Format: DVD|Change

on 10 July 2009
Prison Break is one of the one most exciting shows to hit TV in recent years. I am a big fan of 24, but in the last few seasons have began to repeat themselves and become a bit stale. Prison Break is the exact opposite.

If you don't know Prison Break (I won't put in spoilers) - Michael Scofield gets himself sent to Prison in order to break out his brother from the inside, who Michael believes has been falsely convicted of murder. A cat and mouse game them ensues as the brothers try to clear their names.

It is one of the most compelling tv shows I have ever watched and takes me back to thos early seasons of 24, when it was fresh and exciting. However, Prison Break manages to maintain this suspense through all 4 seasons.

The DVD boxset is excellently presented, comprising all 4 seasons including the feature length final episode. It contains all the dvds you would find in the individual season boxsets, so for special features please see the individual seasons pages.

This is one of the best dvd purchases I have made. Once you reach the end you will want to go back to the start to remember how it all began. And you will be hooked all over again. This is a show you can watch over and over again (I'm on my 3rd run through now).

To summarise, for £50, you will not find a more exciting dvd package. The only downside to this show is that it has ended.

Addition - In answer to a lot of questions on the board, The Final Break IS included in this boxset. It is in with the season 4 dvds.
55 comments|145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I'm a copywriter by day and although a different discipline, I remember watching this thinking - wow... the people who wrote this, hat's off to them. It must have a been a nightmare. All the little details in the plans; the research involved. In all honesty this series is quite a feat.

I'm a fan of box sets as I hate having to wait a whole week to see what happens next, and I had been waiting for this box set for a long time. When I saw it in my local HMV for about £40 I thought I'd buy it. I watched the whole thing over 3 days when I was holed up in bed, off work ill, when all that swine flu thing broke out (whatever happened to that? Wasn't it meant to be, like, the end of the world or something) and I wasn't disappointed.

The formula and story is simple: The lead character - Michael - is a genius and has a brother in jail. He's convinced he's innocent and so gets himself thrown in jail so he can break him out with a fiendishly clever and intricate plan that he has put together. And this is basically the premise for the whole show; they get in a tight spot - Michael the genius has to figure a way out and does so using his superior brain to outsmart enemies, form plans and manufacture all kinds of bizarre tools, bombs, decoys and other cool stuff.

On the whole, the series is good. Perhaps not amazing, but good. It starts as the name suggests in a prison but by the end of the series you're in a completely different world; a world of shadowy government agencies, military corporations and private armies etc; the story certainly manages to evolve well and keeps you wanting to know more and more - more so than a lot of other shows - with little glimpses of the unfolding story here and there with new threads and characters being introduced teasingly and very well.

The twists are good and work well, the characters complex and believable, and on the whole, the series is fairly believable too - you have to take one or two leaps of the imagination here and there perhaps, but there's a fairly plausible feel about things overall. I at no point found myself going -'' yeah, right...''

A few things did annoy me though. That was Michael's brother, Linc's, exceedingly huge head (I don't know why but it really bugged me - particularly when he had to wear baseball caps that didn't fit - the strap at the back straining on the last notch) and unfortunately some of the acting. Namely again Michael's brother Linc and also Tea Bag's annoying southern drawl, which I found rather put on.

So what can you expect for your money? Well the 90 odd quid I see here is perhaps a bit excessive, but if you get it for around the £40 mark like I did, you'll get your moneys worth and then some. Season 1 is very good and sets things up nicely. Season 2 is a bit of a let down, and gets a bit boring. It'll leave you slightly nervous the series might have peaked and it doesn't really feel like a series (it was more of a transition for me - I think this stage of the story should have been condensed into a 4 series special or a movie or something) but Holly Vallance is in it, so that helps, and it's a necessary evil to set things up for season 3, which soon gets things back on track. Season 3 is excellent again and then there's season 4... Season 4 honestly has one or two episodes which are borderline the best thing I've ever seen on TV. The final plan or set piece is staggeringly complex so I won't give anything away and spoil it - but the amount of detail in some of the plans, the last one in particular.... wow... just... wow... better than Hollywood and Mission Impossible.

