1,201 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and works perfectly
This is my third HDD in 5 years and is designed to give back up to a Vista PC with a Western Digital Mybook already doing the same for another PC.

Published on 28 Aug 2009 by Cheshire Cat

1.0 out of 5 stars Drive broke after 1 week
Drive worked fine for 1 week or so, then the drive refused to power up, but I needed the data I had transferred across, so I opened up the external case and took out the drive so I could power it up via my PC internally. I managed to rescue about 60% of data but I ended up loosing the remaining 40%

I have ressurected the drive about 4 times by creating a new...
Published on 3 Jan 2010 by T. P. Nixon

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and works perfectly, 28 Aug 2009
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate Expansions 1TB External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive for PC (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First of all, it comes fully protected in a stout box with protective film over its glossy black finish. Sits flat on 4 rubber feet unlike the Mybook that is expected to sit upright. I have also used the Seagate upright and it seemed quite happy though. Glossy black finish may not be the best to avoid showing fingermarks but then, how often will you move your HDD?

The Seagate is simplicity itself to set up. Attach the mains cord (it uses a mains adaptor that has two or three pin adaptors which are very easy to switch) and then fit the USB lead and off you go. It launches the registration form in which you only have to add your contact details and it is then ready to us. No formatting needed on a Windows machine, you can drag and drop files straight away.

Very quiet (quieter than my Mybook), it has a green light that is initially on to show power on and then flashes during file transfer. Not as funky as the Mybook twin flashing blue bars but does that matter? Down to personal choice.

File transfer is as good as the Mybook and I have found no heat build up to speak of.Power efficient,it has the excellent Seagate reputation so hopefully durability won't be an issue. This unit is also smaller than I expected, has a quality finish and will sit discretely on any desk.

So, given the proviso that I would always recommend that, before buying, potential buyers check dimensions and finish of any peripherals that are intended to remain visible (assessment of appearance is such a personal consideration) , I would have to say that I prefer this unit to my 8 month old Mybook and as it also represents excellent value for money, happily give it 5/5 and an unequivocal recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good External Hard Drive! Bargain!, 16 July 2009
Mr. J. A. Wilson (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This is my first external hard drive and i was a bit cautious as to which one to buy but decided on this one. When it arrived I opened it to find its shell to be of a sleek design that lays flat rather than vertical. I had read about vertical external hard drives and there have been horror stories about loosing all the data if it was knocked and with 500gb you wouldnt want that!

It is also easy to set up simply plug into laptop/PC and away it goes! Nothing to set up and ease of use.

The plug gives you the option of a U.S. adapter or a UK adapter so it can be used world wide! I am extremely happy with my purchase and would highly recomend this product.

Happy customer! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 1TB hard drive EXCELLENT!!!!!, 18 July 2009
Mr. S. Karim - See all my reviews
Brilliant Hard drive. Have used it heavily and it hasnt let me down once. Quiet and left on for several days yet still stays cool. Pretty thing to look at too but the usual 3.5" size.

Excellent value for money as fast as you would expect from USB 2.0. If transferring 45gb it can take up to 40mins but thats not bad considering its a large amount.

Overall very pleased and a DEFINATE reccomendation from me. Reliable and a stable hard drive with a large capacity which anyone will have trouble filling up!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, 1 Sep 2009
Cjl Byrne "zeebs" (n.yorks,uk) - See all my reviews
im not a computer geek,so i needed something simple to back up my pics and music etc...easy intructions to use and plug in go.Believe me if i can use it,anyone can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 13 Aug 2009
I've had a wide variety of external hard disks over the years and, as a previous commenter notes, hard disks are hard disks... some inherently seem to have problems but generally they do what they do and it's a question of how stably, quickly and quietly they do their thing.

I've had this now for 2 weeks or so and although, as also noted previously, it does need initial formatting to run on a Mac, that's easily done and I was able to combine the contents of several older HDDs onto this one big fella, which was what I got it for.

It's definitely the quietest drive I've ever had and the transfer rates are what you'd expect for USB2, so no problems there.

