Hit

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Overview
It is impossible to put together an overview of such a large body of work as Peter Gabriel's without onitting huge chunks. Hit however manages to include the well know tracks and also gives a great insight to the slightly more "arty" side of Peter Gabriel. The second CD sub-titled Miss is fantastic with some wonderful atmospheric tracks. Overall it is a reasonble...
Published on 15 Nov 2003 by Norman Maclean

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Music - Bad Sonics
There are plenty of reviews about the music, so I thought I'd offer a review about the actual sound, speaking as someone who has many of these tracks where applicable on earlier issues of the albums (including the excellent remastered issues).

Well, here we have the tracks necessarily mastered again for this compilation album, by Tony Cousins. And...
Published on 4 Jan 2008 by John Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 Jan 2012
B. Ellis (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
I made the mistake of buying New Blood as a first Peter Gabriel CD which I hated.
However several very helpful reviewers recommended the above disc as I used to enjoy his original works on the radio - and they were so right I should have bought this in the first place!

4.0 out of 5 stars Er, where's "Family Snapshot"?, 21 Sep 2011
R. Kay "omniphiliac" (West Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. But it's lacking "Family Snapshot" which is like issuing a Pink Floyd Greatest Hits CD without "Shine on..".

A missed opportunity and an odd decision.

Rant over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Compilation, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
Superb double CD overview of his entire career, right up to and including his last studio album, Up.

Contains several rarities and different versions, not just all the singles.

Very good compilation, very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits (but not a best of), 29 Oct 2009
Mr. A. Ruff - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
A good introduction to the man's music. To be honest I prefer his album stuff to his singles (some are just irritating) so this wouldn't be my choice of all his best songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigrun, 8 Dec 2006
S. Matthiesen-campbell (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
I love this CD and actually at this moment I have it on repeat (for the last 4 hours) so that just goes to show how much I love it! It has classcs such as "Solsbury HIll" but also beautiful melodies such as "Blood of Eden" (I had not heard this beautiful song before and had this song on repeat for 1 hour!!! I really must love it! THere are other songs like "Red Rain" "More than this". I love this CD so much I have actually not even got round to hearing CD2 because I cant stop CD1 yet....so there is more to come! I love...this CD so all of you buy it and you will see what I mean. Although I am probably the only mad woman out there to have it on repeat for hours on end!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 28 Nov 2003
Spinalpap4u (Monmouth, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
One can only assume that this was compiled in the belief that most people would already have "Shaking the Tree" therefore change was required as several key tracks from the earlier "Best of" release are left off what is now called the "definitive" collection .......for now no doubt.
The two discs undoubtedly have their high points but the collection is certainly eclectic and in my view includes too many gimmicky tracks - for example off OVO and the one-off albums that simply cannot - by a long way - be called the best tracks Gabriel has written. Oddly the European version of this album includes "Family and the Fishing Net" and "I don't remember", which I would have much prefered to be on the UK version, together with something off "Plays Live", which has to be PG's best collection of tracks released and most of which easily surpass the studio versions. "Family Snapshot" off that album would have been my choice here.
Although my criticism of "Shaking the Tree" was that there was simply too much off "So" given its single disc format surely "In your eyes" ought to feature on any genuinely definitive collection. One further gripe is that the original version of "Here Comes the Flood" off PG1, which is infinitely superior to the solo piano version from "Shaking the Tree"included again here, seems to have been permanently discarded. The inclusion of "A different Drum" instead of "Zaar" from "Passion" is, however, to be applauded.
The major plus points of this collection are the amount of material included for the price and the first rate sound quality of all the material - DIY excepted which no amount of studio trickery will prevent from being murky.
Maybe the fans should choose the tracks next time rather than the record company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Dec 2014
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
Brilliant compilation from one of the best british performers, nobody quite like Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars hit, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
Very happy with my CD arrived early in good condition

5.0 out of 5 stars High-Quality Peter Gabriel Hits, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
This collection by Peter Gabriel is definitely a collection full of great hits. Some of my personal favorite songs included in this greatest hits cd set are:
Solsbury Hill
Shock the Monkey
Sledgehammer
Games Without Frontiers
Digging in the Dirt
Steam
Lovetown

My overall favorite song is "Sledgehammer" because he cleverly phrases the lyrics in a way to express what he plans to be to his lover in a tasteful and unique manner. "Games Without Frontiers" came in as my second most favorite Peter Gabriel song because he expresses great talent in making a political message in how idealogies between different countries can sometimes cause a challenge in diplomatic relations. I also like how he wisely sings the lyrics in the song "Dressing Up in Costumes, Playing Silly Games". I also believe that the song sends a thoughtful and positive message about looking past the external appearance of someone and instead making a open-minded observation based on what is picked up from their personality and spirit. The greatest hits collection is a high-quality and strong cd set that is a good collection to have if you enjoy 80's music, Phil Collins, Genesis, pop music, and/or rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and moving music, 11 May 2010
Mr. Dermot J. O'Raw "DJ" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hit (Audio CD)
I love Peter Gabriel and this collection will appeal to anyone. My only problem is the 2nd CD skips on the last two tracks. I thought it might just be the copy I had so I purchased it again. However same thing again, problem with the master copy perhaps????

Hit