5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH more than just a DVD player!
This Philips DVP3360 DVD player is simply amazing. DivX/Xvid support, USB 2.0, region free in a few clicks of your remote....what more can you ask for?

Published on 19 Jun 2009 by Bertie Buggerington

3.0 out of 5 stars DVP3360 Philips DVD Player
Yes I Bought this from Argos. Dose everything it says on the box. But I am a bit Disappointed. One of the reasons i bought it was To play Cd's in the Sitting room. The phillips DVD recorder we had was brilliant at it. So I thought cant go wrong with this. But how wrong i was.

Published on 17 Jan 2010 by music_lover

5.0 out of 5 stars MUCH more than just a DVD player!, 19 Jun 2009
This review is from: Philips DVP3360/05 1080p Upscaling DVD Player - Black (Electronics)

The main attraction here though is the scaling to HD resolutions over HDMI. Well good news.....the scaling/de-interlacing chip inside this baby is the very same Miediatek© chip used in the Oppo 980H upscaling player....which costs about £175 in Europe. So take it from me, 1080p, 1080i or 720p scaling/de-interlacing is handled MUCH better than all but the more expensive TV's chipsets. That is how it works you see....for a normal consumer grade TV set, IF you have a good upscaling player, you let the DVD player perform the scaling, by setting it to output 720p, 1080i or 1080p over HDMI. But if the TV is of a much higher quality than your DVD player, you make the player output 576p (or i) over HDMI or component and let the TV's chipset do the scaling/de-interlacing to the TV's native resolution. My Sony Bravia set looks great when it scales to HD resolutions, but the Mediatek chipset in this player does an even better job..so I feed my set 1080i. (Note: The Mediatek chip is also the same one as in the more expensive Philips DVP5990). At the end of the day, though, always let your eyes be the judge.

Please note, if you're new to upscaling: Ignore the salesman hype about SD upscaling rivaling Blu-Ray and broadcast HD....it simply never will. But it is DAMN nice when done well....and a perfect halfway house for those not prepared to pay Blu-Ray prices. Also, for those with TV sets smaller than 40", upscaled DVD is easily your best bet. For me and many other people, Blu-Ray is a specialist format for those with very big screens and even deeper pockets.

The DVP3360 has played every disc I've thrown at it.....even scratched up no brand DVD-R's or DVD+R's....no sensitivity issues here. This makes it perfect for home burned media. That's IF you can be bothered burning DVD's in the first place of course. As if you chuck a USB flash drive into your shopping basket at the same time as buying this, or if you have one at home already, you can take full advantage of the high speed USB 2.0 port on the front of the player. Just drag files to the flash drive on your PC...DivX, Xvid, MP3, WMA and what-have-you, and plug it in the DVP3360. No more formatting and burning discs....brilliant. Previous Philips players used USB 1.1....which was fine for playback of slow moving drama style movies, but when it came to car chases and other fast moving scenes it got very choppy indeed. So much so that it just wasn't worth it sometimes. And don't get me started on fast-forwarding and re-winding movies on a USB 1.1 drive....you got 2x speed at best. Not the case any more...USB 2.0's data rate is up to 480MBPS (USB 1.1 was a lousy 12MBPS), so fast scenes play as they would off a DVD, and FF/RW is also smooth and fast...up to 32x speed in fact. Brilliant!

You are not just limited to USB flash drives either....if you buy a USB 2.0 external HDD (160GB or less), and format it to the FAT32 standard (it does not recognise NTFS formatted devices), you can keep your entire movie/music collection in DivX/Xvid/MP3/WMA on one of these instead, and stand it neatly at the DVP3360's side. That makes it MUCH more than just a DVD player in my eyes....it becomes a multimedia centre at this point.

WANT REGION FREE DVD SUPPORT? No problem...just follow these very simply steps:
1. Turn the DVD player on (with no disc in the drive).
2. Press the "Setup" button on the remote control.
3. Highlight but do not select the "Preferences" page using the right directional button.
4. Type 1,3,8,9,3,1 on your remote. The default region setting will be displayed.
5. Use the Up/Down directional buttons to select the required region, or select "0" for region free.
6. Press the "Setup" button on the remote control to leave the menu.

