5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful
REVIEW OF SPECIAL SHOWING OF THE FILM TUESDAY 21st APRIL HATFIELD GALLERIA

When many people see the title of this DVD they could expect 2 hours of non stop head banging to Iron Maiden, and in that respect may be disappointed. There are numerous snippets from their 2008 world tour in venues as diverse as Mumbai and San Jose, but overall the film provides an...
Published on 27 April 2009 by Four Violets

3.0 out of 5 stars Flight 666
I love Iron Maiden. When I heard they were filming a behind the scenes film, I loved the idea. After buying it for £20 from HMV, i'm kinda disappointed. The live footage is incredible, there's no other word for it, but the behind the scenes footage is so lacking. The film is about 70% live music (which is all on CD2). The behind the scenes footage is by no means bad, just...
Published on 29 May 2009 by Richard Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars In depth ???? more like out of depth...., 26 May 2009
Mr. A. Brookes "adrian5076" (Harrogate UK) - See all my reviews
Well, like most people I was looking forward to this coming out. I had heard much on the "net" grapevine about how good it was etc etc & refused to watch anything from a certain online spoiler site just to keep the excitment. It landed on my door the day before general release & with a blur of hands it was loaded into the dvd player. Bearing in mind I have been going to see Maiden since "somewhere in time" I am a bit of an oldie fan & this was just boring to me. The "concert" is just slice's from various shows from the 1st leg of the tour, the documentary is actually quite good with a bit of this & that although it could have been a bit more "in depth" & a bit less of the "what a spiffing idea it was of mine to fly a plane around the world" from Brucie.
The main things that narked me are as follows: I went to the Twickenham show, which wasn't a sell out & in typical Maiden fashion the sound was really bad ..........however Eddie was there. Not the walk on stage & have a "handjob" cyborg eddie....but the wrapped in towels mummified eddie bursting from the carcophagus with flames bursting from his eyes. Was this "eddie" on the dvd during the song "iron maiden"????? nope he wasn't, just the walk on stage version.
The "rockumentary" has the songs on as background but it's very much a time filler as you get a large portion of each song from the filmed concert on this which is only broken up by brucie & co being themselves.
In a way it reminds of the "rock in rio" fiasco with both the exclusive interview with Dave Murray & Nico being one & the same......as in the day they were both playing golf together, the same stock footage etc.....bit of a con really.
What would I have liked ? Well I would have liked to have a "full" concert from at least one of the shows they put on & not just a miss match of songs here & there fading in & out. The CD is excactley the same, fade in & fade out
I will still be going to see Maiden as it's in my blood & this is my own opinion....however I did sell my copy on & got my money back......

2.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity..., 5 Aug 2009
As a lifelong Maiden fan I was quite disappointed with this. The idea of a film crew with all areas access to Maiden is an exciting one - but unfortunately there is no documentary here. I can only assume the documentary makers were incompetent or not allowed to show anything other than the bog standard backstage interview fodder. There is no story, no narrative and, sad to say, no interest for the casual viewer. The end result is little more than the standard fan club video which for a supposed cinematic release is just not good enough. If you are a fan you have seen all this before (and better) in the Death on the Road documentary. Also The History of.. Part film is far superior to this one. However, as a fan you also HAVE to have this such is the appeal of Iron Maiden. The performances are of course fantastic and the band are as likeable as ever in the short and to be honest rather banal interviews in the film. No DVD extras is unforgivable and not up to Maidens usual production standards. For all the hype this just isnt good enough - fun to watch once but I don't think I will be looking at the documentary film again. The concert footage of course does stand up to repeated viewings but for me it lacks the atmosphere and excitement of Live after Death. Too many fast cuts and shots of the audience for me in the new film - why do filmmakers always assume we want to see pictures of idiots with their tongue out showing us their devil horns every five seconds? How much time at a gig do you spend looking at the audience and not at the band? On saying that the editing on this is nowhere near as bad as the epileptic fast cuts in the Death on the Road! On saying all this - I would buy this DVD set for the concert footage if you are in anyway interested in Maiden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome service, 2 July 2009
Paul Mcbride (San Diego, Ca. U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
So I tried to get this dvd from F.Y.I. and they could not tell me what I ordered after I ordered it.I wanted to make sure that I got the dvd with the book.Anyways I found it here and it had all the info I needed and I ordered it, it was not too long after I got it in the mail.Great service from Amazon.UK.I would diffenitly order from them again and refer them to my friends.I give it 5 stars.
Up The Irons,
Ugh

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock On, 15 Oct 2010
Bought as a gift for someone who likes the band and they love the Blu-Ray DVD. Worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug 2014
easy thanks

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 13 Jun 2009
I was looking forward to this release, however its not very good. The tour was fantastic,I went to see them in Regina Canada. But the DVD is dull, has minimal atmosphere, and the people doing it didnt have the guts to do a proper job, or just didnt know how. So it just looks like a fan job hashed together with good concert footage, which you couldnt really mess up. O and they flew a plane round.. but thats it really.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flight 666 or more like Farce 666, 31 May 2009
Firstly I have been a maiden fan for the best part of half my life, in fact the first tour i saw was Number of the Beast tour back in 19??

Secondly as a video editor & wedding videographer I can find poor shots, audio transitions, overlays & other poor or badly edited footage.

Thirdly this DVD has an abundence of all the above with trasitional audio and poor audio levels constantly required adjusting the audio levels.

I realy dont know what maiden wanted from this dvd but they realy do seem to have forgotten their roots, with such a big world tour and only one UK date......!

But the contents are interesting and original, good dvd to add to your collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Masters of Hype, 21 Aug 2009
I've followed Maiden for many years, I've seen them live many times, bought all their albums and got most of their DVD's. So its fair to say I know a fair amount about them.

As with all Maiden 'product', this DVD was hyped to the extreme - the band and their management are masters of hype. As an example, have you noticed that when they release a new album its virtually guaranteed that a band member will say 'its the best album we've ever done'...? And we all swallow it hook, line and sinker - including the press, who always give the bands product favorable reviews on often mediocre albums. However, when we part with our cash, reality kicks in and its not as good as we thought it would be. Flight 666 is no exception to this unspoken rule.

As in all of Maidens videos, the band are portrayed as a bunch of Laandan geezers 'avin' a laugh'. Everything is fun, upbeat and jolly. I'm willing to bet that this portrayal is far different to what the Maiden organisation is really like. You get the distinct impression that what you are watching has been very carefully controlled to portray the band in the best possible light, subsequently, its all a bit dull and clinical. I am sure that the footage that hit the cutting room floor would be much more interesting and revealing.

If you are an absolute die-hard fan of maiden, you will like this, but believe me, there are far better life on the road films than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 15 April 2009
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
All maidenites & rivetheads don't need a review of this. It is simply the reality that will be 'Spinal Tap' - but in the real world (Sorry, Rob Reiner). Simply awesome. Nuff said. Now then, where did I leave my albatross........

Flight 666: The Film [DVD] [2009]
Flight 666: The Film [DVD] [2009] by Iron Maiden (DVD - 2009)