4.0 out of 5 stars Very successful present
Published on 8 Aug. 2010 by zoeoli

1.0 out of 5 stars Experiments - Very, very tame, dull and obvious. Shame.
Just bought this recently for my two girls ages 7 and 8.

Published on 27 Feb. 2012 by Jim Bob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Experiments - Very, very tame, dull and obvious. Shame., 27 Feb. 2012
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
Just bought this recently for my two girls ages 7 and 8.

Got it out yesterday ready for an afternoon of experiments and fun (I hoped my girls would like it too!) but, well - I read through the experiments to try and find one that we could do together, but as I worked through the book of experiments to find a good one, I was amazed at how dull the experiments are.

I figured, "okay, I'm a grown up, maybe the girls will enjoy these, I'll play along"...... after 2 goes at two experiments, both of my girls looked at me with disgust and said "is that it?" "Is that all there is to do?" ....... "yes, sorry girls, I expected "making an iceberg" to involve more than just putting an ice cube in a glass of water too" They just laughed at how basic and dull the experiments are.

Another is "put a spoon of coffee into some warm water - see it dissolve" Seriously!! That's it!

Then do the same with sand.

Watch it NOT dissolve..... WOW!

I have to also agree with all the comments about buying some vinegar, baking soda, food colouring and lemon juice and doing it yourself - there really is nothing to this set at all.

I also agree that it is therefore overpriced and not good value for money.

My biggest gripe of all though is that the experiments are just very, very tame, dull and obvious and really wouldn't be of much interest to your average 3 or 4 year old, certainly not to the recommended age group of "8 plus"!!

It won't be coming out of the cupboard again....

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have bought all the contents myself for a fiver., 27 Dec. 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
I don't usually get around to reviewing products but I felt compelled to do so with this box of tat.

Bought this for my 7 year old who loves making potions. I know this states age 8+ but the instruction booklet is overly complicated with far too much text and drawings - needs to be much simpler.
Quality of contents extremely poor, test tube holder made of cardboard so useless once it's got wet (and it will). Tacky, cheap items which, as my title suggests, you would do better to buy individually for a fiver. The box itself was huge - obviously belies the tiny amount of contents. Lots of the experiments too complicated. Best bit for my daughter was wearing the science goggles. Do yourself a favour and don't waste the best part of 20 pounds!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very successful present, 8 Aug. 2010
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
My 6-year old loves "making potions" and has been asking for a chemistry set for ages, but I couldn't find one to suit his age, so in the end I opted for Kitchen Chemistry as a birthday present. I have to say that from my point of view, you don't get an awful lot for the money. In fact, it would be very easy to find the same experiments on the internet and put together the necessary equipment for next to nothing. Having said that, it did make a wonderful present and he has been really excited and interested in it all. Very educational and great fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money !, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
This is rubbish and a total waste of money .... no ingredients included, you will have to go out and buy baking soda, vinegar etc. if you don't already have.

If you have vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice etc. just look at basic kitchen science experients on the internet (youtube is good) and save yourself a lot of money !!!

Very poor

1.0 out of 5 stars The power of baking soda an vinegar, 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
I try to write something helpful about stuff - on the basis that - I base my buying decisions on reviews.....

I also try to be frank when I buy something that - in my view - is a real pile of poo.

So when I say - buy some baking soda - food colouring and vinegar - possibly lemon juice too if you feel like really splashing out.... miss out the twenty quid on this tat set - and ask google what you can do with the above stuff in the kitchen with an 8 yr old on a wet boxing day - you will feel much better than you would if you saw the above ingredients being used without the help of the aforementioned tat set - thinking - should I report this to the fraud squad....

Thats probably not very plain speaking is it - I hope you catch my drift though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a budding scientist, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
On the whole reasonable quality parts and supply of bits. Bought for a 6 year old, who copes with the experiments under supervision.
This does rely on having other household goods to hand from ice to bicarb of soda. So be aware reading through the booklet BEFORE the present is given to a child may help ensure there are the necessary bits available before your young scientist ends up dissapointed.
I still need to remember to buy some red cabbage! Taking the experiments a couple at a time means this is not just a 5 minute wonder and there is scope to return and re-do some of the experiments again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than useless, 8 Dec. 2014
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
From the box it looks quite exciting, but I dread my daughter wanting to play with this, as it always ends up disappointing. As others have mentioned, all the key things are not actually included, as while most are not uncommon, we had to buy most specially (e.g. large bottle of malt vinegar - not sure balsamic would give the same results....)

However, what is worse is the overall quality of what is in the box is worse than useless. There is an 'activity mat' which is basically a smallish rolled-up poster. You are supposed to work on this to protect the work-surface. However, when unrolled, it doesn't sit flat, so actually anything placed on it is more likely to spill anyway. You are supposed to record results on the mat with a dry-wipe pen. Overlooking the fact you are using the mat to work on, and the pen is rubbish, you will either wipe the results with your hand, or spill something on them. A normal notepad would be far more practical. The test tube holder is made of cardboard. This is pretty rubbish as it doesn't hold the test-tubes very well. But worse, you can't actually see the contents when they are in the holder - for example to watch something dissolve or add a certain amount of liquid. There is some food colouring included, but this is powdered and has to be mixed (much easier to just buy some cheap food colouring while you are shopping for malt vinegar). There is a measuring beaker, but the graduations are moulded rather than printed, so fairly difficult to read.

If it actually worked, the experiments themselves are pretty dull.

The goggles are nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and of limited use, 8 Jan. 2012
H. Cole - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
For your money you do not get much. there is probably £5 worth of kit here and £4 of that is for the goggles.
A cardboard test tube holder which is next to useless once it gets a bit damp.
Uninspiring experiments, e.g. mix oil and water than add detergent or add lemon juice to a cut apple. You hardly need this kit to do that (or the goggles).

Please don't waste your money.

Look up some interesting experiments on the internet or get a book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much better, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
Oh Dear! The box promised so much but the contents disappointed. a book of 'experiments' contained some exceptionally lame things to try at home. I found that most of the things were either a) boring b) very boring, or c) already (unwittingly) done as part of kids helping in the kitchen. Ir ealise that health and safety things have to be considered but adding 'salt to water' hardly constitues an 'experiment'!

Wish I'd had reviewed first and then Google more fun stuff, even the 'Volcano' requires you to build the volcano from air-drying modelling clay first (which you have to purchase).

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen good for when kids learn to become more patient., 16 Feb. 2015
MoreChablis (God Waiting Room, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
I bought my first John Adams (Slime box) at Christmas for my 8 yrs old. He loved playing it... A great way to get them off Xbox and Minecraft etc. And a way to interact and teach children... I've now bought 5 more different boxes to use for when when the weather is bad and we can't go out an play. And have looked through the boxes/instructions, they all look as good to use as the Slime box. I will introduce the Kitchen Chemistry after using the other boxes and my son gets into taking time over experiment, as its more 'testing' than 'slime and 'goo'..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›