Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 2 May 2009
Wow! Blow-your-socks-off stuff once again from the Bristol Quartet.

Is it Jazz? Is it Rock? Do I care? Nope.

The Blessing Boys create a wonderful sound world encompassing American 70's cop series Funk, Dance-inspired beats, dreamy spacey psychedelia, anthemic build-ups and not just a small amount of nod'n'wink humour.

Virtuosic playing from all 4 corners, but it doesn't add up to cerebral noodlings or look-at-me over-showmanship. Instead the result is joyous and vibrant, with tone for miles, and depth.

Comparisons are made with Acoustic Ladyland, Polar Bear and the likes. This is LAZY pigeon-holing. Clive Deamer is quite a different animal to Seb Rochford and Get The Blessing are a beast unto themselves.

This recording does a pretty fine job of capturing the energy of a live encounter with these guys (something that doesn't often happen with recordings) but, if you do get a chance to see them play live, sell your grandmother to do it.
on 3 September 2009
I hesitated to review Bugs In Amber because, as with their first offering ,All Is Yes, it took me good few playings for to fully appreciate it. In fact I felt a little disappointed initially after getting to love the first album with its harder driven and more chaotic art-rock type of almost free jazz and fusion of genres. But I'm glad that I stuck with Bugs in Amber because it offers a more subtle , even sophisticated form of what they're capable of as musicians, without losing any of the experimental intrigue. I find that Bugs in Amber is best enjoyed through headphones, as there's a lot going on that might otherwise be missed. It is a bit less raucous than is All Is Yes.

As with their first album, I highly recommend Bugs In Amber as one that will engage anyone with a lively,open mind who also enjoys the type music offered by ,e.g. The Bad Plus or Polar Bear. Also producing the same type of punchy new-jazz, do check out the band called Zed-U as well.
on 31 May 2012
Not unlike Frank Zapp's stab at jazz funk in the 70,s but without Zappa's self indulent pretentions, I can actually enjoy this without turning it off half way through thingking what a pile of c--p.I would give this album five stars if it were not for the fact that OCDC by the same outfit is so much better and along with the Black Keys "Brother" possible the best album I have bought in a decade.
on 28 December 2015
GTB always seem to produce albums at the cutting edge & this is no exception. Not everything work, but some stand out tracks like Bugs, Tarp & the opening track make this another 4 star effort
on 6 January 2010
We saw them at the Swanage Jazz Festival and have since acquired all their CDs. Bought this as a Christmas gift to spread the word. Go see and hear!!!
on 7 November 2010
Another excellent album from Get The Blessing. Avant-garde Rock Jazz for modern times. They dress in smart suits too.
on 22 May 2013
I already have OC DC and I just love this band and can't wait to see them live somewhere in Britain
on 12 June 2009
A change of name, The Blessing added "Get" in front to avoid confusion with a punk band, but no reduction in the mind-blowing inventiveness of this Bristol foursome. The rhythm section also play in Portishead but this is as far from that as you can get. Forget categorisation, because this band does not (try to) fit into the straight-ahead-jazz fraternity's desire to peg anyone not post-bop as not worthy. Whether it can be labelled or not, this is hard driving, beat driven, melodic jazz. Different from album one, but just as good. I have Bleach cake, from that one, on hard rotation and there are a few on Bugs that may join it soon. Imagine Cream if Clapton had played horns or Jack White producing Clarence Clemons taking up with Five Peace Band. I hear Arun Ghosh; I hear Bill Bruford and Barbara Thompson; I hear Steve Reich played by The Clash. Bless The Getting!
on 25 September 2014