4.0 out of 5 stars This isn't the next in the series...
Published on 29 July 2009 by M. Naylor

3.0 out of 5 stars GH: Smash Hits...Disappointing
As a fairly new player to the Guitar Hero series (i recently got World Tour as a gift!) i thought GH: Smash Hits would be a worthy purchase, being able to play the cream-of-the crop of songs from previous GH releases with the full band. The song list is pretty decent, but they still failed to include some songs i thought surely would make the cut, hmmm!
Like other...
Published on 7 July 2009 by J. Morton

4.0 out of 5 stars This isn't the next in the series..., 29 July 2009
M. Naylor (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits - Game Only (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
...so don't approach it like it is. Its a spin off, and its obvious upon playing it that it is, but I don't think its a bad thing. Yes it could have been released as DLC, and yes they are milking Guitar Hero, but no matter how much you say this it doesn't actually tell anyone how the game plays. I got the game because I wanted to play some of my old favourites from the franchise in a band and in better quality, and that is what I got. There were some songs I'd thought should have been on it, but thats personal preferance, and I do think a good job was done with the set list regardless, and I certainly enjoyed it more than GH:WT.

I would recommend this game to people who prefer to play the guitar as opposed to drums or singing, as the songs were picked for the original games because of the guitar parts, and so the same is true here (Probably why I prefer it partly to WT). The tapping system is part way between GH3 and GH:WT (in terms of difficulty) which is almost perfect in my opinion and the note charts have definatly been made more challenging for a majority of the songs on here.

I was slightly disapointed that GHTunes downloadable content wasn't avaliable on here, but then I didn't buy the game for that, and I think if you want to purchase a first or long lasting GH game, go with World Tour, because thats not what this game was made for, only get this if you actually like the songs, because thats pretty much all there is to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars GH: Smash Hits...Disappointing, 7 July 2009
J. Morton - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Like other people have mentioned, the entire game could have been released through downloadable content as either individual songs or as song packs (I hope they plan to release the songs that didn't make it onto the game as DLC!)
And that brings me onto a major feature not included in GH: Smash Hits...the GH Store and downloadable content. This has to be a huge ommision and one i can't see a reason for. Having purchased some DLC tracks i was very surprised the game did not recognise my DLC are support it in any way. (I haven't played Rock Band yet, but i hear that title has nailed this problem by allowing you to copy your tracks from one game to the HD and all games recognise DLC...Nice!) Guitar Hero as a series needs to start offering these kind of features where each GH title is compatible with the next or it will suffer against the competition.
Another irritation i had and a feature which i wish they included (or will include in the future) is the ability to take your BAND with you. I don't really want to spend time creating and editing my band each time i purchase a Guitar Hero game, when it could detect the save game and use the Band information (if you want it).

I have enjoyed playing along to the songs, as the track list is pretty decent, but with some features missing and some great songs not making the cut Guitar Hero: Smash Hits is a let down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game for hardcore fans and those who joined GH late, 24 Nov 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
For anyone who only picked up GH from World Tour onwards (or a complete beginner), this is a great purchase to play some of the most loved songs from the first generation of games with a more friendly game engine and better learning curve. The mix of songs is towards the heavier side, and it's definately more guitar based than any other instrument, but thats good in my opinion.

Hardcore GH gamers will also love this. Almost all the songs are FCable (100% full combo) with the exclusion of TTFAF (which only a handful of players will ever achieve) and being able to replay classics with a more forgiving engine and better charting is fantastic.

There isn't a heavy emphasis on storyline or unlockables, but the bare bones experience is good enough, as the songs and charts are nearly perfect. The only thing lacking is downloadable content, but given the price, it's still great value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disc broken :'(, 11 April 2014
Game works OK but three best songs (inc freebird!!!) make game crash when you try and load them. Make me sad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Blend of Songs`, 26 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We got this game and boy oh boy, we love it! Having just had my GH2 game not delivered was a bit miffed! GH Greatest Hits arrived and we could Rock Out to the best songs not only from 2 but "Through the fire and flames" on Drums? Superb. Different but Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant a must have.

