5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mouse
Build: 10/10
Reliability: 10/10

Published on 1 Nov. 2010 by James Abell

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse but 2 design flaws
I bought this to replace a wired Microsoft optical mouse that developed an intermittent fault after more than a decade of sterling service.

It is a lovely mouse to use, a nice weight, it slides smoothly and all the buttons EXCEPT for the scroll-wheel (middle button) click operate beautifully.

I use the middle button click extensively to open html...
Published on 28 April 2012 by R. D. Ellsmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mouse, 1 Nov. 2010
James Abell "JSDA" (UK, Midlands) - See all my reviews
Looks: 10/10
Build: 10/10
Reliability: 10/10

I have never had 1 single issue with this mouse. I ordered this mouse and the Microsoft wireless keyboard 3000 and both look great on my desk. I have never come accross any interference issues when using this and the battery has never even ran out on me after 6months, i have heard it can even last up to 13months maybe even longer on 2 AA Batteries. The mouse comes with 2 AA batteries, and they are not cheap batteries, they are Duracell. After unpacking the mouse, i just put in the 2 Duracell AA Batteries included, put in the USB stick in the USB port on my computer and it was working straight away, no software to install. However an installation disk is included if you want to tweak around abit. I have tested this mouse on many surfaces, such as Wood, Carpet, My bed covers, kitchen table and the mouse has worked 100% on all.

Very Good Product from Microsoft!

4.0 out of 5 stars A few issues but pretty good overall., 10 April 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
I really like the look and feel of this mouse and am happy with it. I have been using it with Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard for the last few weeks and it works fine with both.

There are a couple of things I'd have liked to have known before I bought it though:

- It does seem to work on most surfaces that I've tested it on (desks, duvets and my wife's head are all fine).
- It has a nice weight to it and the buttons are pretty good too.
- With the default setup, the scroll wheel doesn't work correctly in a lot of applications (including most games). I hunted around on the internet and found a solution for this which is to tell the IntelliMouse software that you actually own an "IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0". You can do this by opening the Mouse section in the Windows Control Panel and looking under the 'Buttons' tab. This seems to disable the sideways middle click on the mouse but I would never have used that anyway. I also set the middle click to actually be a middle click! I haven't had any problems since I made this change (Dragon Age:Origins, Supreme Commander and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 all work fine now).
- Once the mouse wheel is setup so it works (see above) I've found it has a nice feel to it.
- The way the mouse turns itself on and off is a little strange. The mouse is ALWAYS on unless you unplug the USB transceiver from your computer and plug it into the bottom of the mouse. This may be one reason to choose the Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000, which seems to be pretty much the same mouse but has an on/off switch on the bottom, instead. It does seem to go into a low power mode when it's not being used (the blue sensor light dims) and the advertised 8 month battery life must be accounting for the mouse being always on so this might not be such an issue, though the batteries might last a lot longer if you could easily turn it off.
- It doesn't glow blue around the bottom like in the pictures, but that would probably just be annoying anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mouse but 2 design flaws, 28 April 2012
R. D. Ellsmore "bobellsmore" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)

I use the middle button click extensively to open html links in a new tab but on this mouse the middle button is very heavy, so heavy that it is extremely difficult to press without scrolling up or down just a little bit. That little bit is sufficient to stop the link working. I never had this problem with the old mouse.

The second problem is switching the mouse off (it uses standard duracell batteries, not re-chargeables). It is designed to be switched off by unplugging the transceiver from the computer and "Simply snap in the transceiver for convenient on-the-go storage". Frankly, if I wanted convenient on-the-go storage, I would have bought one of the smaller, lighter, mobile mouses. The off switch is tiny and spring-loaded to the on position so I actually use a cut down rubber to switch it off. Why not provide a simple on/off switch? Even nicer, why not add a gravity switch - desktop users turn the mouse upside down to switch it off, mobile users snap in the transceiver.

If only one of these flaws would affect you, it is a 4 star mouse. If neither of them concern you, great - it's a 5 star mouse.

Update:
I've now been using this mouse for 2½ months. I'm still find the middle button a complete pain in the [inser 2:t your choice here] and the battery low started flickering this morning. And this is despite the mouse being switched off (as above) virtually every night and a lot of times during the day (i.e. whenever I remember!)

Update 2:
I've now been using this mouse for 2½ years now and am about to buy a second one to go with my wife's new (first) computer. The middle button is still a complete pain - my workaround is to re-program the right hand side button. Switching the mouse off as described above became just too much of a pain so - despite what I said above - I invested in re-chargeable batteries and stopped caring what the battery life is. I honestly couldn't say what it is now - more than a month, less than a year. I'm not aware of any warning that the battery is getting too low, it just stops working so I keep a pair of batteries fully charged ready to swap over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but some serious problems, 19 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
Having used the Wireless Mouse 5000 for a couple of weeks now I have a few observations. First, the good points. The mouse is well made, comfortable to use with either hand, and looks suitably businesslike. It installed instantly with Windows 7, and for the most part operates smoothly. It the BlueTrack technology does work well on a wide variety of surfaces, although unsurprisingly it doesn't work on clear glass if there's nothing underneath it.

