to find that this is not a cheap gang show spin-off, but a professional, West End type musical, with properly written songs and amusing banter, made all the better for most of the original cast performing the numbers.

It is not only a series of upbeat, joyful songs, but there is some amusing dialogue between the characters between the numbers.

Bill Pertwee's Warden Hodges singing the black-out laws like a church psalm in Put That Light Out made me laugh out loud. Alternatively, John Le Mesurier 'talksinging' A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square in his characteristic laid back way, plus Arnold Ridley's Private Godfrey trying his best to sing, despite his age, was heartwarming and touching.

Although this is not a complete recording of the show (extra snippets of the dialogue are revealed on the DA DVD extras) nonetheless this is a heartwarming and cheering musical romp, well worth getting to put a smile on your face in these none to cheery times.

I have but two regrets on hearing this CD: the first, I was only two years old when this show hit the stage so I never saw it and secondly, the stage show was never filmed in its entirety. Nonetheless, we're fortunate to at least have this re-mastered audio version. So buy it, crank it up and enjoy - it'll put a smile on your face!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Show. Brilliant Cast., 11 April 2010
Mrs. S. Duxbury (Blackburn, Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's Army (MP3 Download)
I'm so glad to have found this cast recording (and at such a low price)as my vinyl record of this went missing years ago. My Husband and I are fortunate enough to have seen the original stage show when it came to the Opera House Blackpool in the mid 70's.We are even more fortunate to have met Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier, Ian Lavender, Bill Pertwee and Edward Sinclair at the stage door before the show and obtained their autographs.Arnold Ridley eluded us and Clive Dunn was replaced on this leg of the tour by Jack Haigh (Monseiur Leclerc in 'Allo 'Allo and also David Croft's original choice for Corporal Jones in Dad's Army). Frazer and Walker were played by Hamish Roughead and Jeffrey Holland (Hi De Hi, You Rang M'Lord and Oh Dr Beeching).It was a brilliant musical version of the show and I can still picture parts of it to this day especially John le Mesurier talking his way through A Nightingale Sang in Berkley Square in his own inimitable way and The Floral Dance which was hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE LOST GEM...RECOVERED, 18 April 2010
Mr. Simon Denny "simon" (Lowestoft, Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
After nearly 40 years this lost gem finally makes it to CD. AND ABOUT TIME TOO. Having been the proud owner of the original vinyl version for years, it is nice to hear it remastered etc. The performances are top notch as is the writing. I admit there a few dodgy moments in the show but very few. Most of the songs hold up today although the music hall stuff has not travelled the test of time well. If you are a true Dad's Army fan then this is a must. The CD is not exspensive, so buy it now before it too gets deleted like it's vinyl counterpart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magical Find!, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
As a big fan of this programme and member in good standing of the Dad's Army Appreciation Society, I thought I had just about everything available. And then this charming CD came to my attention! It is not a modern-day recreation or simulation but the actual cast of the "Dad's Army" series, performing a lively musical at The Forum Theatre, Billingham, in 1975, when they were at the height of their popularity. And the production was written and directed by none other than Jimmy Perry and David Croft themselves. Some of the cast had pretty nice singing voices, and the music is great. You'll hear the ORIGINAL Captain Mainwaring, Sergeant Wilson, Corporal Jones, Private Godfrey, Private Pike, Warden Hodges, Reverend Farthing, Mr. Yeatman, Mrs. Pike, and even Jonesie's heartthrob, Mrs. Fox. James Beck (Private Walker) had died two years earlier and so was impersonated here by John Bardon. John Laurie (Private Frazer) was replaced by Hamish Roughead. "Don't panic! Don't panic!" Buy it now, or you'll regret letting this little gem slip through your fingers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great souvenir, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
I'd been looking for a recording of this for a long time, and here it is as a 'CD' and in such good quality. This is a delightful 'extra' souvenir of a wonderful situation comedy. There are many fine momemts, although for me John Le Mesurier's performance of 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square' is the biggest highlight. Moving and charming.

4.0 out of 5 stars PERMISSION TO REVIEW, SIR!, 26 Jan 2010
P. J. Wallace "Peter Wallace" (East Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
Your reviewer was lucky enough to see this show at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London with his parents but I have to admit I recall almost nothing of the occasion. It was a long time ago and I was a youthful teen at the time. Therefore I was delighted to come across this original cast recording on Amazon.

This recording was made live at The Forum Theatre, Billingham where I assume the show started before moving to the West End. The audience reaction and applause brings out the best in the cast and provide the right atmosphere for listeners.

Sadly the complete show wasn't recorded but much survives on this CD. I can't identify the "Siegfried Line/We'll Meet Again" from the Shaftesbury Theatre programme and I suspect it was dropped before the production moved to London or it may be item "Tin Pan Alley Goes To War" in the second act. In Act 1, Scene 7 was "Lords of the Air" and then Scene 8, the final one before the interval, is given as "Choir Practice", in other words the "Floral Dance". This is a highlight of the CD and a good lengthy and genuinely funny sketch.

The show itself was quite an odd mixture - perhaps trying to recreate an old-time variety show. There are the moments of classic Dad's Army comedy, but then the cast have the chance to sing, or put across, songs of the period. Then the section entitled "Radio Personalities Of 1940" give key members of the cast the chance to impersonate stars of the era using their material. The Robb Wilton sketch is a classic of British comedy and Arthur Lowe does a lovely job of it. Bill Pertwee brings Max Miller and his cheeky brand of humour back to life. The programme also shows a take off of The Andrews Sisters, but that has not been included here. I was disappointed with "Home Town" as it drags on a bit and ends up in an unwelcome cacophony, not helped by the orchestra. By this stage I feel that much would have been gained by physically restraining the drummer. The orchestrations and musical performance haven't dated as well and it is a pity that the musical director hadn't adopted a more authentic 1940s style instead of something which may have been acceptable in the 1970s.

Nevertheless this is a highly entertaining CD and a must for anyone who treasures Dad's Army. We will never see there like again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fun, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
I remember this show launching (at a theatre only a few miles away from where I lived) but never got so see it. It's more a review than a show, with everyone doing turns, some jolly choruses and a longish sketch featuring the whole platoon at its heart. Part tribute to a great TV show, part 40s nostalgia, part just great family entertainment. Wonderful - Arthur Lowe impersonating Robb Wilton, Bill Pertwee impersonating Max Miller, Peertwee and Frank Williams intoning the blackout regulations in the style of Anglican psalmody, and perhaps the greatest highlight of all, John Le Mesurier singing, or rather talking, "A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square". Magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dads Army lovers!!!, 28 Jun 2013
blue (Southampton, Hampshire. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
Get this if you are a fan!. It's a great addition to any dads army fans collection, and is something you can listen to again and again!!!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage wonderfulness., 12 Jun 2013
A. Fox - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
For many Dad's amy fans this is one of the few items that don't come in the collections avaliable. It's takes you back in time to have a glimps at your favouites doing far more than you knew about. Charming.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wilson, that was brilliant!, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dad's Army (Audio CD)
I saw this show when it was going round the theatres all those years ago. Back then it had me rocking with laughter. Seeing this CD of the show at such a good price there was only one thing to do - buy it! Perhaps there was a slight gap between my memory of the show and the content of the CD and maybe it was this that left me a trifle disappointed. Because of this I have awarded only three stars. However, this CD is a must have for DA addicts if only for the brilliant and moving version of "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square" by the hugely talented John Le Mesurier. He speaks the words rather than sings them and brings a new and aching dimension to this classic song. It is this track that I shall play over and over again.

Dad's Army