Congratulations...your player is now region free.

So now that's a region free HDMI 1080p upscaling DVD player with USB 2.0....for less than £60? That means bargain in anyone's language.....especially considering the high quality guts of the machine and its sleek, sexy looks.

Note, too, that the only thing the more expensive DVP5990 has on this baby is an optional optical SPDIF output. This machine has just digital coaxial...but digital audio is digital audio. Oh...and the DVP5990 also has WMV support, but I know for a fact that a well known firmware modifier is currently planning an unofficial patch to add WMV support to this machine, so even that won't matter soon (although firmware modification is a warranty violation, so proceed with that at your own risk). In light of all this, I'd save yourself a few quid and buy the DVP3360 instead of its older brother - I did, and I am not regretting it in the slightest. A well deserved 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 15 May 2009
Mrs. V. Keene (norfolk) - See all my reviews
I recieved this item alot quicker than expected.Had no problem setting it up,very easy.The picture quality is amazing,crystal clear and very sharp.I would recommend this dvd to anyone who is on a budget.Definetly go out and buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars This ones a "Dark Horse"......, 28 May 2009
Paul Barrett (UK) - See all my reviews
My original purchase was to be the Philips dvp5990 (Amazon £72.66 May 09)
I came across this player..... did some research and thought wow!!

It has the USB slot at the front... USB2 that is !! very handy for playing high bit-rate Divx/Xvid movies... no lagged/stuttered playback on intense action scenes. (Earlier Philips DVD players with USB 1 suffered from)

Hdmi output..... cyrstal clear picture, far better than my older dvp5960 which also had hdmi support. (42" Philips LCD Tested with Hdmi & RGB Scart)

Accepts a FAT32 formated HDD or Memory stick. (USB-2 Slot at the front)

The playing quality of a regular DVD movie is also exceptional !

And.... if you pop in an audio cd, followed by some kinda storage device into the USB slot, it will actualy rip and convert the music to MP3 !! how cool is that (Wont id3 tag the tracks though... obviously!)

All in all.... a very good purchase.

The only down-side (And there is always one) is the fact that powering off the unit (Stand-by) still leaves power going to the USB port... so you'll have to unplug your mobile HDD otherwise it will carry on running and probaby burn itself out eventually :(
(The only reason it did not get 5 stars)

Highly recommended all the same :)

3.0 out of 5 stars DVP3360 Philips DVD Player, 17 Jan 2010

Every CD whether it be one i made or bought from the amazon The player misses the first 2 seconds of each track it plays I do not know why but its annoying the hell out of me intensely. I did read ages ago why Cheap DVD players Did this. Never gave it a thought this one would I would not have bought it if i knew. This begs two Questions. The guy gave it a shinny review making MP3 on a flash drive mines less than a month old whys yours different to mine. I never been great at taking things back So it going to stay and do what it was primarily designed for.

I have since found after a chat with Phillips customer service, There is a software upgrade for this machine

[...]

Download the latest firmware from the product support page.
- Please refer to the "Installation Instruction" on the product support page for more information on the upgrade procedure.
- If there is no firmware available to download, it means that your player already has the latest software installed.

Extract the files from the .ZIP file.
Write the extracted files onto a blank CD-R or CD-RW disc.
Switch on the set and insert the disc.
If the upgrade file is recognized, a message will appear on your TV screen.
If the upgrade file is not recognized, you may have written the files onto the disc incorrectly. Try to write the files to the disc at a slower speed.
Follow the instructions that appear on the TV screen.
After your player has read the file, it will eject the disc.
You may now remove the disc, but do not close the tray.
It will take approximately 3-5 minutes for the software to be upgraded.
Your player will restart itself once the upgrade is complete.
After the player has been restarted, you will need to perform a reset it in order for the changes to take effect.
Proceed as follows:
- press the SETUP button on the remote control
- use the arrow keys to select Preferences and press >
- use the arrow keys to select Default and press OK

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little dvd player, 2 Nov 2009
Not much to say about this, most of what this beauty can do has already been said so will try and make this one brief.

