Style Name: Dual|Change

on 12 February 2011
This is a video of the Delkin Fat Gecko Mini Camera Mount.It is very strong and remained firmly fixed to the glass surface for several days.My camera a Sony TRV950 is no lightweight,nearly 2 kilos.The only concerns I have is the release handle.This seems a little flimsy and if not handled with care I felt could snap.I have tried it in car with the extension-& despite a bit of bounce, the camera & mount stayed firmly in place.Highly recommended.
on 28 November 2009
I was looking for a device to hold a second camcorder when videoing meetings and classes, and this has been almost perfect. It has enabled me to mount a camcorder high up near the ceiling simply by attaching it to the window to get a wide-angle view. The suction mount is secure and powerful, and the press-button and flip-lever combination is quick and reliable. The extensions and ball-and-socket joints allow for a wide range of adjustment, but the large knobs make it easy to tighten them into the desired final position. The whole thing is reassuringly robust and solid. The extension arm makes it possible to fit a camcorder to a windscreen despite the screen's rake. A great product at a very reasonable price considering its rather specialised market.
on 30 January 2011
I got this for my home videos but was a little worried putting £1000 worth of kit on the outside of my car and racing down country lanes, within the speed limit of course! This thing is stickier than super glue, just make sure there are no cracks or hairs underneath and you'll be fine. Cars, snowboards, canoes, windows all been fine and it's not dropped my camera once. I even fixed it to the skylight in my kitchen and hung my entire weight off it without it letting go.
on 2 December 2010
I ordered one of these from Amazon, arrived in 2 days in perfect condition.

I wanted this device for attachment to the front drivers window, in order to attach my point and shoot Kodak digital camera so that I could video through the windscreen of my car whilst driving.

With the extension included in the pack, the camera can easily be positioned facing forward in a way that does not restrict my vision and clears the front pilar.

It is quick to attach to the window and stays there for hours without falling off. It is easily removed and can be adjusted so that the camera is in exactly the right position and within easy reach to both see through the camera screen and to start and stop the video.

The results are very good, day and night, when I will leave the video on for whole journies of an hour or more.

This set-up using a digital camera is better than using an action cam which I have tried with disappointing results.

This product sticks well to glass, but not so well to the smooth plastic on the dash, where it fell off after 5 minutes when I first tried it on that surface, not tried it on any other surface, so can't comment.

A well made product that deserves 5 stars, price is reasonable too.
on 19 March 2012
I bought this to replace a Manfrotto suction cup. The fat gecko is far more usable. The smaller size and articulation of the suction cups allows it to stick to a much greater variety of gradients.

Build quality is better than I was expecting. The only niggle is the oft-mentioned attachment to the bottom of the camera. I still haven't managed to stop it from slowly swivelling yet.

Applying the device to a surface is very rapid and it feels as solid as claimed.

Caveat? I bought it primarily for filming while attached to a car. It's turned out to be pretty hopeless for that as it's very susceptible to vibration. I presume that'll be down to the small contact area and the flex between the cups and the body.

If you're filming on very smooth surfaces I'm sure it'll do an admirable job. If you want to film on an average British road you're going to be disappointed.

I'm sure I'll find alternate uses for it over time. It's a nice thing to experiment with.
on 12 January 2011
After reading reviews of this here I was a bit concerned about the 1/4 inch mount on the tripod. Anyway, I went ahead and bought it.

Delkin may have changed it slightly as when it arrived I saw that there was a rubber washer on the mount which means that when you tighten it to the camera base there is a slight gap between the base and the the 1/4 inch mount ... enabling you to get a decent grip. There's also a ribbed grip on the 1/4 inch mount which is helpful.

I'm really pleased with the versatility of this suction tripod mount. I would advise wherever possible not to have the tripod arm in a straight position. For example on the bonnet of your car whilst driving try not to have the arm straight up in the air... as you will get more camera shake this way. That's not a problem with this device but due to the natural geometry of the car bouncing on a road which may cause vibrations to come up through the tripods arm.

Instead, when it is on your bonnet have the arm resting almost flat on the Delkin Gecko and use the very top ball near the camera to be angled so that your camera is looking in the direction you want.

It's extremely good value compared to other professional manufacturers
on 1 March 2011
After hearing good reviews about this product, despite having a heavier camera than the described weight limit I thought I would take a punt and purchase the mount.
The main purpose for the mount would be to fit it onto the exterior and interior of my car in an attempt to create short films of car shows I have been to and apart from the obvious camera wobble from the road the footage was spot on even at 40-50 mph! The mount worked perfectly and I honestly believe it would easily hold pretty much any weight camera with ease.
The suction cup is great and works extremely well on glass in particular however you do have to make sure any surface is cleaned well before hand. The only problem I have found using a larger camera with this mount however is it can be a pain to keep screwing it on and of the mount and it can get rather fiddly.

All in all an excellent product and an excellent price and delivery service to go with it!
on 15 August 2011
I purchased this camera mount for a very specific purpose: to attach a Kodak Playsport camera to a 350cc quad bike! As part of a "Stag Day" I organised for my brother-in-law I had arranged a quad biking activity for the morning of the day. I knew I'd have difficulty finding a static location for filming as the quad biking route was through a forest so I thought it would be more interesting if a camera was mounted on one of the quads - the last quad of seven with camera facing forwards.
I'd had the opportunity to look at the quads previously and decided that it would be possible to mount the camera on the fibre glass fairing IF the suction mount was good enough.
After some research on Amazon and eBay I went with the Gecko as it seemed to have the most effective suction cup. As a "just in case" measure I also attached a chain to the Gecko which I affixed to the Quad bike bull bar. If the suction cup failed the theory was that I wouldn't lose the camera, the mount and, most importantly, the memory card!
I "field tested" the mount on my little Suzuki 4 x 4 and it worked well.
Then came the day of the quad biking event...
Due to a shoulder injury I couldn't participate in the "quading" myself so I attached the camera to the quad bike driven by a friend. I pressed "record" and hoped for the best!
Despite constant vibration from the terrain and engine vibration the mount held firm for the entire event (over an hour). The resulting 35 minute footage (I think it stopped due to file size) proved to be pretty good. A bit wobbly but perfectly watchable. If I were to do something like this again the only change I would make would be to remove the mount extender as I suspect this may have amplified the vibration effect.
An excellent piece of kit which will provide me with some interesting options for filming in the future.
on 23 October 2010
I do a lot of video work in cars, recording people talking and even drifting or power sliding while talking, I needed an unmoveable mount that could hold both SLR and handy cam, well this is it. Once you stick it to the windscreen there's no moving it.
It also sticks to bodywork and even at high speeds it doesn't budge.
There is two problems, the screw that you put the camera on can come out when you're unscrewing the camera, in other words it can lock it's self onto the camera. You just need to be careful when your taking it off.
Otherwise it's a great product, seller was quick to deliver too.
on 30 December 2013
Bought this to mount a Sony HDR AS15 to my 180mph super bike. This thing sticks like hard setting glue. I use a separate tether just in case. But it's not come adrift yet. It's been mounted to the fairing at various places. And the top speed I've done whilst it's in place is 165mph.

Does what it says on the tin, and then some!