5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have (that will surely become a classic?)
Compared to Melody Gardot's fine live performances, were you disappointed by her 1st album - a potentially great voice accompanying derivative join-the-dots jazz/blues; all very gratifying & competent but it never quite hit the spot?

Be prepared to be very pleasantly surprised by this 2nd album, which, IMHO, confirms that a great talent has truly arrived...
Published on 18 Mar 2009 by 6th.replicant

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Vinyl version on Verve / UCJ
Published 16 months ago by DJ Mike-Norway.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have (that will surely become a classic?), 18 Mar 2009
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)

Her vocal-style is still 'cool jazz diva', but her voice now has greater authority, charm & emotion - but never sounds contrived - with diction & phrasing that compares with the very best.

There's also some great playing (includes MG on guitar & piano) & very skillful arranging, which effortlessly & elegantly adds drama & accent to MG's vocals. Don't forget, she also writes her own material - Somewhere Over The Rainbow, aside. (Nicely recorded/mixed etc, too.)

Initially tried to play this CD as background music while working at my computer. Hopeless! Repeatedly had to stop work to listen to the music.

Exquisite, & also rather cool. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good As Good Gets, 20 Mar 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)
OK, let's get this straight. Right here, right now. No messing.

This is one of the best albums you will be likely to hear this year.
(.....or next year, or in the coming decade, come to that).

'My One and Only Thrill' is the real deal.

Universal/Verve have thrown a whole lot of moolah at this production and
Ms Gardot hasn't wasted a cent. Gold begets gold here in every way.

As if this brave young woman's voice were not enough, Mr Klein's
loving and masterful production, Mr Prendergast's exquisite musical
direction and Mr Mendoza's phenomenal string arrangements raise
the twelve songs in this collection to heights rarely achievable in any
composer/performer's career.

The voice. Oh my, my, what a voice we have on show here!

Warm, dark, expressive, playful. An utterly gorgeous instrument.

The writing is steadfastly and consistently inspired. Many of these songs
could have been written at any time during the past half-century but
never for a moment are they anachronistic or derivative.
They burst into our world fresh and fully formed, crammed with subtle
and elusive musical ideas.

The gentle gospel soul of 'Who Will Comfort Me' and the sublime slow
blues of 'Your Heart Is As Black As Night' display a completely assured
grasp of both genres.

'Our Love Is Easy' is a blissful threnody, brimful of whistful passion.

'My One and Only Thrill' is a fragile masterwork whose heartrending melody
and haunting orchestration could not fail to bring hope and affirmation
to anyone who has ever had even the smallest experience of true love.

The quirky lilting latin rhythm of 'Les Etoiles', with its' delightful
vocal extemporisations, is a thing of pure joy.

So too Ms Gardot's idiosyncratic take on 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'
which successfully shines a bright new light on an old warhorse.

For one who stumbled upon her accidently this album is a revelation.

I dare you, too, not to be bewitched.

Essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare talent, 17 Mar 2009
DLD Woods (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)
Melody's music is something special - her voice, her style, her wonderful melodies and lyrics, and the understated genius of her songs combine to make music that you can happily listen to forever.

