5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - addresses the short falls in the 305 and 405
I have had the 305 and 405 and whilst these are both great products in their own right had a few short comings which, for me, the 310XT addresses

Published on 22 July 2009 by P. Underwood

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty products! Stick with your 305
I've had my Garmin 310XT a few weeks after many great years using a 305. I decided to `upgrade' as a gift to myself rather than necessity. The unit was good for the first few week, but not really superior to the 305 apart from the battery life, the vibrate alert option and being waterproof.

However, it seems these units have bugs. Firstly, on some cooler...
Published on 13 July 2011 by YorkshireRunner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - addresses the short falls in the 305 and 405, 22 July 2009
P. Underwood (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch (Electronics)

It fits nicely in the wrist and is lighter than the 305 and more comfortable than both the 305 and 405 that both feel a little rigid due to the satellite receivers. It has the great satellite pick up of the 405. Its waterproof so great for swimming and triathlon. The virtual runner shows both time and distance ahead or behind (305 only shows time). You can vary your target pace as you run (like the 405). The screen is easy to see whereas the 405 can be a bit difficult. The screens are more easily customisable than the 305 and 405 and has extra options such as actual speed e.g. 12.5kph when running rather than just pace.

The buttons for scrolling are simple and faultless (the 405 bezzel is a nighmare when wet when it rains or you are sweaty)

It has the ANT wireless and pairs easily with your computer

It doesnt have the pre loaded runs like the 305 such as 10k, half marathon but they take seconds to set up via the custom option on the watch or training software so they can be reused.

It also has vibrate alerts so you know when a split has been taken or you have started the timer etc as well as the usual beep option - I didnt think I would be to bothered by having it but now Ive used it its pretty handy.

Its a bit more expensive than the 305 and 405 but worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Top product - MUCH better than previous models, 24 Dec 2009
Steven Porter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch (Electronics)
I have owned the Forerunner 205 and 305 and was happy with both. This model though is a cut above. I considered buying a Polar, but was disappointed to read you have to buy a 50 gadget just to download data and even then they are not Mac compatible. I read reviews on Amazon and bought this one instead.

The watch is a good size and not heavy at all. The size is bigger than the 405 but you wouldn't wear it as a normal watch anyway, so this is fine for me.

Here are the positives for me compared to other models:

1. The GPS pick-up is superb! It is quick, even if you move locations. I moved from Abu Dhabi to Brussels and it picked up satellites in less than a minute. It even worked in my kitchen!
2. The vibration alert is really useful as you don't always want the watch beeping during events. Also if you have music on you don't have to rely on hearing it.
3. The charging cradle/lead is really easy to use and small enough to travel with.
4. The virtual partner function is very useful again.
5. The ease of uploading data to my Mac. The watch automatically pairs with the supplied USB 'dongle' once initially setup. It then transfers data to your computer very quickly.

As a final positive, the Garmin Connect software is superb. It tracks maps on Google and shows you split times, etc at each lap. The stuff you can do with this software is excellent. It seems that Garmin are committed to improve the software/firmware as updates seem to be worked on regularly and a firmware update was available for me yesterday. I have not used this online software before but it really is very easy to use and shows great information. Much better than the Polar online stuff!

The only negative thing would be the...orange strap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit, 2 Jun 2014
As a recreational runner this does all the basics really well with plenty of scope for more sophisticated analysis or branching out into swimming and cycling. Set up was fine needing average effort and concentration but after that it's dead easy.
The great things about it are:
1. Quick satellite fix.
2. Simple start and stop.
3. Come back from run, stand next to computer whilst doing stretches and the USB Ant+ stick automatically connects and uploads data to computer.
4. Garmin Connect is great, straightforward and easy to compare similar distances and see progress. Mapping seems pretty accurate to me.
5. Heart Rate Monitor works well and is comfortable
6. 20 hour battery and easy charging.
7. Very comfortable. Doesn't feel too big and more comfortable than some watches as the side straps dig in less due to back reaching to sides of wrist.
8. It's motivating to compare runs and see real progress as the pace goes up whilst the max heart rate comes down.
9. Virtual partner - always fun to glance at your watch and try to stay ahead of the little running man on the screen

Don't forget:
1. Change GPS readings to 1 second for better accuracy.
2. Add more screens (up to three more - change on watch under data) to see heartbeat displayed. I didn't know why I couldn't see heart bpm initially but it is because the default is one screen display and you need to add another with bpm data etc displayed.

