4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy & supportive
Published on 19 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

1,199 of 1,222 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the UK Map during update
I purchased a new XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) and it arrived at mid afternoon. I checked it on a short run in my car, then hooked it up to my laptop to downloaded updated maps. An hour later after updating my map I found that the update procedure (which is totally controlled by the Tom Tom software) had completely erased my UK map.

After emailing TomTom...
Published on 6 Oct 2010 by C. C. Weaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy & supportive, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit UK & ROI (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Now we are both in our seventies we found we were making navigational errors, and then getting more stressed attempting to find our way back on course! Friends had recommended SatNav in general and TomTom in particular. After a few weeks scanning descriptions and reviews we plumped for the TomTom XL IQ. It was delivered within a few days and I then spent an evening with it plugged into my computer, sorting out what had to be done over the internet - a straightforward but time-consuming process.

On almost all SatNav-worthy journeys we find it more convenient to have the unit on the passengers lap rather than fiddle with the mount. We also leave the cord connected as inserting and extracting the connector is a pain - very poor design here. The two units live in a pair of old short socks in a drawer at home or in handbag or rucksack away - a remarkably cheap solution!

In use the unit is very reassuring, with both visual and audible instructions usually coming in good time; it's particularly helpful lnowing how far to the next junction. However there is no audible warning if you are crossing a main road - it just assumes you will go straight over! It has only let us down badly on two occasions, the first when it gave no audible warning of an important turn off the road and we shot past the junction; however it then quickly recalculated the route, but it was through the centre of a town we should have by-passed! The other occured when we needed instructions leaving a large educational establishment SW of Horsham only to discover that it didn't know where we were, and we had to drive on instinct for four miles until it rediscovered our whereabouts. On occasions the turn instruction comes rather later than is helpful.

I wish it were easier to intsruct the unit to plot a route using waymarks so that it takes you the way you want.

On the whole we are very pleased with our purchase and the reduction in strain we have already experienced.

1,199 of 1,222 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the UK Map during update, 6 Oct 2010
C. C. Weaver (UK) - See all my reviews

After emailing TomTom and receiving a facile email intimating that I'm technophobe. I returned the unit for a refund.

Then I found a really helpful guy in Halfords - he told me this model has a 2gb memory (and no facility to increase). It's delivered with about 1.7gb of files pre-loaded (including the UK & Western Europe Map) - but if you look at the free map update (which now includes Turkey) it exceeds 2gb - so it erases the original, finds it can't fit on the new map and offers either Central Europe or Eastern Europe instead - both are less than 2gb but neither include UK.

Tom Tom dropped a brick with this model and map update combination: The specialist suppliers are NOT recommending XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) for this reason. So whatever you do DON'T DOWNLOAD A MAP UPDATE if you bought the UK ROI & Europe version until they've fixed this bug.

2.0 out of 5 stars What they don't tell you on the box!, 19 Jun 2011
I bought this unit because I wanted an up to date Euromap satnav. I needed several Euro countries and this unit had them all. I thought a new middle of the range TomTom should be fine. Indeed on receipt I fired it up and hey presto everything is good. I put the TomTom home software onto my computer and linked the Satnav with no problem. Then, the bit they don't tell you about. TomTom home found a new update and as the unit was new within 30 days or so I could download it. So I did. It took forever and then stated that my unit did not have enough space. The update was bigger than my TomTom could handle. How stupid is that? It is new. When you can buy an 8GB SD card for peanuts this unit has a maximum of 2GB storage and no card slot. Now either something went wrong or I pressed the wrong button but from that point on the TomTom was useless. I looked for help but all TomTom give are the usual directions to FQA's. Their FQA's are rubbish by the way. The best advice is always independent sites where people have no brand loyalty and say it like it is. I found one and after several long downloads and failures right at the ' literally' eleventh hour, managed to get the TOMTOM back. But not as it was, I could only choose a specific combination of regions due to size and not one combination covered all the countries I am going to. So I now have a Garmin to cover certain countries, as I would have to lose the UK for the TomTom to cover them. The choices are not good enough. We should be able to swap and change individual countries if we wish in order to tailor the Satnav. When are these manufacturer's going to wake up to that fact. My advice is to download the map updates directly to your computer and store them there. That way you can update, providing you have all night. This will enable you to swap the maps around to some extent, to get over the size limit on your TomTom and load what package is closest to the areas you need. At well over £100 it shouldn't be be a a cost problem for a manufacturer to put more memory on the unit to accept the official updates for the next two years, or is there another reason???

1,012 of 1,035 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, poor computer software, very poor customer service, 18 July 2009
After looking at a few comments on this product I find myself in agreement with many of the positive and even some of the negative.

To expound on this, I purchased the XL IQ routes ed (Europe)last Saturday for a trip around Spain next month, with the thought that I'd best get hold of one early enough to get used to the device as a) I had never owned a sat nav before (having been blessed with a pretty good personal GPS and the ability to read a map). and b) having been in cars with others who have used these devices I was concerned they may be more distracting than useful.

