5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended step up from old models
Having just bought the 405CX I found the lack of user reviews deeply frustrating. Having had the watch for 2 weeks I thought I would share my experience.
Published on 21 Jun 2009 by Diggy Dow

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent....when it works
I bought this in February as a birthday present. Previously my boyfriend had the Forerunner 50, but after returning it to Garmin three times due to various faults, decided to make the upgrade to the much more expensive 405CX.

Published on 14 Jun 2010 by Holzieb

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended step up from old models, 21 Jun 2009
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (Electronics)
I formerly owned a 305 and my big concern with the 405 was the reported difficulties in picking up satellites (as a result of the smaller design). Well the 405CX has certainly resolved these issues. I'm guessing the kit remembers where you tend to be because it catches a satellite even in areas that would have been a total no go with the 305 (like in the shadow of tall buildings). This morning's run got a satellite connection in 5 seconds (really!) Combine this high sensitivity with an ability to save locations and the GPS functions are better than ever. Other reported issues were the wet sensitivity of the bezel. Well it certainly works when wet hands touch it - although I've yet to go out in a downpour this bodes well for me. I tend to leave it on a single screen so changing the reading isn't likely to be that important.

Having been an enormous fan of the old model I bought this (more expensive) upgrade only when my old one was stolen. However having made the purchase I would recommend others to do the same - it really is a delight. The battery meter tells you specifically how much energy you have left so you're unlikely to be caught short - and the battery is certainly no weaker than the old model. At least now you can assess whether it needs 10 minutes charge before you go out - rather than the guessing game of the past.

Runners - you'll love it. The old model was the best bit of kit I'd ever bought - the 405CX is considerably better. A strong recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality sports watch with excellent features., 28 Aug 2009
As of Oct 2012 - I fear this watch has finally run its last run. It no longer charges consistently and often the screen goes blank with no warning. Maybe time to upgrade?!

As of Feb 2010 - continuing to use this at least 2-3 times a week and still rate it 5 stars! Tracking my stats online and keeping a record of routes, comparing heart rates and monitoring different sessions is a real motivator to me.

Original review - I write this having owned both Sunnto and Polar sports watches in the past. I've owned the Garmin 405CX for a month and used it both for running, circuits (outdoors) and in the gym. Overall I would highly recommend this piece of kit, it has exceptional features, excellent data capture and a great on-line (or PC based) inter-face to which you can download your data, analyse and share it. The bezel takes a little getting used to but no more so than an iPOD. The positives and negatives are as follows:

+VEs:
- Excellent in-built GPS that has no trouble locating satellites in urban and non-urban areas. It even has a track back function should you get lost! Doh!
- Good heart rate monitor (standard chest strap).
- Multiple data pages that you can customise to show multiple permutations of HR, pace/speed, distance, averages.
- Virtual training partner - a nice feature to help you train or run.
- It comes with both standard and velcro watch straps. I prefer the velcro.
- Garmin provide really good user videos on their website that talk you through the multiple features; a real benefit as I get bored reading manuals!

-VEs:
- I'm still getting used to having to charge the watch every few days but its no more inconvenient than charging my iPOD.
- I'm dubious about its water resistant qualities. A perfect watch would offer decent water resistance (up to 10M) but I'm just not sure how far to test this!
- A little more choice in colour would be nice.

All in all I would highly recommend this, if your into fitness training and you enjoy analysing data ( and sharing it) then this is the watch for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic watch and what a bargain, 30 Jan 2012
Note this review is the 405CX and not the 405. (basically the same watch but 405CX comes with a few extras - HRM and interchangeable wrist straps).

Had read mixed reviews about the 405 / 405CX but decided to take the plunge. I'll try to address those concerns and my experience if that helps anyone:

THE STRAP IS TOO BIG. Well I have an average size wrist and the strap is a perfect fit. It's also comfortable. That said the watch comes with two Velcro straps included, (small and large) so nobody should have need for complaint. Even comes with a tool and instructions on how to change strap (there's also a YouTube video from Garmin). What other manufacturer goes to that trouble to get a perfect fit?

THE BEZEL DOESN'T WORK WHEN WET. Well I've been out in several torrential downpours and no worries. Occasionally my sleeve would brush against the bezel and some unwanted screen would appear. Solution? all I do now is lock the screen whilst running. note: others say the bezel is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough? Do they know there's an option in settings where you can choose the sensitivity level? I think it works just fine.