I don't know whether I'll get around to using more than about 50% of the watch's potential but I love that all I have to do is put the watch and HRM on, turn it on and wait a few seconds for fix, press start and stop at the end and then just stand by the pc. There's no faffing time which you could use to talk yourself out of the run! All the information is then available for very little effort. At around the 125 mark this seems like a bargain

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product, 1 Feb 2010
S. Hogg (Lisburn, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Being a Garmin Forerunner 301 user, which was pretty good in its day and is still working reliably, I finally decided to upgrade to the new Garmin Forerunner 310XT. As I discovered on my first run, which was in the evening, the backlight did not function and could not be made to function. Amazon were extremely good and quickly sent a replacement. I have now had the opportunity to compare the performance of the new 310XT against the older 301.

Wearing a watch on each wrist, I did a few runs and loaded the results of both watches into SportTracks software (select the 405 model or the GPS Communicator). I superimposed the paths onto maps of my routes. I could zoom out so that the maps showed a lot of detail. It was quickly evident that the 310XT watch followed the routes more closely and more predictably than the 301 watch. That is not to say that the 310XT followed the routes perfectly, for GPS is not that accurate, but it was much less affected by the influence of buildings and trees. Quite impressive, really.

The 310XT also picks up satellites much more quickly.

The flexibility offered by the user-customisable screens is a great improvement. I am still experimenting with which data to display. And the use of the on/off switch to quickly set the backlight illumination level to 0%/50%/100% is very user friendly and quick to use on the run.

The chest strap for the heart rate monitor is very nice and, comfort-wise, is quite an improvement on that of the 301.

There are still a number of functions I have not yet tried but, overall, I think this is a very nice speed and distance monitor. In my opinion, it is a good improvement to the 301, which I still also like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 13 July 2010
I bought this item about a month ago.

Whilst it is relatively expensive compared to the 305 etc, this is an amazing piece of kit. If you are looking for an item to help motivate you, you really cant get better! I have run in the 2006,2007 and 2009 London Marathons and needed some extra incentive to go training. It acquires satellites very quickly (I have used it in the UK and Greece and it takes no more than 2 minutes to locate your position)...

The ANT connection to my IMac was brilliant and easy to install. My 310XT now links with the computer after every run, without any problems. It is great to see your route on Google Earth.
I have used it for tennis, running, swimming and canoeing! Running is certainly what this item is best suited to.

Battery life is good and whilst the orange colour wouldn't impress everyone, it is completely fine!
I really rate this item....

Since I reviewed this item, the back light stopped working. I tried all the reset procedures and the light still would not work. usually I wouldn't mind too much, but since the daylight is drawining in, in the UK, I contacted Garmin. They really could not have been better. Make sure that you call them (you may be kept waiting for a while). The email method of contacting Garmin, gained no response. Despite this minor flaw, I continue to rate this product 5 stars. It is absolutely brilliant and all in all, my experience with Garmin was superb! Make sure that yiou keep the rather large packaging when the item arrives...

If you want motivation to train, this is the item, I promise you!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not perfect, 12 Feb 2010
P. Walker "man of leisure" (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch (Electronics)
I have never purchased a GPS watch before so have nothing to compare this with. Other reviews seem to say it is an improvement over older models, however I can only speak from my experience of this.

Firstly, I had problems installing the USB stick driver onto my PC. Having contacted Garmin support they suggested I turn off or uninstall all my security software (anitvirus / firewall etc.) and try to reinstall. I shut down as many programs and services as I could, after first disconnecting my PC from the internet, and tried again, but to no avail. Eventually I found the answer on a forum after searching on google, and it seems many people are experiencing the same problem. In the end I had to start the installation as usual, until my computer hung. Then reboot windows into safe mode, to complete the installation, then reboot back into normal mode and start the ANT program running.

After successful installation it began to upload runs to my PC without any problem. However, in the last week, the software has now started to error when it first attempts to upload a run. When I restart the software it appears to upload the run successfully, but doesn't always work successfully, meaning I have lost some of my runs.

As far as the GPS goes, this is not perfect either. Last week I ran near my home, but by the time I had walked (a couple of minutes) to where I was going to start, the watch had not found the satellites, so I started running anyway. Three-quarters of a mile later the watch had found the satellites. I'd been running in an open park area, and there were no trees or buildings that should have blocked the signal. Also, when viewing runs on the computer after having uploaded them, there are sometimes small gaps where it looks like the watch has lost the GPS signal, and sometimes the recorded route seems to differ wildly for short distances from where I've actually run. In addition to this the inclines and declines recorded seem to be way out in places (though I'm not sure if it gets this information from the maps, or GPS). Unfortunately, all this makes me question how accurate the distances are it is telling me that I've run.

