5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible series.
Published 16 months ago by huw

1.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles!
I too have fallen into the subtitle web. I can see the description says Dutch subtitles --now -- but I had not realised before purchase. As an earlier reviewer said, there does not seem to be any way to switch them off! I can't find the receipt to return but I would be reasonably happy with this if it were not for the irritating subtitles!
Published 16 months ago by Penderyn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles!, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: War & Peace - Complete Series - 5-DVD Box Set ( War and Peace ) (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible series., 14 Jan. 2014
I saw this as a teenager when it first came out and had only the haziest memories of it. However, it has Anthony Hopkins playing the main role who has since become very famous. The series has 20 episodes, each lasting 45 minutes, and so can give a fairly detailed rendition of Tolstoy's novel. We were all gripped from start to finish. The acting is amazing, the dialogue (which I assume is largely Tolstoy) is wonderful. We had to look at 2 or three episodes in a sitting, we were so enthralled by the drama. The story is an amazing epic and has something for everyone,. I cannot recommend this highly enough. For some reason there were Dutch sub-titles which could not be removed. The picture has not been remastered, but that does not matter much. You can enjoy the thoughts of Napoleon, battles, love, betrayal, death, dancing and much more....

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloody subtitles, 20 Sept. 2013
I cannot turn the German subtitles off, which really hampers my enjoyment of this product.
Very unhappy with it. Help

3.0 out of 5 stars unknown subtitles, 1 May 2014
It wasn't made clear that there were sub titles in Dutch. When I revisited the site and scrolled right down to the bottom that is when I saw the mention of subtitles. I feel this was so important it should have been made far more clear. Once we opened it unknowingly we couldn't return same. I feel I cannot trust ordering any more dvds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic-why don't they make more like this these days, 21 Aug. 2013
I watched this at a rate of a disc a night and was compelled. I've read the book so know that the source material is fantastic. And like reading the book you live with and love the characters as they develop spiritually and morally. So the sets seem crude and camera work old fashioned but Tolstoy was not a slick stylist himself; instead he was about making Natasha,Pierre and Andrei real through the profound exploration of their heads. And this dvd, for me, got that psychological sense, so that was riveted in spite of the Dutch subtitles.

3.0 out of 5 stars Subtitled., 1 May 2014
I found the subtitles distracting & spoilt my enjoyment. I should have viewed the advert more closely to make sure I got one without subtiltes

4.0 out of 5 stars product review, 31 July 2013
very good value for money have little else to say .i cannot find fault apart from the recorded sound which needed slightly more volume

4.0 out of 5 stars Tolstoy's great story, 16 Jan. 2014
I first saw this series when a young teenager and couldnt get enough of it!
It made me go on to read Tolstoy's great work and the memory of some of the scenes
helped to get me through the more lengthy and complicated passages of the book!
It was also about the first time I saw Anthony Hopkins bringing a character to life
he already had consummate skills that he is so well known for now.

It does seem a little creaky to begin with the action is slower than we are used to now but one slides
into the flow of it and it still works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still very good!, 8 Jan. 2014
I did have a VHS set of War & Peace but it was lost during a move. I had been looking for it and was glad when I found it offered by Amazon. It is very interesting to watch because of the detailed information about the war and the invasion by Napoleon. The acting is first rate. While the regular film ends when Pierre returns to Moscow after the end of the war, this mini series extends the story to a few years later, just like the book! Believe it or not I did oick up the book again to check it out. Easy reading and terrific viewing!

4.0 out of 5 stars war returns to Europe!, 14 Mar. 2014
Mr. Philip R. Hyne (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
I watched the TV series of War & Peace back in the 70s [?] when it was first shown. I know it's a very good rendering of the epic story with great stars in it like Rupert Davies and Anthony Hopkins, so faced with several versions I opted for this one without hesitation, and it still stands up well from its age.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›