DIFFICULTY OPERATING WATCH WHILST RUNNING. This criticism I cannot understand. The 405 comes with THREE individual screens, (each can be set to off). And each screen can display up to THREE data fields - so that's NINE data fields of information. In addition to this you can have a heart rate screen displayed (again with up to three data fields). And then there's the virtual partner info if you've set that to run. That's up to 13 pieces of info you have whilst running. And there are so much data to choose from, you could spend hours choosing your ideal readouts. You can also set the displays to scroll thru automatically at slow, medium or fast speed so in reality you only need to take your eyes off the road for a few seconds to see the info of your choice. I can't tell you how fantastic this is. Of course you could simply have one screen displayed with whatever info you want. The flexibility of this watch is amazing. So the question is why are these people trying to operate the watch whilst running? Other than turn on the light or press the large accessible stop/start or lap buttons, why does anyone have to operate the watch whilst running? I don't understand the problem.

SCREEN TOO SMALL, DATA DIFFICULT TO READ. Well if you're going for the full compliment of data readouts on a wrist watch and don't want something the size of the 205 or 305, that goes without saying. However there is a solution. Set each of the three screens to one data field and set the scroll speed to fast. Even Mr Magoo should be able to read that! (this is just one example of how flexible the 405 can be).

UPLOAD SPEED TO PC IS VERY SLOW. I downloaded all the latest software from Garmin's website before I even took delivery of the watch. First off you don't need to worry about leads, downloads to the PC happen automatically as soon as the watch is within range. I don't even need to take the thing off my wrist and the data is uploaded to the Garmin web. I've had to wait at most 30secs on the download to take place, and every transfer has worked flawlessly. Perhaps some people do have a faulty watch but I'd suggest the problem lies either with their software or simply that their PC is too slow.

IS THERE ANY DOWNSIDES WITH 405CX? Not really. The only thing to remember is you must read and understand the full online manual - even to the computer literate, operation of the 405 isn't intuitive, ou need to learn how to use the watch. (Using the 405 for the first time in a race, I'm sure would frustrate the hell out of you). Because the watch has so many functions, it may be a little daunting but once mastered it's fantastic and pretty easy to use. Set it up properly and everything works automatically.

THE GOOD? Well the software is pretty impressive and negates the need to keep a running diary. Satellites are quickly recognised, and GPS has proved super accurate thus far - I've had no worries running thru forest trails and loosing signal. And as mentioned above, although the 405 may or may not come with a heart rate monitor, the 405CX definitely does come with a HRM. I paid 125 via Amazon - what a bargain!

THE UNEXPECTED? One reason I went for the 405 was it's ability to program interval training on the watch itself. Setting up an interval session (time or distance based) is simple and one of the few intuitive functions that can be done without reaching for the manual. And it's pretty comprehensive. However using Garmin PC software, you can pre-program really awkward interval sessions, (sessions with constantly variable work and rest times), and download these to your watch. This was an added bonus, I never expected Garmin to put so much thought in to the watch. I'm sure this would suit professional as well as amateur athletes alike.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES: There is also the virtual partner function which really helps if you're unable to run with someone else - a great motivational tool as well as training assistant. Add to that you're able to upload/download courses. I ran a half marathon a few years back and we were pretty confused during the recce which country lanes to take given the organisers basic map. If I'd had this Garmin - no probs. I've actually downloaded that very course - the watch tells me which roads to take - brilliant!

And there's lots more... if you need to know just ask.

Apologies for the length of review but thought I'd address the concerns I had about the 405CX prior to purchase. In summary I think it's a brilliant GPS watch, it's much less bulky than the 205/305 and only a little bigger than the 410 the supersedes it. The 405CX is 125, the cheapest 410 with HRM I found was 200 which I believe offers nothing more in the way of functionality. To me it was a no brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually makes you faster.........., 2 Oct 2009
I have often thought I should run more without a watch and just enjoy the run. HOWEVER, I now have a new slavemaster to speed me up, so the thought of ever running without it has long gone! Switching to the virtual partner view spurs me on to get my pace back inside my pre set goal. It even tells you how far you are ahead or behind in distance from your set pace. Simple to use, with 34 variables to customise your display, this has it all. Plus, relive your torture on google earth when you download your runs. How steep was that hill? This will tell you. Awesome. I thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great training tool... well worth the money, 8 Aug 2009
Cameron Jones "just me" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This is really a great watch for anyone who loves to measure their progress or just learn more about their fitness.

The watch gives you the ability to modify three 3 different screens that allow you to view up to 3 different measures at once.. so you can have your heart rate, distance and pace. The second screen can have your heart rate zone line graph, running time, elevation. Every measure can be added or removed from these 3 screens.. brilliant...

The GPS is very accurate... it take a while to start up when you first go outdoors as it finds satellites. The bezel navigation is a little tough to get used to, but I think it is better than having to try and press buttons when you are running. I had some problems with the wireless USB stick and had to reinstall the software a few times... so hoping that does not happen again..