Time of course will tell as to its stability but so far I'm extremely pleased with it and at this price would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone considering the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, stylish external hard drive., 1 Sep 2009
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have so far been more than happy with my Seagate external desktop drive, which I have been using for a week or so now. It's in a sleek black box the size of a medium sized paperback book.

It really is simple to use. As the advertisement says it is plug and play - there is no software to install. You just plug it in the USB port and the drive boots up as an extra drive.

It did have a little bit of a tantrum with me trying to register it/ Basically it just didn't want it to happen, but that doesn't really worry me I just won't bother to register it.

Yes, it is a little bit of a shame that it will only run on mains electricity but neither does that bother me unduly.

It's difficult to say much more about it. I am using it on windows XP. It works perfectly. It is quiet and efficient. Transfer of data is as fast as you could wish. It has a decent 500 GB hard drive capacity.

In other words - it does exactly what it says on the tin!

1.0 out of 5 stars Drive broke after 1 week, 3 Jan 2010
T. P. Nixon (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews

I have ressurected the drive about 4 times by creating a new partition only for it to now die on me and the infamous 'click of death' is now heard (I think it sounds like someone in an old rocking chair!)

Although these 1TB drives are an excellent price, it is not worth the hassle and messing around if you get a dodgy one. The external case is not designed to be opened, because you break off various tabs, so I hope I can still return it to Amazon and get just a new drive (Barracuda 7200.12)

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly looks good on your desk, 6 July 2009
Hard-drives are hard-drives. All we want them to do is not to fail. I can't give advice on possible failure-rates for this, but all hard-drives seem to have a small proportion of them (especially if they fall off the desk!). Just remember that multiple back-ups are good, so I suggest any really _vital_ backup files also get burned to a DVD-R or two, as well as going onto the Seagate. The 1TB Seagate External certainly look reliable and sleek, though - with a hard mirror-polished surface that sits very attractively on the desk. Perhaps _too_ attractively, and if you have small children around it might be better off in a drawer, where it'll be safer (no chance it'll be used a mirror by a toddler, no cables to yank it off the desk with) and you won't have to dust it either. My new drive was instantly recognised by Windows 7, which swiftly installed generic drivers. The Seagate External showed up in Windows Explorer with about 980Gb of free space on it, plus a folder with registration information. It didn't need to be formatted, being already formatted as a standard NTFS drive. Transfer rates seem fairly standard - a test 40Gb took about 45 minutes to be transferred directly from an older external drive to this one, via my monitor's built-in USB 2.0 hub. Everything went smoothly. I'm always a little suspicious of cheap power blocks on anything made in the Far East, and this one looked a little odd (it has dual fittings for the UK three-prong and European two-prong electricity sockets) but it didn't get noticeably hot during the transfer. Overall - it looks great, works quietly, the power-block seems efficient, the transfer rates are standard, and at the moment the price is certainly right.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 Weeks before I got infamous "click of death", 24 Mar 2010
Dr. J. R. Swainston (UK) - See all my reviews
Like others I wish I'd read a few more reviews on this product before I bought it.

For the first couple of weeks the drive performed fine. Now I'm getting the infamous "click of death" problem with this drive. Try googling "seagate expansion click of death" for more gripes on this.

The drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting when idle, and then goes into this maddening clicking routine.

Given this is a backup drive for me I've now lost any confidence in it's ability to be reliable should I need to restore anything. Replacing the USB cable supplied with a better one I had lying around has helped reduce the problems with it freezing/clicking/disconnecting, but not remove them.

Personally I'm trying to return the device, and will look elsewhere for an alternative if possible.

I could not recommend this device to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of Mind, 27 Aug 2009
Mr. Michael Chapman (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
After many years of teaching computing and IT I finally decided I should practise what I preached and set up a backup system for my home computers. This drive has made it easy to take regular backups of my computers without having to organise racks of CDs etc. (Why do you think I never had a system!) The 1Tb capacity should see me out even though I do remember a certain Bill Gates wondering how anyone would ever use more than 540Kb. The installation was intuitive and simple and the drive works well with both Vista and XP.