Having said all that, the GPS receiver seems to work better when I've run in areas outside my hometown, so perhaps I'm just unlucky with where I live!

I do still like the idea of the device, and what it tries to do, and in spite of the above, I think most of the time it is fairly accurate with the information it's telling me. I'm planning on running my first marathon this year after starting running 5 years ago, and being able to review the runs I've done, and use the watch to help pace myself over the miles has been really useful. However, for the price that I paid for this item, I would expect it to work near perfectly, all of the time, and for me it's too glitchy. Therefore I can only give it 3 stars.

UPDATE August 2011: Having used watch for well over a year now, I would like to update my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars. I think my initial problems with installation and getting used to using the device lowered my initial opinion. Although still not perfect (from the perspective of picking up satellites quickly - although as pointed out by others it is fine if you wait until you have them before starting), I have discovered and used many more of the useful training features, and found this overall to be an excellent training aid. I also use it for cycling now, and the feature that allows you to upload and follow your route removes all the hassle from navigating in areas you are unfamiliar with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, 25 Feb 2010
moomarine (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This thing really is going to be one of the best gadgets I have (and I have a lot!) I cant get over how good this thing is and don't understand any negative reviews??

Myself

To begin with I will explain my situation and what I use the 310xt for. I am currently a serving Royal Marine who obviously needs to keep fit at all time incase of a fastball fitness test and for obvious other reasons too! I usually run 5 days a week changing between long distances and shorter 3 mile runs which I do to stay on top of my RM BFT (Basic fitness test) which is 3 miles in total. Now I do not do a lot of swimming and cycling but have used the watch while using my bike but I don't really ride my bike for exercise purposes, I have not tested the watch in water. I run mostly on the roads but do go cross country occasionally, which involves moving through quite thick woods. You may be wondering why I got this one instead of the 305 if I do not swim with it? Answer is simple I sometimes use it for longer than the battery life of the 305.

Performance

The 310 has never cut out on me or lost any signal while running even through the woods which impressed me quite a lot. I also went on a 15 mile walk using it where I was going through really dense woods and it worked ok. The accuracy of distance and speed are very accurate and have never seen it do anything crazy like say im moving at 2 min miles! The first time I used it I was really impressed when uploading my first test run onto garmin connect and saw the exact route I ran on a map on screen and it was absolutely spot on with every twist and turn on the route. Performance for me is faultless and if you want to know about swimming try one of the other reviews, from what I read it does not work when swimming due to signal loss.

Look and feel

When using the watch it is so light compared to older models that you don't really notice it when running, the fact that it looks sort of big isn't a big deal as you need to be able to see the screen when running, if it was any smaller it would be a nightmare! It isn't that big compared to some older ones anyway. If you like bright orange then you will like what it looks like but saying that why do you care unless your planning on using it on a night out to see how long it takes you to walk home after a few to many due to having no money for a taxi! The only part that I don't really like the feel of is the heart rate monitor but it's not a massive issue and it's apparently a lot better than the old rubber one you get with the 305.

Conclusion

If you want to improve your running times or make running outside a bit more interesting and enjoyable then buy one of these! I think the only reason for you to buy the 310xt would be if your going to swim with it or don't want the battery to run out. I am personally glad I got this one over the 305 because I do sometime need the battery life and who knows I may decide to start swimming more soon as well. I also find that the wireless transfer to the computer is good as you do not need to plug it in atal and you will never forget to upload you data as it does it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Forerunner 310XT - Surely runners best friend?, 25 Feb 2011
Straight out of the box this thing rocks! Within 30 secs of turning it on I'd figured out the functionality and was locking onto my nearest satellite.

Previously I'd had the Polar RS300 (In it's own right as a HRM training tool it's been brilliant) and then the Garmin 305. The 305 introduced me to the idea of setting a pace and then being able to look at your run overlayed on Bing maps. But everything the 310 does is better and improved. Firstly it's quite noticeably smaller and fits better on your wrist. It's also fully waterproofed.

I ran my favourite 6 mile off road route and wore the 305 on one arm and the 310 on the other. It was around Winchester and mostly under trees. Weather was pretty typically grisly for Feb, overcast and raining!

Turning on both units at exactly the same time the 310 locked onto the satellite's much more quickly, not twice as quick but I'd say about 40 percent faster. Both recorded very similar distances, the 305 slightly longer (6.15m vs. 6.12m) But the real difference was when I compared the two routes on Garmin's brilliant "Garmin Connect" website. There's so much less averaging with the 310, with corners not flatted off and me running through buildings etc. I'm no techy but to the untrained eye I'd say the GPS sensor in the 310 looks like it auto-places way-points almost twice as many times as the 305. It even picked up a couple of times where on the return loop I was a bit more left on the path, where the 305 just showed me in the same place.

