5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new CD from Buffy!
Published on 5 Jun. 2009 by Mr. L. Moreland

3.0 out of 5 stars Buffy great, production poor.
Being a huge Buffy fan I was awaiting this release mith great expectation. When I first heard it though I didn't know what to think.
Published on 5 April 2009 by unclechristo

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new CD from Buffy!, 5 Jun. 2009
Mr. L. Moreland (Winnersh,Berks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
WOW! A new CD finally from the wonderful Buffy Sainte-Marie and she is sounding better than ever! Such a shame we had to wait for some new material, but it was worth the wait! This CD is a real mixed bag of styles (as previous reviewers have noted) But through it all Buffy's voice shines. I came to hear of Buffy on her Coincidence and Likely stories CD, and although I have also checked out her earlier work, for me her best stuff is her most current. She certainly sounds like she's having fun on the first 3 up-tempo ethnic tracks, then we have a change of pace and styles, which she seems to pull off with ease - she is so versatile! The cd has a booklet with lyrics and an introduction to each song by Buffy and some great photos, past and present. The additional 1hour DVD of her life is very interesting and contains lots of interviews with Buffy and other important people in her life and is a great companion piece. Shame there are not more dvd's showing her concert footage. Apart from the excellent live Region 1 DVD 'Up Where We Belong', there doesnt seem to be anything else available, which is a shame. I think that if you liked Buffy's last 2 CD's , you will LOVE this!! - Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 25 July 2009
C. J. Walker (U K) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
After reading previous reviews of this cd I was unsure if I should purchase it,well thank goodness I did.It has not been off my player since it arrived a week ago,I cannot recomend this album enough.Listening to Buffy it is difficult to believe she is sixty eight years of age,her voice sounds so good.What I love about this album is the variety of styles.Abit of blues,rockabilly,pow-wow and some gorgeous ballads,as soon as it finishes you want to play it again.I buy quite a lot of albums and this is the best one I have heard in a long while where every track is excellent.If that was not enough you get a brilliant DVD as well,Buffy talks about her long career with lots of old footage,she really is an earth mother,a remarkable human being.Only one moan,please Buffy don't leave it so long until your next masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffy best singer songwriter, 21 Mar. 2009
Ms. Lynda Allen (N.IRELAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
This cd was well worth waiting for.Buffy is the best singer songwriter of our time.I especially liked "Too much is never enough"and "Easy like the snow falls down."The songs cover a wide range of music genres and show just how talented Buffy Sainte-Marie is. The dvd which was also included in this package was an hour long and contained past and present day footage..a must have for any Buffy fan like myself.
A very talented lady with a great voice.Such integrity,a rarity in this day and age.More songs Buffy please keep going.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, as always, 25 Aug. 2009
It's a cliche, but a true one, that Buffy Sainte Marie gets better as she gets older. It's been a bit of a wait for this album but, as always, it's been worth it.

Her influences are many and varied, from R&B, Rock, Edith Piaf, Dance, Avant-Garde, to her own native music. It's difficult to put a label on the album as there are touches of all these influences running through the varied and always interesting tracks, all of them, presented in Buffy Sainte Marie's totally original way.

Through the album she uses her unique vocal talents to the full and brings something fresh to even familiar tracks like Little Wheel Spin and Spin and America the Beautiful.From gentle ballad to foot-stomping, hand-clapping music, this album would grace anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffy......Still Going Strong, 24 Sept. 2011
Malcolm (Edlesborough, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
I bought this album mostly for the DVD about Buffy's life which has long been overdue.

The songs on the CD are good but the musical arrangements seem to drown out her voice a little. There are a couple of familiar tracks, " Working For The Government " and " Little Wheel Spin and Spin", and of course some new ones. "Cho Cho Fire" is good Pow Wow fun and some reflective tracks too.
It is hard to imagine, that this year, 2011, Buffy is 70. She has the ability to stay young in her soul and make her listeners feel that youthful energy too.