Didn't want a Blue-ray as they are too expensive in my opinion, will wait until their cheap if I do buy one. Just wanted a a new dvd player with HDMI and this was the best I saw for the price. Like one of the reviewers said, it's lovely looking especially the front and looks more expensive than it is.

The USB port at the front was a bonus for me, use this all the time now for ripping cds to my Samsung YP-U2 MP3 player instead of computer and for charging it. You can rip cds (doesn't take long on fast mode) from as low as 96kps (great for saving space) and as high as 320kps. Some cds I have ripped do give the song titles, Peal Jams Back Spacer for example and Metallicas Death Magnetic. It automatically puts each cd in it's own folder. You can just select which tracks you want, so you don't have to rip all of each cd if you want to save space.

Does anyone know if the Sandisk 8GB sansa clip is compatible with this dvd player? would appreciate it if anyone could let me know as I am interested in this particular mp3 player as I want more space.

I also have the DVP5990 which I think the menu and settings is a little better, apart from that I prefer the DVP3360 as it's smaller, cheaper and better looking than the DVP5990 which is why I have two of these beauties. One other thing I must mention is the remote control, one other reviewer said they didn't like it, but in my opinion it's the best remote control I have ever had (no exaggeration) and I have had plenty. I love the design, I almost know where every button is on this with my eyes closed.

Don't hesitate in buying this beauty if you're seriously thinking about it, even if it's just for a spare room. Highly recommended multi-region dvd player.

5.0 out of 5 stars high def pictures and easy to use, 28 Aug 2009
K. A. Power - See all my reviews
i bought the dvd player after a reveiw i read on amazon, sometimes the reveiws can be misleading but not this time
i love this player not only is it a multi region but the picture is the best i've seen a must buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 31 Dec 2012
Does what it says on the box, very good buy for the money. I am very pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but died after 18m, 7 July 2011
Toby Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
Reads all sorts of discs, including re-recordable DVDs. And it has USB.
But, it's died after 18m - it won't switch on properly, won't open the door (with DVD inside).
It was only £40, but really, there's not much to go wrong, so I'm dissapointed.
I'll probably buy the latest version again though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far!, 14 Nov 2009
This DVD player certainly seems to read any format you throw at it - so far anyway. I bought it for the USB port really in order that videos can be watched from a USB stick and this works well. When loading a DVD-R it can take a while to read the disc, although that is pretty standard for players that read them. I have not had one fail yet although have had it less than a week so will update this review if I have problems. There is one big drawback, the main reason I gave it only four stars - the menu from a DVD-R (or CD-R, I expect), which obviously shows the filenames for any mp3s, videos or photos on the disc, only shows 12 characters of each of the filenames. For a fairly new player, this is daft, I would say 25 or even more characters should be the minimum. There is room on the screen for more but only 12 are shown, which can be rather annoying if there is part of the title such as a number that you need to know before playing it. I know that Sony's equivalent player (but without USB!) shows about 25 characters plus, so it can be done, Philips!
The other issue I am a bit concerned about is that longer ago I had two Philips players - models that were about 1 year or so older - I think they both had USB. The first one worked for 6 to 8 months and then stopped reading DVD-Rs at all. The second gave up in about 2 weeks. Fortunately I got refunds for both, however this is obviously unacceptable so I am hoping this one will be better. I will attempt to update this review if I have similar problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Converting CD's To MP3 Format !, 18 Aug 2009
Mr. George Macduff (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
I mainly got this for the MP3 converting !
If you pop in an audio cd, followed by your storage device into the USB slot, it will actualy rip and convert the music to MP3 !
If you've a lot of cd's like I do and are converting them to digital this is a godsend !
It plays Div'x files with ease and is also a great DVD player !

Highly recommended !