on 26 January 2010
I'm 13 weeks and think this is a wonderful prenatal dvd. A lot of the Gaiam products are very well filmed and they take pride in the location / setting of their practices.

This one in particular is set in a very lovely studio and it has three variations for you to refer to during your pregnancy; Shiva Rea is in her first trimester, there's Beatrix in her second trimester showing you variations in the postures using a block, a strap and a blanket and then there's Poppy who's in her final trimester showing variation in the postures by using support from a chair, a block or blanket. This is a yoga dvd you could use throughout your pregnancy.

Shiva Rea mentions that if you are new to yoga that you start off doing just 15 minutes of this yoga dvd as often as you can to build your strength but to make sure you always finish with the relaxtion at the end of the practice. It is gentle enough to do if you have never done yoga as it shows you variations should you not be able to move into the posture easily.

It's a practice geared towards building strength and flexibility to help us in one of our most physically challenging moments of our lives.

I would definitely recommend this DVD to all mommy's to be... Enjoy!
on 28 August 2010
This was recommended to me by a friend saying: "It's really good - just ignore the hippy American lady!"
I've practised yoga off-and-on for several years and found this DVD to be just the right level - as I'm not the most flexible person I found I was already working at the level of some of the second trimester modifications before I got pregnant! But other videos I tried were too basic and didn't give much of a workout.

I think complete beginners may find this DVD slightly challenging, and recommend that you should go to a couple of classes before attempting yoga at home so you know you're doing the postures correctly.

But for people who've done some yoga before, I think it's excellent!
on 30 January 2014
About me: I am currently 8 months pregnant and have been using this dvd since around 12 weeks (although very cautiously at first). I have been to a number of yoga classes over the years but never attended consistently enough to progress beyond beginner level. I would definitely recommend it but I'd say it was good rather than excellent.

Pros:
-Three women at different stages of pregnancy all demonstrating at once so the workout can be tailored to your current trimester of pregnancy
-You can modify the poses to make them easier by following one of the women at a later stage of pregnancy so it is suitable for varying levels of flexibility
-Three 15 minute segments (warm up, standing poses, floor work) + relaxation. My favourite is the warm up which is great for loosening up in the morning and includes Kegel (pelvic floor) exercises. I often just do the warm up and the relaxation
-The music is not as annoying as some yoga DVDs
-There is no splash screen music, so if you want to continue in the relaxation for longer, you can

Cons:
-Mostly ok to follow but not suitable for someone who has never attended a yoga class as the instruction is not always detailed enough
-I find the breathing very slow and I don't feel that Shiva gives consistent enough instruction on how to link the breathing to the movements
-The guided relaxation is disappointing - ironically Shiva seems to rush through this bit. Consequently, I don't feel as chilled out and relaxed as I do with other routines
-You need a chair for some parts and also a block and a strap for the second trimester modifications
on 25 November 2011
I bought this DVD to complement the prenatal yoga lessons I'm taking in a studio once a week. The DVD overall is fine, it has a brief introduction and you have 3 instructors to follow depending on how far are you in pregnancy - although I must say this can be confusing at the beginning. Before start make sure you have 1) enough space in front of the TV so you can watch and do the moves comfortably 2) a yoga mat 3) a chair (one from the kitchen will do) 4) a yoga block (if you are in your 2nd trimester) 5) a yoga blanket (I don't have one, I just use a sofa throw or a big towel). The routine itself is OK but you will have to do it 2 or 3 times until you get used to the moves, I think is a little bit fast until you know what's coming next. The whole session lasts around 60min and then there is a relaxation which I found very basic and quite short. There is only one routine in the DVD and after following it several times you can get bored of it. Overall it's OK but I will never substitute my weekly studio sessions with this DVD!
on 5 October 2011
What I liked about this is that there are three women doing different exercises depending on which trimester you are in. This makes it easy to follow and adjust to what is comfortable and recommended. Having done yoga for a while I didn't feel this really gave me much of a workout but I imagine it would be ideal for beginners. There is also only one workout on the DVD so after a while it's pretty boring. Personally I found Tara Lee's Pregnancy Health much more enjoyable with different workouts on the same DVD so also much better value.
on 8 February 2010
I have been practicing yoga many years now and this prenatal yoga video has a great flow and I love it! Shiva Rea is using real pregnant woman in different period of their pregnancy and she has modified the exersices depending their trimester so mums that are not as experienced in yoga can actually do it and feel really great after it!
It has a massage section as well which is lovely! Ask your partner to view it and apply it to you afterwards!
You deserve it... ;-)
on 4 February 2010
I made the mistake of purchasing this dvd in my third trimester. I believe it is more beneficial to women who are earlier on in their pregnancy. I found it a bit disappointing that I had to spend most of the workout sitting on a chair. I would have benefited from it better had I started it once I fell pregnant. It's nice and relaxing to use it for the latter stages of pregnancy but it's not a full yoga workout.
on 13 May 2010
I think I have an earlier edition of this DVD as the cover looks different but Shiva Rea is a fantastic yoga instructor. Before I was pregnant I had her yoga CD which was great so I looked to see if she had made a pregnancy yoga dvd. I've been doing this since I first found out I was pregnant and it's been fantastic, I've had a nagging back throughout due to an old injury and just doing the first section of the DVD every day (it's only 15 minutes) has really helped relieve the strain and helped me sleep. As it's broken into sections you can just do smaller amounts or join a few sections together. There are modifications as you move through pregnancy but I've found I haven't actually used many of the third trimester ones, still being able to perform the basic moves. I would highly recommend this DVD. I've just bought her post-natal one and can't wait to get started!
on 15 July 2014
Good for complete beginner. Clear instruction given, split into a gentle warm up section, floor work (15 mins) standing poses (15 mins) and a short guided relaxation at the end. There is also pregnancy massage but I haven't watched that part yet. The whole routine is performed by 3 ladies at different stages of pregnancy so you can follow whichever stage you are at as the ladies modify the poses slightly for each trimester (I was worried that starting at 20 weeks I'd missed a section for trimester 1 but that isn't the case at all, it can be followed in full whichever stage you are at). It's helping me loosen my stiff back and I feel great after completing it. I'm a yoga convert thanks to this CD and will continue to use up until birth.
on 4 July 2010
Felt surprisingly energised after this yoga workout. I'm 25 weeks preg. and haven't pracitsed yoga for 2 years. At first I found just sitting cross-legged on the floor uncomfortable, but after just my 3rd session I found it much easier. After 3 weeks I find I'm making fast progress & can complete the entire routine, with difficulty in some parts. It would have been nice to know this isn't really suitable for complete beginners. Shiva does adapt this for various stages of pregnancy, and it's good to have someone to follow. I've gone from being tired all the time, to having a few hours worth of energy each day. Very pleased with this buy.