4.0 out of 5 stars 95% brilliant - spoilt by the ending
Published on 7 April 2009 by Dr Evil

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ... but let your brain have the night off
Let start by saying I did enjoy this film, it is well paced but doesn't boast the best storyline or script writing in the history of film.

This combined with Nicolas Cage's stilted acting style leads to a film that will often lose the attention of the average sci-fi fan and will lose most peoples quite quickly into the film.

I fall in to the former...
Published on 23 Aug 2009 by Spudola

4.0 out of 5 stars 95% brilliant - spoilt by the ending, 7 April 2009
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Knowing [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
`Knowing' begins in 1959 when an elementary school is celebrating its open by burying a time capsule containing the students' drawings of their thoughts of what the future will look like when its opened again in 50 years time. Instead of doing a drawing, one young girl named Lucinda writes down a series of seemingly random numbers. 50 years later, the time capsule is opened and the drawings are given to the students. A boy named Caleb gets the page containing Lucinda's numbers. His father Jon (Nicolas Cage) is a professor of astrophysics and one night he notices that one of the number sequence is the date of the 9/11 attacks and it's death toll. After spending the night looking into this with the help of the internet, Jon realises that the numbers are all dates and death tolls of major disasters over the past 50 years. However there are 3 dates that are yet to come.

I've been looking forward to seeing this film for absolutely ages and I finally got to see it at the weekend and I would of loved to be writing this review now saying that it was amazing but the last 5 minutes completely let this down. Literally 95% of this film is absolutely perfect, it has everything - mystery, suspense, horror, action. The disaster sequences were some of the most impressive and shocking scenes I've seen in this type of film, the supernatural elements of it were very chilling and quite scary at times, the storyline was very good for a majority of the film with some really good ideas, the acting was excellent especially from Cage who plays his part very believably, it was just the last 5 minutes of the film that ruined this for me. I'm not going to spoil it and say what happened but when I was watching this part I actually thought to myself "are they serious!?" as it is just so ridiculous - people in the cinema were actually laughing!

As well as the bad ending there are a lot of plot holes too but is so exciting and suspenseful that this won't matter. If you like films such as Signs, War of the Worlds, The Happening and The Day After Tomorrow, you will more than likely love this. Personally I thought it was great but if I watched it again (which I will), I may have to switch off before the end as it really did spoil it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best blu-ray movies, 12 Sep 2009
This review is from: Knowing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Before I purchased this movie I read some of the reviews and they almost put me off, but having now taken the plunge and watched the movie I have to say that I think it was great.

I enjoyed it from the very start and I wasn't disapointed with the ending like some others. The quality of the picture and the sound are amazing, one scene in particular actually dislodged some of my china plates in my display cabinet (luckily none broke), if you want a movie to demonstrate your surround system this is a must.

I'm no Barry Norman so I dont go into detail about movies and give the plot away, I just say what I think with my honest opinion, I want to be entertained and am not bothered about what is plausible, this film will be watched again very soon when my friends come round for the evening.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ... but let your brain have the night off, 23 Aug 2009
Spudola "Al" (Midlands (UK)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Knowing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)

I fall in to the former category and found that at times sequences seemed to have little bearing on the film and could quite easily have been cut with no overall detriment. However I felt most of them were designed to give insights to the characters and help you connect and feel for them for the disaster ending of the film that gradually becomes clear.

The problem is as I mentioned the choice of Cage for the lead role is OK as a scientist looking and deciphering a code but as a feeling person wrestling with the loss of his wife and bringing up his child alone it doesn't work.

Fundamentally this leaves what was intended to be a heart rending finalle as a flat CGI fest.

However somehow as a whole the film manages to be decently entertaining and the presentation on Blu-Ray is of more than acceptable quality, although the sound balance for a home cinema system when you care about disturbing your neighbours isn't good as its too quiet to hear the dialogue then too loud at the action sequences - resulting in the remote being to hand constantly.

In the end a decent film, premise and plot that isn't underpinned well by scripting, editing or casting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Knowing [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This DVD is worth watching I got this for my Mother she's into Nicolas Cage ( at 83 ) Bless her ....