I refer you back to my opening sentences. The guys who wrote this have done an incredible job; the story, the plans, the details and planning involved in them are just incredible. This is Mc Guyver on steroids and the A-team multiplied by a thousand combined with Clint Eastwood's escape from Alcatraz and Tango & Cash... you'll know what I mean when you start watching. The writers deserve 5 stars, the series deserves 5 stars but for some reason I'm gonna give it 4. I blame Linc's Massive head.

If this was helpful at all please give it the thumbs up
77 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2010
Had this box set for Christmas mainly for my husband and didn't think I would watch it - how wrong could I be this does get you hooked the very first episode and goes on throughout with unexpected twists and developments. Yes OK it may be stretching reality somewhat but oh boy does it keep you on the edge. I am so glad we had the complete box set as I would have hated to have to wait for each week's episode and even worse the next season. We found ourselves watching 3 or more episodes in an evening.
What am I going to watch now? - nothing is going to come up to match this. I am just so sorry it has finished.
on 4 February 2011
cant stand watching any series when its on tv.
got the box set at an amazing low price.
Best series i watched for years.
on the last few episodes now, gutted its nearly over.........
on 22 July 2009
Right prison break began in 2005 and I have been with it through every season without missing an episode! It is truly amazing! Everyone can define their childhood by many things such as comic books games, mario, whatever and for me prison break has defined my teens! (im 21) This is a superb and utter pure geniuses work. The story is compelling and ever changing.

Two brothers must break out of prison and start a new life, seems easy but in no way is it! The puzzles and questions that are raised in this tv series keep you glued to this programme. If you have not seen it already your lucky! Buy it and watch it on a roll! I had to wait like a whole year before each series would come out. You have the chance to watch it in a marathon for £100!! Definate item for your dvd collection! I believe it also has the "FINAL BREAK" episode in it aswell meaning this is the most complete and unique collection of prison break to date. Go buy it!
on 28 December 2009
I was given prison break for christmas and started to watch it from start to
finish the show gets you drawn in so you have to carry on watching to the end
I am not a great fan of us tv shows apart from miami vice in the 80's
I NEVER watched it when it was on sky one but I read the reviews and they all
came up with the same answers GET IT !!!!
what a fantastic show
on 24 May 2012
No spoilers.

Season 1 is the best, very awesome.

Season 2, very interesting.

Season 3 is a whole new take on season 1 and very gripping.

Season 4 is probably the least interesting of them all to be honest but nevertheless watchable. The extra bit at the end is good though!

I have seen all seasons twice now over the past 2 years. I marathoned all seasons both times because I couldn't stop watching. Every episode is exciting and tense and has something impressive. You will find yourself saying 00's catchphrases throughout including, 'woah, that's so cool' and 'totally awesome'. Michael Scofield is one smart cookie. He is also one very gorgeous cookie and seeing his face on screen for so many hours was nothing short of a personal heaven. Just don't tell the other half that...
on 22 August 2009
Absolutely the best value for money set of CDs available today. (& I've bought LOTS)
The plot has been well covered so all I'll add is that the unexpected twists and turns are guaranteed to keep you up very late, the scriptwriters did an awesome job, this series is breathtaking from start to finish.
BUY IT!
on 5 February 2011
I was told about this series from a colleague. I was sceptical whether it'd be any good especially given my thorough enjoyment of the "24" box set starring Keiffer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. I can happily report that having watched the entire 4 seasons of Prison Break - I have not been disappointed. The whole thing has been very engaging. The 3rd season was a little weak but season 4 more than makes up for this slight lapse The box set is very much worth the money and it's a joy to watch without having ads interrupting the fluidity of events. I have no regrets purchasing this box set. I have finished my viewing of the entire series - life now feels a little emptier....
on 5 September 2009
I don't tend to watch many American TV series, but this caught my eye when it first came out and I've been completely and utterly hooked since. The first three seasons were fabulous, and every week I'd watch it, biting my nails, shouting at the screen, covering my eyes and literally sitting on the edge of my seat. I've seen it quite a few times now and it never fails to thrill. The final season was a bit of a let down, but it's worth watching and there's no way I would have missed it. It will make you angry, it will make you laugh and cry, so just sit back and enjoy a rollercoaster ride with the wonderful cast of characters............oh, and don't take it too seriously.