5.0 out of 5 stars Its been a long wait for perhaps the best album ever made, 22 May 2009
Stuart James (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for many years for this album to be released on cd. It is a 1972 album, originally just called 'Esther Ofarim'. There are a few bonus tracks as well, and it has been digitally re-mastered. Esther has a voice of great purity and beauty. This was her at her very best. There is only one word for it - brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matchless, 13 July 2009
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
I concur with everything the previous reviewer said. I adore this woman's voice, and this LP/CD has been part of my inner soundtrack for over thirty years. I originally had this on vinyl, and when I moved to Cornwall and gave away my record collection, I couldn't bear to part with this one, so it came with me. A couple of years ago I had it transferred onto CD, but the copy wasn't brilliant ... still, it was better than nothing. And now here it is, reborn and re-mastered, with bonus tracks included for good measure. Esther's voice and her interpretations of these songs are marvellous. Don't hesitate, just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting past, 13 Jan 2010
B. Bowler (Cornwall near England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
I owned this LP way back in the '60's and sadly lost it, Esther's voice and very special song selection has haunted me ever since so having discovered this CD I couldn't wait to hear if it had been spoiled by modern updating. It is brilliant and what a shame it is that Esther never really gained her true place in the top line of singers. Buy it, you will not be disappointed!Esther Ofarim in London

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 8 Sep 2009
Mr. R. J. Mundell "Bob Mundell" (Dumfries, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
Like the previous reviewer, I have owned a copy of the vinyl pressing since it was first released,and always adored it. I did convert it to CD a little while ago, but the quality wasn't brilliant, so I have longed for a proper digital copy for so long - I can hardly wait; and I didn't realise, that it was Esther Ofarim, the album...I'm so pleased it is!

Bob Mundell

4.0 out of 5 stars That wonderful spine tigling voice, 23 April 2012
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
Like the other reviewers, I own an original vinyl copy of this album and when played on a really good hi-fi system Esther's voice has such a wonderful resonance. I wouldn't part with that album for any amount of money. However, also in common with the other reviewers I wanted the album on CD too and was very excited when I discovered this version on Amazon. The reason I have only given it 4 stars is because of the version of Gnostic Serenade on the CD, it bears little resemblance to that on the vinyl album. In the CD sleeve notes Esther speaks about how Bob Johnston mixed this track back in Nashville by erasing the entire orchestral track and stripped it down to just a basic framework of her voice, guitar, bass and electric piano giving it an entirely different feel to the rest of the album and ends her comment with the word "Fantastic". I agree with her and although it is different it fits with the atmosphere of the album and Bob Johnson knew what he was doing! So why oh why when reissuing the album on CD did they decide to include the wrong version of this track? which is so beautiful and haunting on the vinyl version and becomes quite ordinary by comparison on the CD? I am surprised that none of the other reviewers who own the original version have not mentioned this.
That one disappointing track aside the rest of the CD is a must for any Esther fan and of course if you no longer have the opportunity to compare both versions of Gnostic Serenade you will love all of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wow of a voice, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
It was a much appreciated gift to my husband - he loved it, & I've loved hearing it from his study.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
This review is from: In London (Audio CD)
Excellent value in evrry respect

In London
In London by Esther and Abi Ofarim (Audio CD - 2009)