5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Sweet Romance
Published on 11 Feb 2004 by Tora F

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing really!!!
Published on 27 Oct 2007 by Lindymck

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Sweet Romance, 11 Feb 2004
Tora F (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
Readers of Deirdre Martin's first book Body Check will remember Theresa Falconetti as Janna's feisty best friend who is almost raped by an ice hockey player. Theresa returns as the main character in this book still dealing with the fallout from the incidents in the first book. She has become straight laced, no nonsense and definitely not interested in ice hockey players which is why she is not very impressed when ice hockey player with a heart of gold Michael Dante starts pursuing her. Not only is he an ice hockey player but like Theresa he is Italian and from Brooklyn, two things she has spend most of her adult life trying to get away from.
He is relentless and Theresa is in turn charmed by Michael and frightened by her own feelings and past experiences. She has a lot to deal with as does Michael. His hockey career only has a few years to go so he decides to revamp the restaurant his parents left to him and his brother so he hires Theresa’s firm to handle the PR.
I love reading books about ice hockey players and Michael Dante would have to be the sweetest male romance character ever. The whole book left me with a soppy grin on my face and sighing a lot. I enjoyed this book just as much as its raunchier predecessor Body Check and the supporting characters seemed more fleshed out and realistic than in Body Check.
I can't wait to read Deirdre Martin's next novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars 90% perfect, 29 May 2009
I have to say i enjoyed this book.
Since others before me already explained the plot i'm just going to say that this book, like BODY CHECK before it, gives a perfect picture of people with real problems and real defects that they manage to overcome in a believable period of time.
I often found a little farfetched the stories that resolve themselves in no more than 3 weeks, even if i enjoed them. "i wish it could be THAT easy" I always find myself thinking afterwards.

Martin's books lack the sensual passion I like but in the end they are very romantic, enjoyable and believable!

Being a true italian I laughed a little when I read the "italian" parts, especially the use of the insults, being a bit naive. It's like I could offend an american shouting at his face "rude!" or "dodo!", maybe a very sensitive one.
I still don't know what a "gavone" is and it's spelled ARRIVEDERCI not arriverderci.

Summing up, it'a good romance book with a few flaws, it makes you laugh and cry and keeps you turning the pages till it's over! Could anyone ask for more?

Ciao

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing really!!!, 27 Oct 2007
Lindymck (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
slow paced and felt it was really a chore to read, not much spark unlike body check. although if you enjoy some hockey with ur romance then u might enjoy this one. did feel that theresa was a bit silly in putting up with a boyf that was just lousy but then also felt that ruling out italian guys from brooklyn was silly too. but throughout the novel theresa had overcome her problems and become a stronger person.

some familar faces appear from body check to help michael and theresa on their way to finding each other. hope the next book is better, fingersn crossed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It only got 1 star cos we caught up with Janna & Ty!, 7 Mar 2006
Boring is probably the best way to describe this book. I read BodyCheck and thought it was humourous, intelligent, a little bit sexy, and actually looked at some real issues. So, made sense to get the next one, right?! Heck no!! This was pants.
The 'heroine' was a blind, whingey dreamer with practically NO brain cells, and the hero - ok, a nice guy but anyone else would have given up on her LONG before the end!! It was just too aggravating and irritating to be a good read!
Sorry but save your money - this is so not worth it! :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written, 22 Mar 2008
I have read tons of romantic novels my favourite authors being SEP, Rachel Gibson and Judith McNaught, and I can honestly say that Deirdre Martin's Fair Play (and Body Check) has put her on my must read list. This story was beautifully told and really did make me laugh and cry. She captured the "Italian famiglia" perfectly and yes there were some moments in the story where you might think that wouldn't happen but in no way does it spoil it. Michael and Teresa's story is much more than boy meets girl and definitely worth picking up.

3.0 out of 5 stars So So, 2 July 2007
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was my second Deirde Martin book and I have to admit I am slightly disappointed. I suppose because a lot of ppl told me how much like Rachel Gibson and Susan Donovan etc this author was - don't get me wrong the overall storylines are good, the characters are very likable, but there is just something missing, I am not 100% sure what, but I did not enjoy her first 2 books as much as I have done all of the books by the other authors.

But if you want something easy and quick to read then definately give it a go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but not the worst, 17 Jun 2004
By A Customer
Theresa Falconetti has to be one of the most annoying heroines ever.
I admit that going through a very harrowing ordeal will wreak havoc to a person, but that doesn't stop her from forming a realationship with a total loser, who doesn't even turn up to her father's funeral, whilst, waiting in the wings, is the most perfect guy she will ever find (Michael Dante) is constantly rejected on the grounds that she doesn't date Italian guys. Eevn though Theresa is Italian herself.
I know that she is fictional, but she really irked me and she didn't deserves the hero (who could do much better)
Other than the heroine, the book isn't all that bad and I'm looking forward to TOTAL RUSH which will feature Micheal's cousin Gemma. I enjoyed BODY CHECK the previous book to this much better and I would rate that as 5 stars.
Read that first, and then read this if you like annoying and whiny heroines.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairs fair, 21 Jan 2007
A. O'Brien "Authorette" (Sheffield England) - See all my reviews
For those expecting a rip roaring sequel to Body Check I can understand some dissapointment with Fair Play. If you have never doubted yourself you may find Theresa very irritating, but if you know what it is like to be confused by your feelings and then add in a previous HUGE error of judgement, then you become like Theresa. I willed her all the way thru the book to see the light, even though I knew she would in the end. Not fantastic, but still very enjoyable for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as the first book, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Fair Play (New York Blades) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the first book of this series, I was excited to start the second one although it took me over a year to get around to getting a copy of it.

I had quite high expectations so I'm not surprised that I was a little disappointed with this book. It took a little while to actually get going, with not as much fun in the sack as the first story. But the romance story of the book was lovely, I was a bit annoyed with the main character Theresa as she seemed to be so sure of what she didn't want in a man that she instead fell in love with someone who treated her like dirt and she couldn't see it. This book focuses quite heavily on the families of the characters and shows how family dynamics can play a big part in your life.

The book was quite short and didn't take too long to finish. I really did enjoy the romance part of the story, but it was nice to have a bit of hockey running through the whole way too! I can appreciate the humour behind some of the hockey things as my boys play hockey so we spend a lot of time around cold ice rinks and other hockey players! I spent a lot of time smiling as I was reading enjoying parts of the story a lot, but there was one point where I was in tears too, the author seems to really be able to tug on my heart strings!

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 3 Jun 2009
Bought it for a presant for my friend and came really quickly - book was brilliant would definately use this seller again!

Fair Play (New York Blades)
Fair Play (New York Blades) by Deirdre Martin