4.0 out of 5 stars A decent upgrade for your iPod
I'm a bit of a fan of in-ear headphones like this - I have numerous pairs, ranging in price from Sony's first ever IEM at £30 all the way up to Shure's £250 E500s. I'd never heard of Radiopaq, but the idea of an earphone tuned for rock was interesting, so I gave them a go.

Published on 21 July 2009 by S. P. Long

3.0 out of 5 stars A rather strange idea
Published on 27 July 2009 by EllyBlue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent upgrade for your iPod, 21 July 2009
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

First impressions - the packaging, while sturdy, is a nightmare to get into, and the lack of any instructions for the phones is a bit of a flaw. Also, at this price point, I'd expect a carry case for when you aren't using the phones, and none is provided. That said, they seem well enough built, and they are supplied with three sizes of earpad.

I plugged them into my iPod with the default medium size earpads (which seemed to fit), and almost gave up on them then and there - very thin sound, no bass at all. Experience with IEMs has revealed that fit is crucial, so I tried the large earpads instead. A transformation - suddenly bass appeared and they started sounding pretty good.

Overall, the sound is very bass heavy - the bass is actually artificially emphasised, and sometimes swamps other sounds. If you are looking for a thumping sound, you'll like this - if you want something accurate, they will become tiring after a while. The treble is a bit screechy as well - it's nicely detailed and clear, but again sounds a bit over-emphasised.

Price-wise, these are comparable to Apple's in-ear headphones, and I'd say they do sound better than Apple's offering - a much more full, rich sound. Compared to my top-of-the-range Shures, they have a more pronounced bass, but a less tidy treble - ths Shures are more neutral.

The only real snag with the Radiopaqs is the artificialness of the bass - it can almost become claustrophobic after a while, and I think Radiopaq have gone a bit over the top with it. If you want bass, this is the headphone for you, and the £60 asking price will be well worth it. If you favour a more accurate presentation, I'd recommend giving them a miss, but don't get me wrong - I'd say that at £60, they are a pretty decent headphone, and a vast improvement over the headphones that come with an iPod.

3.0 out of 5 stars A rather strange idea, 27 July 2009
EllyBlue (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging of this product clearly aspires to Apple-esque minimalism, the earphones look very precious on arrival in their perspex casket. But really, the thing is astonishingly difficult to open, and there are no instructions to guide you about how to do that without damaging the contents. Inside, apart from the headphones there is just a small package with 2 sets of alternative size earpieces. That's it. No instructions, nothing. Once liberated from the box, what are these earphones like to use? Well, after a bit of a fiddle, I decided that the medium size earpieces suited me best, giving the best, most "bassy" sound, which is afterall what these earphones are about. The cable seems "tangle free" as claimed, and quite long which may or may not suit you depending on which pocket you put your MP3 player into! The plug sticks out at 180 degrees rather than bending at right angles. I think the latter enables a player to fit better into your pocket, but your preference may be different. They are well insulated against sound leakage so you won't annoy those around you, and they do block out background noise fairly effectively too. The sound quality though was mediocre. I tried with a variety of genres, not just Rock, (since Radiopaq claim that they are good for all music types and supergood with Rock). Although there was perhaps a bit more bass than usual, the sound felt a bit unbalanced with this emphasis on bass, and some of the treble ranges felt a bit shrill. Nothing major, but I don't feel that these earphones quite fulfil their role as a specialist "rock" headphones and their relatively high price. It seems like a bit of a marketing gimmick to have this range of genre specific headphones, and I don't think the product quite lives up to the hype!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for big(ish) ears, 22 Mar. 2013
Gregory Carey (Bangor, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones (Electronics)
The sound coming out of these are absolutely atrocious.

At least until I changed the buds for ones I have with previous earphones, and now they're rather pleasant.

The problem is that the sizes of buds that Radiopaq make don't go big enough for my (not particularly massive) ears. With their own earbuds, there is bass no whatsoever, which makes everything else sound flat. The mid and treble can be good and clear but sometimes verge on tinny. But with other, bigger earbuds the problem is much improved and the sound is more rounded, though nowhere near perfect.

For the £7 they are ok. Apart from the bass they feel plasticy and cheap. The wire stays wavy from when it is wound up. And they do leak music pretty bad - not iPhone headphone bad, but enough to be a problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I was expecting, very weak bass, 20 Dec. 2009
D. S. R. Paz (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones (Electronics)
I've read the reviews and the whole hype I must say I was let down, these are good headphones in the sense of clarity and quality of sound, they're good but what I can't understand is that the main feature these are advertised with is totally missing, THE BASS, completely weak, I thought it was a matter of changing the rubber size but no, even with the biggest one I still don't get the bass I was expecting, I've tried cheaper ones with better bass response than these, I find myself having to equalise my iPod to Bass booster in order to get a decent bass response. It's too bad as I do like these, the cable is cool and I actually like them, the sound does get better with time, I mean the more you use it the better, but the bass does not improve with it, I'll have to buy something else now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but still disappointing, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones (Electronics)
When I saw these on sale going ultra-cheap, I thought I'd snagged myself a bargain. But unfortunately it seems you get what you pay for, whilst the sound quality isn't the worst i've heard, it can range from being too distorted to too tinny as they never quite sit right in your ears and regularly try to escape. Whilst this also isn't the worst pair available, just today after only 2-3 weeks of recieving them, when taking them out of my laptop, the entire plug just came right off the headphones, irreparable. Feels like a small waste of money and a big waste of time. I do not reccomend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, tinny, & slightly leaky, 24 Aug. 2012
Cr Beckett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones (Electronics)
I bought these on the basis that a £59 set reduced to £9 would be a good quality, quick, emergency replacement whilst my RHA headphones are being repaired. They arrived quickly, they were cheap, that much was correct. It could be because they're apparently tuned for rock, but it's probably because they are poorly tuned, but they are super trebly, with a massive distortion of any thing remotely bass-y. For £9 they are an average if underwhelming experience. For £59 they are a waste of money. Oh, and don't believe the sound blocking claims either: there's a definite leak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones, 1 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones (Electronics)
Good enough for everything. I think my another per gonna be same. I have a tried before other makes as well but make is very good. Very good Noise Isolating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, great sound, great earphones, 29 Aug. 2009
Rendition (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I guess the title says it all. The bass is just right for rock - though it intrudes slightly with other forms of music. You get a strong sense of beat without overwhelming the other instruments.

They are super comfortable for long periods, though they don't successfully block out loud external noises (long distance flights, or as in-helmet motorbike earphones).

The set also comes with 3 sets of earplugs fir different ear sizes and they are really easy to swap.

All in all this is definitely a pair I will be using for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality in ear headphones for those who like bass with their rock..., 14 Aug. 2009
Stuart Moses (Epsom, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are high quality headphones. The bass sound is emphasised, which might upset purists, but I found them good while listening to rock music. You need to spend a bit of time experimenting with the different sized bits of rubber to make sure you get the right size for your ears. Once you've done this, the headphones block out most external noise. The packaging is stylish, but difficult to get into. This is only a problem if you need to get into your headphones in a hurry; which is rarely the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Radiopaq Custom Tuned Rock Earphones (Electronics)
Brilliant, I have owned many many "in Ear" headphones and by far are these the best ones i have used. I listen to music from Dubstep and Drum and Bass - to Rock to Hip Hop , and these headphones perform brilliantly in every genre ! If people say they lack bass, they clearly don't have them in right, they have rich bass and never distort, the Noise isolation/ cancelling is brilliant, cannot hear nothing around me, and they don't leak noise ! Would highly recommend !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›