The watch is just great and you should definitely buy one if you are ummming and ahhring.

5.0 out of 5 stars From a beginner, 11 July 2009
Alison (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent product. I have just taken up jogging and it really is useful to motivate and guide. You don't have to be a super fit athlete to get maximum benefit out of it. It also has a bike mode. The heart rate monitor is non-intrusive. It fits comfortably on a lady's wrist and I like the look of it. The watch automatically downloads into my PC. The calorie counts are fun too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 23 July 2009
This watch is a little fiddly to begin with, I recommend keeping the manual to hand to begin with. The wireless heart-rate monitor is great and is hardly noticeable when wearing it. I had some problems sending my Activity Data to garminConnect, though I found out this was due to the software version of the ANT+ utility... ANT Agent version 221 works fine whereas version 225 doesn't. Seeing your activities played-out on Google Maps with relevant time/pace/heart rate/altitude is pretty amazing compared to writing down numbers in a diary. Altogether a great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent....when it works, 14 Jun 2010
Holzieb (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews

The watch is really easy to set up, and was quick to reconnect to Garmin connect (even on our Mac). The first few uses were great - really accurate GPS, calories burnt and elevation increase/decrease. It was also easily paired with his existing bike kit and gave excellent feedback on the watch and also Garmin connect.

A big downside however, is that I have now had to return the second 405CX watch back to Garmin because the backlight refuses to work. The first watch went back (only owned the watch for 4 months) because the bezel worked intermittently and the backlight was almost impossible to keep on. The replacement watch (which was a refurbishment rather than a new watch) didn't have a working backlight at all so has just been sent back again...third time lucky I hope!

All in all, the Garmin watches are great when they work, but from my experience they are extremely unreliable (the cheaper Forerunner 50 and the very expensive 405CX). Although Garmin customer support are extremely good at accepting the watches back for return (five times and counting), in my view they do not seem at all concerned or surprised that their units are faulty, and I believe I should not be in a position of having to return a 250 watch back for repair twice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Forerunner - great functions / poor battery life, 5 Oct 2009
C. Beamson (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this mainly for running.

The unit seems to have pretty much all the functionality wanted from it (though its taken a few weeks to pick up).

I'm lucky enough to have a duplex printer - which came in handy as there was no printed user manual with the unit.
I'm also used to GPS on a PDA with full colour United Kingdom 1:25K Ordinance Survey maps. I've had this sort of technology since the early noughties, so am surprised there is no mapping facility on the Forerunner (even very basic) on this unit out in 2009. I tend to run cross-country on routes I've never done before - it would be handy to have an idea of when I'm going off track. Having said that, the battery life is quite restrictive (3 or 4 hour long runs with me recharging it almost every other run). Perhaps mapping functionality would kill the battery life still further. On the plus side, there is some facility (as yet untried) to show a compass pointing the way to the end of your route.

Even with these downsides, it still does the main job for people in training - it tells you what pace you're maintaining, how far you've gone, heart rate stats, lets you run against an imaginary oponent and via download you can get various analytics information out of it. Personally, ticking off each mile and seeing how I'm faring with split times are the main use.

All-in-all, well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for running, 10 Jan 2010
Martin Greenhead "martinrg" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Unlike most people who get the Forerunner I am using this mainly for hiking (although I have run with it). I am training for the Oxfam 100km walks so this has come in handy to see my speed, distance etc, to judge how I am doing on various stages. The only downer(and I knew this when I bought it) is that it will only last for 7 hours of the actual walk, not the full 18-20 hours.

The watch itself is bulkier than a regular watch, but not too bad. I've walked today and am still wearing it while typing. It is ok to wear out as it isn't too obtrusive.

Set up takes a little while if you want to get the various training screen right. As other reviewers have said, prepare to use up some printer ink printing off the manual as it is vital you read it. When you are ready for a walk you'll probably need to recharge it, it is very annoying how quickly it runs out so charge it at all times.

Picking up satellites is fairly quick, although in areas like Canary Wharf the buildings obviously hinder GPS lock-ins and you get some funny results at times. In open spec like the South Downs it works very well, even in forest areas.

The information you get whilst out is fantastic, anything you want to know if there if you set it right, including heart rate if you wear the monitor. Uploading the data is great, especially being able to see your route on Google maps, it becomes a bit obsessive, which is probably the point as it makes walks/runs more interesting.

Overall, a pricey bit of kit but well worth the money if you use it regularly. Like others I just wish the battery life was longer (or you could hotswap the battery as you went along). And the bezel menu system can be frustrating, but you get used to it.

Highly recommended.