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than Expected., 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Knowing [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I can't quite understand the negative reviews this film gets,i bought it anyway cos the theme interested me and i have to say that it is a thoroughly decent film.
I am by no means a fan of Nicholas Cage but he does nothing to spoil the film whatsoever,one reviewer even went on to mention the probability of this and the probability of that being far fetched,it's a sodding film!!,made for entertaining people and NOT for idiots who want to dissect every part of it.
It's a film i expected being average due to the spectrum of reviews but it is definately worth a 4 out of 5. I'd say if you like anything to do with time capsules being buried and years later dug up or end of the world type films then you would certainly enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Test your surround equipment!, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: Knowing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
I really like this film. Ok the ending could have been improved but it's not that bad. Lots of films have much worse endings but few have the sound that this movie has. If you want a good entertaining movie, well made, good story line, great special effects and a top demonstration disc for showing off your cinema sound then ignore all the negative reviews here and buy it, you wont be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly enjoyable sci-fi, mystery, end-of-world disaster film, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Knowing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
I hesitated a very long time before buying this film, having seen some poor-to-average reviews of it. But I shouldn't have - it was enjoyable!

Many reviews complain about the weak second half and ending of the film, but we enjoyed it the whole way through.

While I'm no fan at all of actor Nicolas Cage, I do really like director Alex Proyas, and he's done a good job with this!

If you like the genres of sci-fi, mystery or end-of-world disasters, then this could be for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars A quite decent thing, beginning as a thriller, continuing as a horror and ending as, well, something VERY different..., 23 May 2012
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Knowing [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
To my surprise, I actually liked this film, although it may have been because of my low expectations, as I remembered the disaster which was "Next", another Nicholas Cage film on a vaguely similar theme.

In this film everything is about surprises so avoiding spoilers is really crucial. Let it be said then only, that the film begins with a professor of astrophysics named Jonathan Koestler (Nicholas Cage) getting his hands on a document which was written 50 years ago by a freaky (and probably mentally unbalanced) little girl named Lucinda Embry. The document is just a page of seemingly random numbers - however Koestler decides to consider it as a mathematic riddle and tries to solve it. And he succeeds - to his considerable annoyance...

What follows is a quite skillfull investigation thriller, with Koestler looking for more information about Lucinda Embry. But soon things get much, much more complicated and the film turns in fact into a kind of modern horror, with an atmosphere sometimes reminding of the old "Omen" or the more recent "Ring" movies. And then arrives the third part, which takes us into a direction which I for one completely didn't expect. And it gets REALLY scary at that moment! And please believe me, you will never again think of number "33" without a little bit of unease...

I admit that I may have liked this film a little more than it deserves, because I genuinely like to watch Nicholas Cage, even in his worst movies (of which this one is definitely not) and here he has a role in which he can actually show his talent. Rose Byrne, who plays the... well, main female part, is also excellent. There are also two younger characters, children Caleb and Abby, who gradually become more and more important for the film - the young actors Chandler Canterbury and Lara Robinson who play them give a great show and add a very emotional and dramatic touch to the plot.

So all in all, although not exactly a masterpiece, this film is a very pleasant little surprise. Mixing thriller, horror and... well, other stuff, it can offer a very satisfying "Film on DVD" evening. Be however warned, that like in most good "thriller/horror/other stuff" films, the ending can be a little upsetting. Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars decent, 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: Knowing [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Slow beginning, then it built and built to total non-stop and finally an awful cringe-worthy ending... But Cage as usual brought his best and made me sympathize with him despite his really bad haircut(just kidding). The movie had one great plane crash scene(all in one take!) which was worth the price for admission. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves it!, 3 Mar 2012
Mrs. C. E. Rush "Crusher" (Herts. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knowing [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I bought this as a present for my 12 yr daughter. She'd wanted it for ages. She says it's the best thing ever!

ARRAY(0xa1306780)

Knowing [DVD] [2009]
Knowing [DVD] [2009] by Alex Proyas (DVD - 2009)
4.21