Her previous album was excellent, but this one is outstanding, every track a gem. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-Maze-Zing, 9 July 2010
I heard Melody Gardot first on Jazz Fm and was drawn by her perfect phrasing. How anyone can compare her to Norah is beyond me - Melody surpasses most of her peers with her own songs, beautiful arrangements and amazing mellow voice.
This CD is perfect for chilled evenings either with friends or someone special. Her voice is unique, her words are so true. Having heard her live this album shows a insight to the warmth, emotion and passion she brings to each song. When you listen to some of the songs like "One and Only thrill", and "Deep within the corners of my mind" I challenge you not to feel some emotion, a tug on your heart. The bonus CD is good for "Love me like a river does" which is on worrisome heart her earlier album. I believe that this CD is years to come will be known as a classic. If you do not have this album you are truly missing out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Vinyl version on Verve / UCJ, 24 Aug 2013
I bought the CD cersion of this album when it was released in 2009. This year (2013), with the big movement towards "back to vinyl", I bought the vinyl version on Verve / UCJ hoping for the same great recording quality that this album has, but via my top notch vinyl player system. What a disapointment. The record surface was just like many of the old Americam LP`s that came in thick paper sleeves making surface scratch / skuff marks. The record sounded like it had been played a 1000times on a really crap player or with too much weight. The background noise and clicks followed through the whole album, both sides and at relatively high level compared to the recording itself. I took the album back to the store and had to wait 3 weeks for a new one to come in. The new one looked quite good regarding the surface of the vinyl, but the background noise was just as bad, maybe worse. I have returned this one as well and have given up on the vinyl version, and will now just listen to the CD version, which is brilliant.
I find it very strange that such a well produced album could be allowed to be sold in such a bad state on vinyl. Why is there such a big quality difference between vinyl albums. I have had similar problems with Vinyl albums from Eva Cassidy,Amy Winehouse to mention a few. All basically good recordings, but rubbish pressings on vinyl. I have LP`s fron the sixties on RCA,Polydor, Pablo, Verve, Storyville,Warners etc, that sound as good today as they did when new. Vinyl today should be perfect, especially when it is being sold at full price. My advise is to always take back bad pressings. It would not be accepted with a bad copy of a CD. If the vinyl recording that is bad is not returned, then there will be no betterment from the pressing facilities / record companies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic!!!, 25 Mar 2009
Woofit "Barksandbytes." (Northamptonshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)
What can I say? After the justified success of the 'Worrisome Heart' album Melody Gardot has scaled the heights with, what will be, the best album of 2009 and might even be among the best of the decade. The sparse instrumentation, augmented with sumptuous string arrangements, gives much of the album a haunting beauty that stays with you long after the album ends. The truly gorgeous title track is, for me, the stand out on the album, but only because it deserves an unavailable sixth star amongst the bevy of five star tracks gathered on this CD. Buy it now as you are going to be missing an all time classic from your music collection without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "When i,m with you my whole world stands still"., 4 April 2009
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)
Ohhhhhh we are talking real class here. Even the ruddy CD itself is a work of art .Burnished with satin silver and pale blue writing that looks like it was etched by a supreme calligraphist it radiates style. Then there's the music -an intoxicating blend of midnight blues and reflective jazz with the angular bits pared off , it just glides out of the speakers like glossy blue/black tinged caramel. On top of that there's the voice. A lugubrious yet lovely instrument on it's own it has a burnished smoky quality and on the ballads it is so effortlessly serene it sounds poured out of some exquisite receptacle rather than sung out of flesh and blood . Yet she can do playful as well -just like on "Les Etoiles" where she rolls her R,s and sings with a twinkle in her throat and on the Latin tinged version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" As I said ...classy .Yet Melody Gardot was 19 when she had a serious bike accident. While she was in hospital recovering, Gardot discovered a singer-song writing talent through music therapy. What a talent it is too .Not only can she sing beautifully but she writes tremendous songs , impeccably arranged and with simple but hugely effective lovelorn lyrics. She can sing rather simple lines like "Deep within the corners of my mind / I keep a memory of your face /And I only pull it out when I long for your embrace" and invest them with such forsaken pathos that they transcend effortlessly the unadorned words .
The songs are draped with minimalist string arrangements , subtle brushed percussion , piano, guitar and brass with several alto-sax solo's from Gary Foster. There are several ballads of muted intensity ,as if she is afraid of waking someone sleeping next to her as she pours her late evening heart out.-songs like the title track, "Baby I'm A Fool" and Your Heart Is Black As Night", "Our Love Is Easy" "Lover Undercover" ."Who Will Comfort Me" and If The Stars Were Mine" are carried with more strident authority yet still throb with vulnerability .
So to reiterate -a class act all round. Faultlessly performed , adroitly produced by Larry Klein this album carries echoes of soundtracks ("Lover Undercover " sounds like an especially laid back John Barry number) and has resonance of several jazz /soul greats. At times, in it's more moody moments, it even reminded me of early Blue NileA Walk Across the Rooftops which is the highest compliment I can pay it. This is Melody Gardot,s album though. No recycling chanteuse she. Distinctive , memorable , and sophisticated there are a dozen thrills to be had here.. To nick a line from "My One And Only Thrill" : "When I'm with you my whole world stands still. ".It does too you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlatives fail me., 25 Mar 2009
Curlynob (Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My One And Only Thrill (Audio CD)
I'm totally razzle-dazzled by this new album by Melody Gardot! It's startling beyond comprehension how perfect it is. From that beautiful voice, with perfect unexpected phrasing to the Crème de la crème of arrangements there is not a note out of place. It's sophisticated without being sterile, Inteligent without being inaccessible and beautiful beyond compare. The album is virtually all originals, except for a Brazilian tinged reworking of Over The Rainbow, which could so easily be horrible, but is such a long way from horrible that it simply isn't true. It's hard to comprehend that there might be a better album by any artist this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars our love is easy., 29 Nov 2010
I first heard Melody on the BBCs "Later With Joools..." and have been a huge fan since. She reminded me of a UK jazz threesome from the 1980s called Carmel, except Melody has a bigger band behind her at times! Her vocals are amazing, haunting, and passionate all at once, and the lyrical content of some of her work is truly reflective and heart felt. When i read of her journey to get to where she is now and from where she started, reminded me of Mexicos' Frieda Kahlo, that something so potentually tragic, could become so powerfully fulfilling. The 2 cd version has "live" content although the audience seems to have been added on at a later date, but don't let that put you off from a superb vocal and musical arrangement. Definately recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Gardot, 15 Jun 2010
L. Bryant (Leicestershire) - See all my reviews
I am transported to a different place when I listen to the warm seductive vocals of Melody Gardot. I want her to be singing these songs to only me and her delivery makes you feel that this is the case. Whether I am at home listening or in the car nothing else matters, the world just passes by. This has to be one of the best finds out there and whether you want late night music or just slow down the tempo of life this is a CD that will not disappoint.

My One And Only Thrill