5.0 out of 5 stars Music review
I rarely have cause to review an album but felt the need to on two counts:
Published on 21 April 2009 by Mr. R. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite nice with limited halflife
Quite nice songs especially ofcourse 'Going home', but after some time Jon's voice starts to irritate me slightly.
Published on 8 Oct. 2009 by Ruigi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Music review, 21 April 2009
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (MP3 Download)
I rarely have cause to review an album but felt the need to on two counts:
1. This is a very good album, a varied album imaginative lyrics pleasant and sometimes dark themes. Its good, better than anything James Morrision has thrown at the listener, it has elements of Stewart but I think some of these songs are more complex than old Rod's. Its well worth it and to download it for under a fiver cant be grumbled at - which brings me onto point 2.
2. I think it a bit mean of a fellow reviewer to "down" the review simply because the cd version has 2 more tracks. The cd is also twice the price and not available yet - Amazon have done me a favour, getting to listen to this early and for half the price of the cd. I think the music should be the point of review not the retailler.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Accomplished Debut, 5 Jun. 2009
Og Oggilby "Og Oggilby" (North London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
Jon Allen is another graduate of one of those 'rock schools', I gather, and although that's normally enough for me to reach for the revolver, 'Dead Man's Suit' is actually a very fine, relatively low-key, but nonetheless very accomplished debut album. 'In Your Light' was on the Radio 2 playlist, and its melodic appeal was not diminshed by hefty airplay. The Good News is that it wasn't a one-off; this album is littered with similarly well-crafted and tuneful gems, with something of an early 70s Brit singer-songwriter vibe that is greatly appealling. Nice sleeve, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first album!, 18 Jun. 2009
Ruth Sharville (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
Jon Allen has been doing the live gig circuit for some time now, and this album has been eagerly awaited by his fans. They should not feel disappointed. Jon has produced a collection of original and varied songs which show off his skill both as a lyric writer and a tunesmith, not to mention his multi-instrumental skills. The title track, "Dead Man's Suit" stood out for me as the most unusual and original number, but other songs get under the skin on repeated playing. "Going Home" (from the Land Rover ad) to me is a quiet classic, showing Jon not afraid to let the words, the melody, the guitar and his own slightly gravelly voice do all the work. No clever arrangements needed here. One or two of the songs have a few musical cliches, but you can argue that this is what makes them accessible and able to bear repeated listening. I have no hesitation in recommending this album. As has been said on BBC Radio 2 by critics far wiser than I, "This is an accomplished debut".