The wireless connection (via a little usb style stick called ANT+) is an example of elegant and simple software engineering. You simply have your computer on, plug the USB in, then turn the 310 on and it auto transfers your latest data to your account for you to analyze. That's it. Genius! This is where Garmins are light years ahead of Polar.

It's so easy to navigate round, so much better than the fiddly bezel what-sit's on the 405 that goes all funny when you get sweaty. Prices are coming down to.

My wife would argue that unless you need it to be fully waterproof (Or you are a triathlete who wants everything in one (You can get a cadence sensor and bike mount relatively inexpensively to) why spend another 80 on top of the brilliant Garmin Forerunner 110. But what does she know! This 310 is every runner's dream companion, I love it.

Any gripes from me? - Well it's early days so nothing so far. Being hyper hyper critical I wish one of the many screens showing performance when you're on the move (You get three, Virtual Partner, the main time, distance and HR and Pace) was simply the actual time and maybe the date. Yes ok everyone knows what day it is, but it's easy to get lost in the moment when you're pounding the streets and it'd be handy to see if you could squeeze in another couple of miles before you have to get back to get the dinner on!

Any gripes from my wife? - Only one colour scheme! Come on where's the light grey and pink Garmin!

Go and buy this watch it's a belter!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have, if budget is not an issue, 26 Aug 2011
Martins Ozolins "Ozo" (Riga, Latvia) - See all my reviews
I bought this item mainly due to running into battery problems with FR405, so I must admit I was a bit under pressure, when doing it, since I wanted a reliable gadget and fast. I read through the forums about the problems (soft HR strap making spikes ir HR measuring, easily breaking glass), but currently have not met those. Although I have used the gadget for a couple of weeks only I can provide short summary of key differences I see vs FR405 I used previously:

+Battery life: it is exceptional. During 3 weeks, I have used if for some 10hrs (swithced off when not used), it still shows ~50% charge. To compare - FR405 showed the same result after 3 days and 2hrs usage;
+No touch bezel: everyting 'touch' is annoying when you are in action. Nice to have sitting home/configuring stuff, but very annoying during exercise. 310xt is great with buttons.
+4 data fields on the screen: I totally like opportunity to have additional info.
+Multisport: if you frequently change from running to biking - nice to have special modes for that, do not have to reconfigure fields each time.

-design: it is still a bit bulky, and somehow does not sit that comfortable on hand as FR405;
-gps track: as I do orienteering with it and afterwards map my track with quickroute - I have noticed that it sometimes draws very strange track, which I know for sure I have not ran. I do not know what kind of error is that, and I do not care that much, but it is still strange.
-price: I got it for ~250GBP, which is better than it was priced before I guess, but still, the FR405 bought from USA was half price of this one and probably not half worse.
-garmin connect: when I first used it, there was an issue with garmin connect (had to transfer data manually through training center), but later it somehow fixed.
-firmware: still going with 3.20, since read a lot of bad stuff in forums about 3.70, waiting for something newer to come out.

So overall - if budget/design is not an issue, I believe this is an excellent tool for training and keeping data on your exercise. Regarding the glass - I ordered Zagg invisible shield. Haven't applied it yet, but I believe it should prevent damage to glass reasonably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit for trail runners, 10 Oct 2010
Not too big on the wrist (for men) and the amount of information which can be provided and how it should be dislayed should cater for everyone. The customisable alarms are useful and the vibration alarm works well too. Take time to let it locate satellites before you set off and you will be fine as doing that when you're out can somtimes be frustrating/time consuming. Charging is good/quick and the battery lasts well - I have only had one bad run recorded and the battery was low but not sure if this was the issue; otherwise the watch functions very well. I bought the 310xt over the older 305 (cheaper) as it is supposed to have better gps signal which is useful for me as I go off road and through dense forest a lot and it has no problem tracking me; waterproof too which gives me confidence when caught out in heavy rain or the shower when I get back! The 305 is water resistant and also works in some tree cover but I couldn't risk mine not to having the strongest signal available which I believe I have in the 310xt. Software/web site is good and export to Googe Earth is addictive - can also use the Training Centre software to upload courses and training to the watch which is again very useful for outdoor activities. I could go on more about the features but you can get that information elsewhere.

I use mine for cross country in dense woodland - I get muddy, sweaty, wet and stomp around a lot and so far have found the 310xt reliable, comfortable, informative and very useful in many ways - with more yet to check ot lke cadense etc. Highly recommended for running at least - not yet tried it on bike or swimming.

Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Sports Watch