Unfortunately I have also encountered a couple of problems. The range of the wireless connection seems to be very limited. I initially plugged the dongle into a USB port on the back of my PC, which is beside my desk no more than three feet from the mouse's usual position. Even at this short distance I found that the mouse pointer would frequently freeze for a second as it lost and regained connection. I plugged the dongle into a USB extension cable, enabling me to position it much closer to the mouse, and this seems to have solved the problem. Of course this may be a problem with radio interference, but even so I'd have expected better performance.

A more serious issue is the "smooth scroll" feature. This refused to work properly with several popular programs, including Fallout 3, the latest version of Mozilla Firefox and Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro. Even adding these titles to the list of programs in the mouse driver interface didn't help. The file browser in PSPP goes nuts if I try to scroll through files, jumping to the top of the window and then shaking rapidly up and down. Unfortunately there's no option to turn off the smooth scrolling feature, so there seems to be no real remedy for this problem. The only option is to turn the scroll sensitivity right down, which makes scrolling through long documents very tedious. Also, the smooth non-clicky scroll wheel itself is far too loose and sensitive, and documents frequently scroll up or down by a few lines even when nobody is touching the mouse.

In conclusion, I wish I'd bought a Logitech instead.

UPDATE: After a couple of month's use, the rubber tyre on the scroll wheel started to perish and became so loose and sticky that it became impossible to use, as well as extremely unpleasant to touch. I've binned it and bought a Logitech instead, which is much better and considerably cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 3 Sept. 2010
David Netherwood (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
A great mouse. The side buttons are a little fiddly, so occasionally you get the screen magnifier popping up. I've not had it long enough to know what the battery life is like. The usb wireless dongle is nice and small and clips in under the mouse when not in use, making it very portable and ideal for a lap-top.

It feels right, is very precise and even has a go at working on my shiny white table. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would have been pleased if I'd been sent the right item..., 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
Fortunately I already own two of these mice, so I can review the product. Unfortunately I was sent a much cheaper, smaller version than the one I had ordered and paid for. Nonetheless, the mouse itself is very user-friendly and feels good to use. The additional features of the 'back' button and the wheel (which is very smooth) are great and there is no need for a mouse mat. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good mouse, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
Nice wireless mouse. I've got large hands and it is comfortable to use. There are 2 buttons to use as short cuts but I've not found I use them (you can change what they do). The scroll wheel is nice and smooth. I've had it for a few months now and can't complain - it does what it says on the box... "Wireless mouse"

2.0 out of 5 stars It had potential but not good enough, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
This mouse is comfortable to use and the scroll wheel has just the right amount of smoothness and sensitivity. The Bluetrack feature works well, I have even used the mouse on someone's head and it worked fine. It's nice looking as well.
The Intellipoint software that comes with the mouse helps you to tweak the mouse's features to your exact liking.

Sometimes, I experience lag when I use this mouse. The only way I can get rid of the lag is to unplug the receiver and plug it in again. It is very annoying. Maybe I purchased a faulty mouse, I don't know.
The surface of the mouse where most people would rest their fingertips has a shiny plastic finish, and although it looks very stylish, it is a fingerprint and dust magnet.
The only way to switch this mouse off is to plug the USB receiver into the bottom of the mouse. If you don't do this, the mouse will continue to consume battery power even when your PC is turned off.

I have experienced another problem with this mouse- I cannot wake my PC from sleep mode with it connected. My PC stays asleep no matter how many times I try to wake it up, and the only thing I can to is to pull the power cable.

I initially liked this mouse but got sick of having to plug-in before turning off, that I switched it for a better, different brand. I don't think I'll be using this mouse again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice mouse, but..., 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
This is a nice mouse, feels comfortable to use, very responsive, looks nice...until you start using the scroll wheel.
Unfortunately this device is let down by a very poor soft-scroll wheel.
Even the most scroll-friendly applications can sometimes be a pain to scroll through. Sometimes it does not respond and you have to really move your finger quite a bit to get things moving.
The wheel also feels flimsy and it has these little plastic disks on the side that can really make it feel like its about to break.

I've used this mouse for about 2 months now and I'm afraid to say I feel let down by it and may even go back to my crappy old wired laser mouse...

Not recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless Mouse, 10 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000 (Accessory)
Needed new mouse after my Dell wireless packed up. This is a nice full sized mouse. Good to hold and really well made. Scroll wheel is a little too responsive, but you get used to it. You just need to set the vertical scrolling to it's slowest setting and turn off the acceleration option. It's a sturdy little thing and feels great in the hand. It's a really good buy.

Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000