5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 3 Oct 2000
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
I first heard "Shimmer" on my friends Dawson's Creek cd, and thought "Wow". I also remembered his hit "Lullaby", and decided to buy the album. I was a bit surprised by the style of the first song, "Anchored in You" but by the end of this cd, I can honestly say that he is my favourite singer/songwriter. He has so much talent and I'm sure he could go far, given the chance. I totally recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laid back music for the soul, 23 Jan 2003
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
I first heard this album in Colorado, I had of course heard lullaby on the radio and due to overkill on the radio stations part found it a particularly annoying song, however when you hear in in context with the rest of the album it regains the credit it deserves. Lullaby is not the best song on the album, Twin Rocks, Oregan has to be my favourite, with Tanning Bed Song and Sunday Morning Coming Down. I suggest you buy this album, get some gear and just chill....it's amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture a porch a sunset and Shawn, 15 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
Possibly the most annoying song in the history of music. 'Lullaby' truly launched Shawn Mullins into the mainstream public eye. This album deserves more than the rememberence of 'that' song. This album is a gem. A moody work that just smacks of summer. Cast off the expectations of melodic soft rock songs and instead think poetry to music with perfect chorus to boot. Shawn's honesty and obvious life experience all lend a hand for him to create an album of stories rather than just songs. Stand out track for me is definately Twin Rocks Oregon the crescendo at the end is...well....glorious. An album to drink, smoke and smile with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely first class..., 23 Aug 2006
Ms. E. C. Dinsdale (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say?!This album is a masterpiece-its amazing! Shawn Mullins is such a clever artist and writes with such sincerity. The songs on this album are fantastic and range from being quite upbeat to the more slower ballards and the lyrics to every song are wonderful. The first song I heard off of this album was 'Lullaby' and I was very impressed-I liked the way the song was mixed between Shawn talking and then singing through the chorus. And then I heard 'Shimmer' on the Dawson's Creek album and that confirmed my liking for him-and I also noticed that he has such a fantastic voice; how can you not like a song with lyrics like: "He's born to shimmer, he's born to shine, he's born to radiate, he's born to live' he's born to love, but we will teach him how to hate"?!!!

Most of the songs on the album are like stories being told through songs and music, which I think is just so refreshing. I think the best songs on the album are 'Anchored In You' ("I am in motion, I am blue, love is an ocean, Im anchored in you"), 'The Gulf of Mexico' ("And I hear a voice from my soul's core sayin' 'freedoms just a metaphore, you got nowhere to go', and the rain pours down like a holy waterfall, over the Gulf of Mexico"), 'Twin Rocks, Oregon' ("I pulled up here to watch the sun, disappear into the ocean, cos its been years since I smelt the salty sea"), 'Soul Child' ("Like fallin' rain, the days go by, you can't kill the pain, and you wonder why") and 'Shimmer' as I mentionned before. But all of the songs are amazing!!

Well, I hope that just reading some of the amazing lyrics that this man can write will help you to decide to buy this album- and the price on Amazon is so [inexpensive] compared to other places, that you really can't go wrong!It is the perfect album to listen to-especially in the summer or if you are on a long road trip and you need something to chill out to! Take my word for it, if you buy this album, you will not be disappointed-this man is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an album you must own!!, 29 Jun 2001
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
If you like your music simplistic,then this album is undoubtedly for you.From the the stunning opening track, "Anchored in you" right through to the inspiring "Shimmer", Mullins has crafted an album of rare beauty.Every song tells a story,and every song is a masterpiece!The power of this album lies in Mullins acoustic guitar and his gravelly,hypnotic voice.Standout tracks;"Twin rocks, Oregon" which tells the story of an older version of Mullins himself and "And On A Rainy Night" which is just mindblowing.Listen to this when you've had a smoke and just kick back and enjoy Mullins unique storytelling.Marvellous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
Very nice soulful voice. You can listen to it and be transported to wherever your hearts desire. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great new find, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Soul's Core (Audio CD)
I had never heard of this artist before but I'm so glad to have discovered him .This is soulful bluesy rocky music that talks about about some painful realities in life like betrayal ,exclusion and being poor.Does what a musician is supposed to do and bears his soul .

Soul's Core