5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, gripping . . .
Published on 29 Mar. 2007 by Lance Richardson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
While acknowledging the craftmanship of Prof. Fagles in translating those classics there are some problems with his "contemporary" english. Classical apoplexy nearly struck me down when i read Oedipus calling Tiresias "a scheming quack"...Useful but once read move on to a more elegant translation.
Published on 31 Aug. 2009 by Fmg Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, gripping . . ., 29 Mar. 2007
Lance Richardson (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I had read - and dismissed - Antigone in high school. Like many of the books I dismissed in my adolescence, it's actually heartbreakingly brilliant. Fagles' translation is beautiful and moving, contemporizing the language without destroying meaning or stretching plausibility to cater for short-attention spans. I found myself circling passages and it's not even part of my University reading list this semester. Reading something like these plays really reminds you how absolutely desolate Hollywood and Theatreland have become these days - almost nothing compares with Sophocles, and even the best of modern literature owes so much to the ancient masters that reading them inevitably changes the way you read everything else. Who can blame Freud for feeling so inspired?

As for Bernard Knox's introductions, I found they ellucidated the subtle nuances of the plays and enriched my reading experience, all while being riveting reads on their own. Perhaps even worth the price of the book alone, particularly the one introducing Oedipus the King.

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read Oedipus once in your life!, 26 July 2006
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A seminal work of both literature and theatre, Oedipus still haunts us. Academics argue still over the 'meaning' of Oedipus: is he guilty? is he simply blind? what's the truth of the relationship between him and his mother Jocasta? If we could ever answer all these questions the play would lose its power and drop out of the canon. Read it in this excellent translation and make up your own mind.

Antigone has been reinterpreted repeatedly: as a feminist play, as a play about political oppression, as a play about a dysfunctional family. Antigone may be a difficult character to sympathise with or understand, but the poetry of the drama excels even that of Oedipus (especially the eerie, haunting 'hymn to Dionysus').

More human than Aeschylus, more stately than Euripides, the greatest tragedy is that only seven of Sophocles plays have come donw to us, and these 2 are the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic and harrowing, 23 Mar. 2005
Graham Watson (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
Many readers would dismiss classical literature as staid and impenetrable. They couldn't be more wrong and this translation of the Theban Plays proves it. The powerful story of the destruction of a family is told with incredible pace and verve: Oedipus lacks awareness but longs for it and faces the blistering consequences of his straight questions; he and his daughter Antigone are reduced to homelessness and poverty; Antigone, alone eventually, is criminalized for her refusal to compromise to state law. These dramas of individuals facing the often irreversible consequences of their uncompromising actions will always be relevant. This touching, powerful translation in contemporary English is the most accessible to new readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant plays., 11 April 2013
I'd never really got into Greek tragedy until A2 Level, but these three and great. The translation is very readable and the introduction very informative. Well worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... some time to arrive but the book is in perfect condition, looks brand new, 18 Sept. 2014
Lucie (London, England) - See all my reviews
Took quite some time to arrive but the book is in perfect condition, looks brand new, and is perfect for use at A2 level classical civilisations - very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest plays by any ancient author, 4 April 2001
By A Customer
These three plays are the best you'll come across. The finest tragedies ever written.They are also quite controversial for todays standards with some complex inbreeding.A must for anyone of any age. If you know nothing about the Ancient world you'll see it for the controversy, and if you know all about the ancient world you'll know that it surpasses any other work by any other author

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 13 Aug. 2013
Far better condition than I expected of a second-hand book. Delighted as we were studying it in our U3A class.KGM

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collection!, 21 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
I'm studying two of the plays from this book and I find them facinating. They've lost none of their impact over the centuries, and are very accessible to the casual reader. This is my prefered translation, and I can't wait to read the third play!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct. 2014
Extremely interesting and arresting stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars would recommend, 27 Nov. 2014