The hour long accompanying DVD "A Multimedia Life" a documentary by Joan Prowse is well worth owning.Buffy's Folk/Rock/Country style can be seen to grow from her early beginnings in NY folk clubs until she became the Academy Award winning singer/songwriter she is today.
Her commitment to Native American issues is as strong as ever, and there is nobody better at keeping the genocide of the Native Americans to the forefront of known history.
It is interesting to note that President Lyndon Johnson would intimidate radio stations into censoring/banning Buffy's music by writing letters on White House stationery. He did not want an anti-war message putting out during the Vietnam war.
A great deal of Buffy's energy these days, goes into her Cradleboard Teaching Project, but there does not seem to be any sign of her slowing down. Not the best album from this great lady, but one worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buffy great, production poor., 5 April 2009
unclechristo (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
I've listened now a few times and have a handle on the album more. This is not the shoot-from-the-hip Buffy of Coincidence & Likely Stories. This is Buffy having some fun, I think, and trying to bridge the results of that back to her recent sound. Unlike Coincidence... and Up Where We Belong, there is not a consistant "sound" here. She does some jazz, an Elvis Its Alight Mama soundalike, a bluesrock with Taj Mahal and a reworking of classic acoustic song Little Wheel Spin & Spin, etc.

My frustrations are almost all with the production. I really liked Chris Birkett's production on the last 2 albums but there are a few things that bug me here...

1. programing - The 3 uptempo ethno-beat numbers are tracks 1,2,3 - then all kind of styles follow. I'da spread them out.

2. her voice is mixed a bit high on quite a few tracks, making band sound weedy and seperate. Also her voice sounds like it's been put thru one of those supposedly warming compressors - sounds like she's singing on the other side of a piece of greaseproof paper. I had one of these for a while - loved it for a fortnight - then we all hated it and realised how artificial it sounded.

3. drums, (real & electronic) production is especially poor throughout - real drums sound sould like they were in another room, electronic ones sound lifeless - electric guitar sounds are flat too and never sound gorgeous - I sense producer was "going for a sound" - but in the end some tracks just sound like demos. The electronics needed to be better and the acoustic side warmer and more real (Up Where We Belong was a good mix of both)- this album is trapped in a kind of electro acoustic lo-fi that gets the best out of neither. End result is a kid of cheap plasticy sound.

4. I hate it when acoustic solo ballads are mastered to be as loud as big rock tracks, making the voice much louder on the ballads. That is mastering done by numbers and not ears.

So - nowhere near as good as Coincidence & Likely Stories but that would be hard to do - perhaps with the same producer comparisons are inevitable and unfortunate. You can't keep summing up the global zeitgeist everyday and with every album. Ya gotta have some fun sometime. There are more songs of the heart here too.

One has to temper the frustrations with the sheer delight of hearing new work from Buffy and she is on lively form. Play it in a light frame of mind without too much baggage of expectation and you'll enjoy it. I just wish they'd walked round the garden a few times, come back to it fresh and mixed it again.

The free DVD on the version I got is a great documentary about Buffy and worth an extra star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffy is BRILL, 3 Jan. 2010
E. L. Fraser "Elfin" (Essex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
RUNNING for the DRUM. By Buffy Sainte-marie. Have not stopped playing the album since I received it. It is BRILLIANT. Will be ordering more of Buffy's albums. Her quest to teach the rest of the world the truth about 'people' and their antics is great. I LIKE very much Thankyou. Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars Grts better with the years, 22 Dec. 2009
Mr. Roderick S. Barnes (Porthleven, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
What more can I say Buffy just seems to get better with the years. I can not really pick a favourite from this album but if I did it would be To Much is Never Enough, it shows love of the family, love of a friend and most of all love. The DVD is a terrific documentary of her life and shows how hard she works to achieve in what she believes and caring for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Amazing Buffy Sainte Marie, 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
I am so glad to have found this CD with DVD included! Next want to find one with Star Walker.

4.0 out of 5 stars at last, 29 Dec. 2013
D. A. Smith - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running For The Drum (Audio CD)
I love buffy, I have all her early albums, but this, the first I have bought for a long while left me a little disappointed, perhaps I'm getting old and yearn for the past and Buffy has moved on, such is life.

Running For The Drum
Running For The Drum by Buffy Sainte-Marie (Audio CD - 2010)