4.0 out of 5 stars Live album number 666???
Published on 28 May 2009 by Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (...

1.0 out of 5 stars not good at all
Bought after watching live performance on TV and really enjoyed that but on the CD you can hear the audience more than you can hear the band. Not good at all.
Published on 8 Aug 2010 by PS

4.0 out of 5 stars Live album number 666???, 28 May 2009
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
Yet another live album from Iron Maiden, which must bring the total to date up to nine(not quite 666!), and another run through the hoary chestnuts and then a couple of rare live numbers, basically enough to entice the keen collector and yet stay in touch with the possibility of the fan who has not shelled out previously. I got it for the Rime of the Ancient Mariner and the epic Powerslave, if that helps place me.

Plus points - great production, sound quality and selection of material. I have enjoyed it from one end straight through to the other. A really solid professional series of performances captured well. The crowd inconsistencies mentioned in the other review are easily audible, but did not detract from the overall album for me. The album lasts for approx 100 minutes, so it is good value for money. The Derek Riggs(I am assuming he is behind them, the text on the cd is so small I think I need to get my eyes checked out soon) disc heiroglyphs look great, a sort of modern slant on ancient Egyptian iconography. The inclusion of Powerslave and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, both played supremely well-thanks!

Negative points - if you have heard any of the other live albums and already have live versions of the songs contained herein than you have no real need for this. As a keen fan of improvisation I must say I am not really hearing anything new here. The solos are 100% well played and faithful to the songs, but not going anywhere new. So this criticism is one of choice and not a technical/production/playing fault. THe other gripe is the gap between songs. It is a live album and I know that the songs were recorded in as many venues as there are songs, but I would have like the album edited to run from one song into the other with no gaps. The segueing could easily have been achieved by stitching the tracks together in the middle of the crowd noise. Again a taste issue as opposed to a practical one.

Overall, a really good well recorded and superbly played live collection. One star detracted for taste issues, sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scream for me ............, 22 July 2009
Phil Kennedy (UK) - See all my reviews
Having seen the film on the big screen, this CD Soundtrack was a no-brainer. The jist of the tour (& rockumentary) is that Maiden have been delivering classic British Heavy Metal for 20+ years and now have a whole generation of worldwide fans who were born after many of their songs were written. On top of that, previous tours have been limited by the ability to get stage sets there by road and sea...... the band has a lead singer who just happens to be a fully qualified pilot so it's simple ... take over your own 747, rip out half the seats and take your entire road crew and kit by air to where ever you fancy!

I have to be honest and say I'd not been into Maiden in a big way before this, liked the singles but that was it, yet the movie gave me a real sense of what they were all about. Now I've bought this album, I have been treated to live versions of classics like Hallowed be thy name, Powerslave, Moonchild and Rime of the ancient mariner (to name but a few) on top of the classics like Run to the hills and Can I play with madness.

101% recommended for anyone who loves metal/rock and wants to appreciate one of the best, at their best

.....thing is, would you ever get on a plane that was actually called in the airport as Flight Number 666????? Play this and experience the ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great live album., 2 Mar 2011
R. Lawrence (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
I really love this album, as I do the film. It does what it says on the tin, it is the soundtrack from the film, no more no less.
I understand that some might not like it, but that is the way with live albums and I guess if you already have lots of their CDs then it won't be anything new. All the same as live LPs go I think it is very good. I have heard criticism of the mixing and crowd noise (which nearly put me off buying it) but it's exactly what you'd expect live and just like it is in the film. The atmosphere is really good and the crowd is very much a part of that, if you don't like that aspect then you'd be better off buying their greatest hits. Another criticism raised was that each track is taken from a different show, for me that is what it's all about and I'd be disappointed if it was any other way, here you get a great feeling of the whole touring aspect as in the film, it's purpose and it's pace as, with each track, you jet around the world.
So for me I'd say, buy with confidence as I think it is a great live album. Just remember, this is the Fight 666 Soundtrack and that is exactly what it is. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than 'Live After Death', 2 Dec 2010
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
I've been a Maiden fan since the early 80's and first saw them in 1984. Despite loving their studio albums, I always preferred their live albums and in particular Live After Death. I wore the vinyl out on that record. It stuns me to write this but this better, the best Maiden live album covering their best period.
Yes the crowd is up in the mix. It sounds terrific.
For old and new Maiden fans, highly recommended.
My only gripe - no Running Free (or Sanctuary) but hey, what's here is terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best conert cd ever, 2 Aug 2011
Hey,

I love this cd! All the best songs on it! Also buy the dvd of blu ray so you can see it also!
Nothing else to say!