I picked this product based on reviews of others and a 5 minute demo from a friend, which to be honest made it look indespensable, even for the things that are often never mentioned about the device, such as the help section, which one would assume is a how to guide, but is infact a set up to get the nearest hosptial/ doctor whether driving or walking even including a first aid guide. Although I've not had to use these features, so cannot advise if any good, what a great feature!

My first trip was a known trip and on the whole it marked the way I would choose, but it still managed to save me 30 minutes off a regular journey time by throwing me down a couple of country lanes, so by now seriously impressed with the device.

So the next thing I do the same as everyone does is connect the device to their PC to make sure they have the latest maps, cameras et al.

As soon as you connect it, it installs the software already pre-loaded on the device (a really nice feature, no disc to lose woohoo!) as soon as it this application is installed (called tom tom HOME) it asks if you would like to update.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

CLICK CANCEL, DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU HAVE MANUALLY BACKED UP THE DEVICE.

that is the message you should be shown first, how aleading manufacturer of such a product can get you updating before you've backed up a working machine is unbelivable, but just a sign of today I feel, in that once they have your money they no longer care.

Of course, I was not aware and like most clicked the update button, all is well, I disconnect the device turn it on and woohoo a nice tom tom shaped paper weight.

I then spend a week battling customer services, to get this working as I cannot return the device due to it being software and excluded from 28 day returns policy.

In the end I fixed the device myself, as customer service just insisted on forwarding me pre-prepared scripts that were not able to resolve the issue. I'll not go into how I fixed it but I did have to format it and start from scratch, re-installing applications and maps, which athough I'm capable is not something I feel I should have been doing.

Anyway now the device is backed up and working and in summary it is a great product and I would highly recommend it.

Just make sure you back up the device manually before updating (guide on tomtom website) and you should be golden.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What it says on the tin !!, 19 July 2010
I have owned 3 tomtom machines and all have struggled with the same problem.....internal memory is small for the full European map.

There is no mention that the European map is has grown so large that the full map will no longer fit onto the 2gb flash drive. Tomtom home even tell's you your machines memory is too small for the full version and instead you are offer a zoned map of Europe that you must choose. (4 zones)

I have frequently used my machines on holidays but the way the Europe map zones are split mean you can have U.K & Germany but not Spain or Italy.....or you can choose U.K & Spain but not Germany or Italy.

On past machines I have worked around this by installing a 4gb SD card but some "bean counter" at Tomtom has decided a few pounds can be saved by doing away with the SD slot on most machines.
Adding lots of POI, music or additional features Tomtom offer!! could be limited.
Good points the TT has an easy to use interface and the map graphics are good but I paid for a full working map installed on the machine not my home computer. Removing the SD slot is a step back

1.0 out of 5 stars not enough memory to install updates, 19 Jan 2012
Dont buy this product by the time you install a start up and shut down emblem and map updates the memory is full and thats without any voice or driving style updates.Then next time you want to update maps or cameras there is no available space and then you are out of time to return it so then have to deal with tomtom customer services luckily i updated mine then looked at available space and so then checked reviews, this problem seems to be a massive issue.DONT BUY

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 July 2010
I had a tomtom ages ago, so was really looking forward to upgrading to one with newer features. The screen is a great size & once you get used to the bit that sticks it to the screen, it attaches really well.

I had to return this device for 2 reasons. It does not warn you about the congestion zone in London. It crashed when trying calculate a route between 2 postcodes, one based in SW London, the other in NW London. If you live in London and need to get through the city, then avoid it.

If you are going to buy it, then definitely get it from Amazon, as they have a great returns policy. Do not purchase it directly from Tomtom, as they will not refund anything you've had for more than 7 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect - 4.5 stars, 1 May 2009
C. Fackrell "freddietheone" (York, UK.) - See all my reviews
This is my second TomTom navigation unit. My first was the original TomTom GO, which I gave to my father just over 2 years ago as the new company car I was given had a navigation unit in it. How I missed the TomTom! You miss the 3D-style intuitive display, the easy tap screen entry. Well, the new XL iq Routes European Edition is just great! It has a really clear display with a non-reflective surface, which is much better that the old TomTom GO shiny-screen.

The display is bigger and the unit is far quicker and more responsive to the satellite signals. I have noted some small map errors when I was in Edinburgh recently. The TomTom was trying to make me turn right into a road that was not there, it was 50 feet above me (North Bridge). I tagged the point on my unit (it says you can do this) with the intention of advising when I upgrade the maps on my computer. I have no idea where the 'tag' point went to? I browsed the map and manually advised but this feature is very cumbersome and probably not as intended, it certainly was not as I had inferred the feature. I will ask TomTom about this but the question is so obscure it may not be understood. But for this small quirk I would give it 5 stars.
I never use the voice for navigation or have need of a bluetooth link to my mobile 'phone (I use a Jabra earpiece), so those features are not needed from the product portfolio. This unit has no Bluetooth and if it had no sound it would be cheaper and for me better too.

