4.0 out of 5 stars Very successful present
Published on 8 Aug 2010 by zoeoli

1.0 out of 5 stars Experiments - Very, very tame, dull and obvious. Shame.
Just bought this recently for my two girls ages 7 and 8.

Published on 27 Feb 2012 by Jim Bob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Experiments - Very, very tame, dull and obvious. Shame., 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
Just bought this recently for my two girls ages 7 and 8.

Got it out yesterday ready for an afternoon of experiments and fun (I hoped my girls would like it too!) but, well - I read through the experiments to try and find one that we could do together, but as I worked through the book of experiments to find a good one, I was amazed at how dull the experiments are.

I figured, "okay, I'm a grown up, maybe the girls will enjoy these, I'll play along"...... after 2 goes at two experiments, both of my girls looked at me with disgust and said "is that it?" "Is that all there is to do?" ....... "yes, sorry girls, I expected "making an iceberg" to involve more than just putting an ice cube in a glass of water too" They just laughed at how basic and dull the experiments are.

Another is "put a spoon of coffee into some warm water - see it dissolve" Seriously!! That's it!

Then do the same with sand.

Watch it NOT dissolve..... WOW!

I have to also agree with all the comments about buying some vinegar, baking soda, food colouring and lemon juice and doing it yourself - there really is nothing to this set at all.

I also agree that it is therefore overpriced and not good value for money.

My biggest gripe of all though is that the experiments are just very, very tame, dull and obvious and really wouldn't be of much interest to your average 3 or 4 year old, certainly not to the recommended age group of "8 plus"!!

It won't be coming out of the cupboard again....

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have bought all the contents myself for a fiver., 27 Dec 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
I don't usually get around to reviewing products but I felt compelled to do so with this box of tat.

Bought this for my 7 year old who loves making potions. I know this states age 8+ but the instruction booklet is overly complicated with far too much text and drawings - needs to be much simpler.
Quality of contents extremely poor, test tube holder made of cardboard so useless once it's got wet (and it will). Tacky, cheap items which, as my title suggests, you would do better to buy individually for a fiver. The box itself was huge - obviously belies the tiny amount of contents. Lots of the experiments too complicated. Best bit for my daughter was wearing the science goggles. Do yourself a favour and don't waste the best part of 20 pounds!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very successful present, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
My 6-year old loves "making potions" and has been asking for a chemistry set for ages, but I couldn't find one to suit his age, so in the end I opted for Kitchen Chemistry as a birthday present. I have to say that from my point of view, you don't get an awful lot for the money. In fact, it would be very easy to find the same experiments on the internet and put together the necessary equipment for next to nothing. Having said that, it did make a wonderful present and he has been really excited and interested in it all. Very educational and great fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money !, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
This is rubbish and a total waste of money .... no ingredients included, you will have to go out and buy baking soda, vinegar etc. if you don't already have.

If you have vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice etc. just look at basic kitchen science experients on the internet (youtube is good) and save yourself a lot of money !!!

Very poor

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a budding scientist, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
On the whole reasonable quality parts and supply of bits. Bought for a 6 year old, who copes with the experiments under supervision.
This does rely on having other household goods to hand from ice to bicarb of soda. So be aware reading through the booklet BEFORE the present is given to a child may help ensure there are the necessary bits available before your young scientist ends up dissapointed.
I still need to remember to buy some red cabbage! Taking the experiments a couple at a time means this is not just a 5 minute wonder and there is scope to return and re-do some of the experiments again.

1.0 out of 5 stars The power of baking soda an vinegar, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
I try to write something helpful about stuff - on the basis that - I base my buying decisions on reviews.....

I also try to be frank when I buy something that - in my view - is a real pile of poo.

So when I say - buy some baking soda - food colouring and vinegar - possibly lemon juice too if you feel like really splashing out.... miss out the twenty quid on this tat set - and ask google what you can do with the above stuff in the kitchen with an 8 yr old on a wet boxing day - you will feel much better than you would if you saw the above ingredients being used without the help of the aforementioned tat set - thinking - should I report this to the fraud squad....

Thats probably not very plain speaking is it - I hope you catch my drift though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and of limited use, 8 Jan 2012
H. Cole - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
For your money you do not get much. there is probably 5 worth of kit here and 4 of that is for the goggles.
A cardboard test tube holder which is next to useless once it gets a bit damp.
Uninspiring experiments, e.g. mix oil and water than add detergent or add lemon juice to a cut apple. You hardly need this kit to do that (or the goggles).

Please don't waste your money.

Look up some interesting experiments on the internet or get a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Chemestry, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
Gave to my 6year old grandaughter on saturday, she was keen to start work straight away, on went the googles. I had bought some of the extra items of food needed already, but I would suggest you read the instruction book through before giving to the child and decide what experiments you are going to do and prepare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen Chemistry Set, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
Bought this for my grandsons seventh birthday ~ he had been asking for a chemistry set for quite some time but until now we decided that he was too young.

His face was a picture of delight when he unwrapped his present ~ he couldn't wait to get started and immediately put the goggles on.

Definitely a hit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: John Adams Kitchen Chemistry Set (Toy)
It looks like just the business for a young lad just starting out on chemistry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›