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performances, great songs, 25 Oct 2010
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
I'm rather astonished at why some fans and casual listeners have given this album a low rating. It accompanies the excellent DVD/Blu Ray chronicling a Maiden concert tour during which Bruce piloted a 757 carrying crew and equipment to each venue. The film was great, and featured the songs included on this CD. The film was created to follow Maiden as they went from country to country, and this live CD of the songs from the film does the same - each track is recorded in a different country. I honestly don't find it a problem. I agree that it is a shame they have faded out each track on the CD, as it detracts from the live experience to some extent. I also find it ever so slightly irritating that on many of the tracks Bruce can be heard to shout "Scream for me...[insert place of concert here]..." - this only rams home the fact that each track is recorded in a different place. You might also complain that this is too similar to the tracks included on the seminal live album "Live After Death". But while other reviewers have deducted points for these reasons, there is one simple reason I have not done so, and have given this album max points: it sounds amazing! The performances, in my view, are stellar - probably better than on Live After Death, and here of course we have three guitars instead of two. Nicko McBrain's drumming is amazing and the band sound really tight and as if they are enjoying playing these songs. The crowd noise is not over-bearing (as it sometimes is on "Rock in Rio"). The mastering and production seems really good - it is a very clear recording. So what you have is some of the very best Maiden tracks from what some consider their 'golden era' - played with gusto and recorded in crystal clear clarity - what's not to like?

1.0 out of 5 stars not good at all, 8 Aug 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Up The Irons!, 15 May 2010
M. Slack - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
Music doesn't come any better than this!!! I love A Matter of Life and Death (and can't wait for their new album to be released this year), but these older songs are also top class, especially on a live album. To me, a live rock album is almost always better than the same songs on a studio album, because it re-creates the concert atmosphere and concerts are the ultimate way to hear this music.

Also, I think it works really well taking each track from a different place on the tour.

Flight 666, Rock in Rio and Death on the Road are a trio of brilliant Maiden live albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good,but as a cd not as good as Rock in Rio, 10 Oct 2009
E. Coolican "karajan lover" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
I far prefered Rock in Rio as the songs (esp Sign of the cross) were better and it had continuity and a bit more soul.I know the dvd was supposed to be a bit pants but I havn't seen it, and imagining a beach in Rio at night gives it an edge over the travelogue feel of Flight 666.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Live Maiden CD So Far, 31 May 2009
M. ROSSER - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flight 666: The Film (Audio CD)
Forget What The Others have written Below, maybe they are just average fans. ive only been a fan for 11 years but i consider myself a pretty hardcore fan (or nerd if you like... i can after all hear a B-side of maidens and tell you which album era it is from, just from the tone of the song.

First Off The Production - Amazing its 100% Spot-on better than Rock in Rio

Sound Wise - Louder, Clearer Heavier than Live after Death, i love L.A.D but it has extra tracks that werent even out during the powerslave era, Such as Moonchild, heaven can wait, wasted years etc.

Value for money - What you get here is a double disc set of the live tracks split from different venues from last years SWBIT tour,sounds odd but it just works. every track is spot on. and its Worth it just for Rime of the ancient mariner alone with three guitars, and so to powerslave etc.

to me this is my new fave live maiden release, Solid fun and you feel like your there, (if the crowd sound was too low it wouldnt feel like you were there, and you may as well listen to a soundboard bootleg)

100% Maiden, Live at their Best. a setlist to die for and if you were'nt at the gigs shame on you, but never mind this will take you there.

Flight 666: The Film
Flight 666: The Film by Iron Maiden (Audio CD - 2009)