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb debut, 4 Feb. 2010
Mr. Terry Benfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
This is quite simply a superb debut album from an intelligent, talented and highly listenable young man. Yes comparisons are made to a certain Mr.Stewart but Jon has crafted a little niche of his own here and this album would quite happily be played in 10, 20, 30 years time and still sound as good as ever. Without babbling on about technicalities and favourite tracks (the whole set is strong throughout) just buy, listen and enjoy. Incidentally I bought the CD at a live gig that he performed in late '09. I would happily pay the extra few quid when you see the quality of the performer live; hear the well crafted lyrics and the great musicianship - for the idiot to downgrade a rating and gripe at the fewer tracks because he purchased from a download - simple - buy the album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, uncomplicated and great tunes, 6 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dead Mans Suit (MP3 Download)
Dead Mans Suit
I've never written a review for an album before...I just HAD to for this one, because anyone that has the opportunity to buy it and doesn't will miss a real treat.
This album made me want to pick up my guitar and reform the band!
Every track has terrific lyrics, and once you've played it a few times and managed to get over the excitement of the great tunes, and have time to listen to the lyrics in isolation, you appreciate what a terrific song-writer, vocalist and musician jon Allen is.
The title track opens the album and the intro makes your foot twitch straight away. A great hook runs through the chorus, and the swelling organ solo at the end lends itself to turning the volume up!
Track 2 (living in Your Light) is a simple love song, and once again the simplicity of the song is what makes it attractive. A real 70's feel to the arrangement and the solo work...a sort of combination of early Rod Stewart (won't use that again but had to be said once!)and early Elton John.
Track 3...Going Home...played to death as used on an ad...but OK.
Trach 4...my personal favorite...Down To The River. Was this a single? Should have been! Makes me think of a simpler, more innocent time. Another great hook, and recorded in such a way that you know it was done live...probably in one take!
Sleeping Soul is the next track and this is a pretty tune, with some terrific guitar work and some lovely string quartet backing.
Track 6...Happy Now. This one grew on me...and at one point I thought Dave Gilmour was going to pop up and solo, so "Floydian" was the keyboard work behind the fantastic rhythm section. Once again I yearned to be playing this track on stage, and Jon Allen's voice fits just perfectly in the space between the instruments.
Take Me To heart is another one that could have been written by John/Taupin in the 70's...or James Taylor (yes it's that good!). Brilliant lyrics and a melody that sometimes goes just where you want it to and at other times takes you to unexpected places that make you smile with delight.
Lay your Burden Down...a story-tellers song. Should be listened to in the garden at the end of the evening as the sun goes down. Simply beautiful.
Track 9 is OK...not my favorite...feels slightly out of place.
New Years Eve tells the story of the one that got away, of missed opportunities.
Bad Penny is a brilliant "going out tonight" song. Elements of country, Southern Rock, R&B and as ever, that voice doing just enough to make you want to hear more of it. I'd love to hear this one live!
The final track is Friends, and the lyrics will appeal to anyone who has said (or heard!) those immortal words "we can still be friends can't we?" "Friends we never were babe, and friends we never will be". There's a real Dylan feel to this because of the harmonica solo.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE this!, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
Heard a track on the radio late one night, and Shazam kindly informed me it was some bloke called Jon Allan.
Downloaded the track and loved it all the more after repeat plays.
Ended up downloading both his albums for a tenner... and probably the best musical investment I have made!
David Gray, James Morrison et all... move over... this is what you were aspiring to!!!
Beautiful debut album that I have on repeat play and listen to with a smile on my face and in my heart!
Variety of sounds, styles and vocals that make it a compelling listen... but every track is wonderful in its own right.
Just buy it... you can thank me later! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, well worth a listen, 17 Aug. 2010
C. P. Whiting "G Moonwalker" (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
I was fortunate enough to see Jon Allen live at a recent music festival (Gig In The Park 2010 - Halesworth, Suffolk). His performance and songs impressed me enough to purchase his album and I'm glad I did.

The songs are excellent and the album is well produced.

His sound is similar to Paolo Nutini with a hint of Stereophonics and James Morrison. He may not be as successful as these artists, but is every bit as talented. This is a great album that start as strong as it finishes.

The title track "Dead Man's Suit" really sets the tone for the album, which concludes with the beautiful acoustic track "Friends".

I definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant debut album, 17 Sept. 2009
F. Rowe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
I haven't been drawn to write an Amazon review before, but I think this is such a great album that it truly deserves it.
There are hints of Rod Stewart and faint influences of many other great artists, but Jon really does have his own style. For a young singer/songwriter/musician this is a terrific debut album, with some superb songs, including rock, ballads and blues. The singles "In your Light" and "Down By The River" got considerable airplay on Radio 2 (and rightly so).
We also caught Jon live, by chance, at a small venue in Bath and his solo performance was mesmerising.
You won't be disappointed. I'm just looking forward to the next album...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
Fantastic debut album from a very talented young man. Not a bad track on this album that contains a very varied array of music from rocking numbers to quiet thoughtful songs. Could Jon Allen become a household name or at least a known artist in the near future - time alone will tell but this is ceratinly a great first effort album. Would definately recommend anyone who likes true music to give a listen and I am sure you will both buy and enjoy it and rate it as one best albums of the last 12 months. A 5 Star must.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Dead Man's Suit (Audio CD)
One of the most played albums on my MP3 player at the moment and I have a lot of albums on there! His sound is folksy which I don't often go for...more of a rock music person usually... but he makes it a very pleasant listening experience and I play Happy Now over and over...it puts you in a good mood. There are quite a few really good tracks though. Bought the album after listening to the artist play in France recently. He is well worth hearing/seeing. Will look out for his next album.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dead Man's Suit
Dead Man's Suit by Jon Allen (Audio CD - 2009)