The speed travelling and road limit on the bottom of the screen is an excellent addition.
I am yet to use it in Europe but all being well it will be as good there as here. The screen mount is wonderful, being both very solid and quick to attach and detatch.

I wholeheartedly recommend the unit. It is quick, simple, intuitive and accurate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money, 26 Sep 2009
I would find it difficult to express quite how disappointed I am with this product. It was bought to replace a TomTom One which we had had for just over three years and which had lost her voice. The old one was bulky, had few features and occasionally had bizarre map blips when roads had changed as all SatNavs do, but we had used it all over the UK and France and been pleased with it overall.

The new XL IQ initially created a good impression with its thinner frame and clear large screen and the persistent problems took a while to reveal themselves. Firstly, it takes forever to find a signal - anything up to five minutes while you sit in the car drumming your fingers waiting to know which direction to take. Secondly, even once it has locked on, it suddenly drops the signal for no apparent reason and you are left waiting for it to pick one up again - this time while you are driving along. This is particularly unhelpful and potentially dangerous if it happens while you are going round a roundabout or trying to get in lane round a ring road. Although this was apparent from the start, the manual says that it may take a while to pick up GPS WHEN YOU FIRST START TO USE IT so we stupidly waited for things to get better. They haven't.

Then there's the maps. We live in the middle of a Victorian terrace in London. Not a new road you understand and not remote or rural. Our house is not there. Houses up to number 24 are and after 84 but not ours. This doesn't matter particularly because we know where we live, but unfortunately this is far from the only gap in its knowledge. Driving round Norwich (another city you will note) it had no idea about long established one way streets and, in addition, attempted to take us down tiny lanes that in the 19th century would have accommodated a thin horse and cart. When we drove past these it took us on a circuitous loop to go back and have another go. In Coltishall (a bit more rural I admit) it suggested we should turn right as we went over a bridge - presumably to take a trip down the river (although that wasn't in the right direction either!)

Finally there is the window sticker. This is a small plastic disc which fixes directly to the back of the SatNav. The size is good compared to the huge one on our old TomTom One but it is fiddly and clicks off while you are trying to get the angle right or while trying to push in the tiny, recessed cable which in itself is a significant challenge to manual dexterity.

Unfortunately, we bought it through BestDigitalMarket on Amazon Marketplace rather than direct through Amazon and they do not have Amazon's excellent returns policy. As I saved only a couple of pounds buying in this way, it was a mistake to do so. It took a little while for these problems to emerge and we have had the device for for five weeks. BestDigitalMarket do not permit returns after 28 days and were generally offhand and unhelpful so I am left dealing with TomTom's awful customer "support" who do not respond to emails.

So - recommendations. Don't touch the TomTom XL IQ Europe with a barge pole and consider whether the small saving you may occasionally make by buying through Amazon Marketplace rather than Amazon itself is worth it in the long run.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good device, shame about everything else!, 30 Sep 2010
I have to agree with a lot of what has been said in the one and two star reviews here as I had a load of issues starting up with this device.

First of all, the box art and text was not in English. My guess is that the languages are Eastern European because I didn't recognise many of the letters, let alone the words. Then on opening the box imagine my surprise (not!) when I found the instructions book was in the same languages. So that was my first disappointed.

On contacting 'Tom' at Amazon and advising I did NOT have access to a printer with my PC at home and did NOT have access to one at work, his suggestion was to go to the TomTom website, download the manual in English and print it. 2nd disappointment.

So next I had to work out by reading from the manual on screen how to use thing. Let me tell you, working out how to use a satnav which has no satellite connectivity when it's placed next to your PC screen can be slow going and at times frustrating. That was disappointment number 3.

Anyway, I finally got it working and decided to download the up to date maps. It's at this stage I would like to thank all those previous contributors to this feedback forum who left clues as to what to do. That's because it doesn't explain how to do it in the manual and it doesn't explain it on Tom Tom's website. Oh yes, there are instruction. But the up to date European all regions map is too big for the memory, so following the instructions on TomTom's website is a waste of time and effort. Instead it took around 8 hours (2 nights) of backups, downloads, upload failures, further downloads, further failures and then a sudden highlighted option about 'region 2' maps and then another couple of hours downloading and then uploading and hey friggin presto, your p1553d off but working. Disappointment number 4.

In the meantime, after a couple of emails back forth between myself and 'Tom' at Amazon, he finally acknowledges my lack of printer and kindly offers to send me a free case for my tom Tom and in it a printed copy of the user manual. That was two weeks ago. I'm still waiting. That's my 5th main disappointment which can equally be spread between TomTom and Amazon. All could do so much better.

On the plus side, once it was up and working I found it easy to use around London both to input address details and with it's large bright clear display.

A word of WARNING. As previous reviews have stated, this device does NOT advertise it's main shortcoming as a satnav, which is that it cannot store a complete up to date European map in one. I believe this should be made clear on the advertsing blurb as this is misleading to customers who want this function. As I'm not likely to drive across the whole of Europe in the near future, it's not a problem for me so doesn't go on my list.

All in all, I great little device, clear and easy to use BUT ONLY once you finally get it working.