ROCK ON!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Hero Greatest Hits, 9 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
my boyfriend enjoyed this game a lot as it has a good mix of old and new guitar hero tunes starting with tunes guitar hero 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Game that most milked the franchise and killed Red Octane, 15 Feb 2010
R. HELLER "Ryssie" (U.K) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Guitar Hero Greatest Hits or Smash Hits in the USA, is fun game but poorly implemented. The premise of this game is all the best songs from previous titles of the series (I - Areosmith) are included with Full Band support but the idea falls short of the fact that everyone has different musical preferences. You'll get songs like 'through the fire and flames' by Dragonforce & 'Free Bird' by Lynard skynard which is really taking the iconic tracks from the game but the poor use of exporting tracks and incompatibility with paid for DLC hurts this game. This is game what lead RedOctane on the road to shut down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Hits, 2 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Only owning an Xbox 360 I had never bought GH, GH2, GH Rock the 80's, GH Aerosmith. I know two of those were available I just prefer playing it to master tracks. Which is what stopped me from buying them and waiting for this to be released. Being one of the lucky ones to pre-order it on amazon when it was 25, having the songs that are available on earlier versions just for the guitar controller with full band support. I know they everyone has a different taste in music. But me, I like most the songs on the disc and agree to its Greatest Hits title, the only downside is some of the harder parts of some of the songs have been modified, which in turn makes them easier. The supposed reason for his is so they could include the drums in a way which the guitar parts wouldn't drown them out.
Still in my opinion a worthwhile purchase at 25. If you can pick it up as cheap as possible (I'd say no more than 30) defiantly get this addition to an amazing franchise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Have not played it, but for those who don't know the track listing, 17 May 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Naturally, I have not played this game due to its release date. However, since Amazon lacks the complete track listing for this game, I thought I'd post it for the ones that just came across this product. Keep in mind, these are all songs released in previous versions of Guitar Hero, only this time around, you can play any instrument.

Aerosmith "Back in the Saddle"
AFI "Miss Murder"
Alice in Chains "Them Bones"
Anthrax "Caught in a Mosh"
Avenged Sevenfold "Beast and the Harlot"
Blue Öyster Cult "Godzilla"
Boston "More Than a Feeling"
Danzig "Mother"
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water"
The Donnas "Take It Off"
DragonForce "Through the Fire and Flames"
The Exies "Hey You"
Extreme "Play With Me"
Foo Fighters "Monkey Wrench"
Franz Ferdinand "Take Me Out"
Heart "Barracuda"
Helmet "Unsung" (Live)
Incubus "Stellar"
Iron Maiden "The Trooper"
Jane's Addiction "Stop!"
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts "I Love Rock 'n Roll"
Judas Priest "Electric Eye"
Kansas "Carry On Wayward Son"
Kiss "Rock and Roll All Nite"
Lamb of God "Laid to Rest"
Living Colour "Cult of Personality"
Lynyrd Skynyrd "Free Bird"
Mötley Crüe "Shout at the Devil"
Nirvana "Heart-Shaped Box"
Ozzy Osbourne "Bark at the Moon"
Pantera "Cowboys from Hell" (Live)
Pat Benatar "Hit Me with Your Best Shot"
Poison "Nothin' but a Good Time"
The Police "Message in a Bottle"
Priestess "Lay Down"
Queen "Killer Queen"
Queens of the Stone Age "No One Knows"
Rage Against the Machine "Killing in the Name"
Ratt "Round and Round"
Reverend Horton Heat "Psychobilly Freakout"
Rush "YYZ"
Slayer "Raining Blood"
Stone Temple Pilots "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart"
The Sword "Freya"
Twisted Sister "I Wanna Rock"
Warrant "Cherry Pie"
White Zombie "Thunder Kiss '65"
Wolfmother "Woman"

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag this one, but overall, could have been better, 7 Jun 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Ok - First things first - 48 tracks with full band support for 24.99. Thats pretty good value in my opinion.

However, what I can't understand is why not release all of these tracks as downloadable content? World Tour has a music store built into it so why not use it? That way, people can download only the songs they really want.

And that leads me onto my next point - This game was meant to be a collection of all the best songs from the previous guitar hero games. So why have they not picked some of the really great songs such as Sweet Child of mine, Welcome to the Jungle (yes, Im an old guns n roses fan). Not just guns n roses though, there are many other great songs that should be here, what about Deep Purple's 'Hush', I for one would love to play that as part of a band!!!

So overall, for 25 I wont complain too much as it is good value, but the songs should be downloadable and there were better ones that should be on this disc and for some inexplicable reason, are not.

ARRAY(0xa8f865d0)

Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits - Game Only (Xbox 360)
24.99