5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing.
Wolfgang Amadeus is one of the best albums i own.
Immediately your hit by the catchy and terribly fun Listomania and 1901. Then comes Love like a sunset (part 1), this is one of my favourite songs period!

Published on 19 Sep 2010 by Mr. L. J. Hunter

3.0 out of 5 stars It's allright.
I'm new to Phoenix and discovered them late, but my introduction was through 'Bankrupt' which I think has better, more catchy tunes than this album. I'm persevering, as I want to get into them a bit more, so fingers crossed it'll grow.
Published 15 months ago by Keith Davies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing., 19 Sep 2010
Wolfgang Amadeus is one of the best albums i own.

In my opinion, some of the later songs are growers and don't instantly appear as good as the opening trio, however i've come to love them just as much. I love every song on the album, Phoenix have this amazingly ablitly to convey images of heartwarming summers. This coupled with the brilliant lyrics and execution make Phoenix one of the most clever and approachable bands around today.

I recomend this album. Seriously, buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pop Goes The Pheonix, 16 July 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Shoot me down in flames but I have a somewhat fixed belief that
until very recently the French (rather like Italy) have contributed
very little of lasting value to the history of popular music.

Not even Serge Gainsbourg's 'Harley Davidson' can redeem them.

'Pheonix' have done well to challenge my innate and irrational
prejudices and I am pleased to report that I am besotted with
their new album 'Wolfgang Amadeus Pheonix'.

There is some irrepressibly good energy in these 10 fine songs.

Mr Mars has an appealing voice; smooth and high and debonair.
The melodies are strong; the rhythms dance-friendly.
Messrs D'Arcy, Brancowitz and Mazzalai create a never less
than interesting framework for the vocal material; sometimes
fluid and transparent, sometimes dense and darker in tone.

Opening track 'Lisztomania' kicks off the project in fine style.
Chiming guitar, pounding percussion and a strong central vocal
performance from Mr Mars. A very fine pop song.

'1901' continues in a similar vein. A multi-layered slice
of gold-plated creativity. The chorus is an uplifting gem.

Other highlights include the delightful 'Lasso'. Coming in under
three minutes it is a model of economy. Just enough of a good idea.

'Countdown', for my money, is the strongest track in the collection.
A driving anthem, movingly realised. One to play over and over.

This fine little band have found a good formula
and made it work both for themselves and for us.

French redemption is possible after all.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAME WITH THE FREE MP3 DOWNLOAD CARD!, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Just a quick note: I nearly bought the UK release of this album as it was advertised as comming with the free MP3 downlaod.

However, I bought this version - the Glassnote release (as opposed to the UK release on V2), prefering the album on black rather than white vinyl. It was therefore a bonus to find that this version of the release also came with the free MP3 download card - in high quality 320kbps resolution.

Oh, and obviously its a gret record!

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est manifigue! The order of the Phoenix, 14 July 2009
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I delighted that no one buys Phoenix records for all the wrong reasons. It enables me to have dirty little secret that is shared only by a few knowing individuals that this French band is actually the greatest pop band on the planet; there is no contest. Alright a load of old farts feeling smug because they are so clever and wise is hardly a compensation for a band who should outsell those tired old dinosaurs that cling onto the charts like limpets U2, Keane, and Muse. But that is the reality and we must learn to live with the deep humilation.

Still you don't know what you're missing. When I say pop music I mean music that people like Air, Blur, Teenage Fanclub and Death Cab for Cutie produce. Intelligent music that grows on every listen and which soundtracks your life, transporting you from the depths of despair to somewhere entirely different. Phoenix are at the apex of such groups. They write crisp, sophisticated, cool, minimalist, French, sleek songs which are so hook laden you could catch a whale with them. They have been around for 10 years and produced brilliant albums throughout including the wonderful "United". Their songs have sound tracked the some of the greatest movies ("Too young" was in Sophia Copola's staggering "Lost in Translation). They have also written songs where it is obligatory to listen to them starring into the bluest oceans in world from the most beautiful beach, on the hottest day with a glass of hugely expensive white wine in your hand and someone you deeply love sat by your side ("You can blame it on anybody" from Alphabetical and "If I ever feel better" from United). Trust me you will think world peace is possible.

The great news that Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is by a marathon the best album they have made and there are signs that they might do "an Elbow" not least of all since all the tracks are being massively remixed across the web by a range of produces in different styles and forms. "1901" for example is completely ubiquitous across the music blogs -check out the versions by the Afghan Raiders, COMA and the Fortune mixes (there are about 15 others at the last count). All this attention is for good reason it's a fantastic track which displays all the trademarks of the Phoenix sound of with pop so smart you feel like it should come with a complimentary A level. "Lisztomania" has been equally deconstructed and taken from the fab breezy pop song on the album to a stunning piece of dance electronica (check the Alex Metric, CLASSIXX and Holy Ghost mix versions). Stick on the headphones and enjoy

What is interesting is that these two great songs aren't even the best songs on the album the bar is set so high. "Fences" is the masterwork here. A heavy synth classic into which is thrown a brief but lovely acoustic guitar break and a wonderful vocal. It will be played at discos around Europe and yes is subject to many mixes. Love like Sunset Part 1 is an ambient piano coda that develops into a song that would happily sit on a Kraftwerk's greatest hits and could get Tangerine Dream to reform.

Other greats include "Girlfriend" and "Rome" although by next week I will be smitten with "Lasso" and "Countdown". Phoenix albums have tended in the past to run out of steam at the half way point. Here it is a great relief to report that they have recorded their most consistent and sustained pop epic since they started their careers singing drunken Prince covers in French bars. The scale of mixes is a tribute to the inventiveness and the sheer class of this outfit. They attract other musicians and DJs like pollen to a hay fever sufferer and everyone wants a slice of the action. The mythical bird may yet rise from the ashes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 7 Jun 2013
This album is full of catchy feel-good songs. Definitely worth a listen! :)

Am happy I found out about this band!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's allright., 29 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Love love love it!, 29 April 2012
This is a great album. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's great. I often find myself sitting in my room singing along to all the songs when I should be working.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Record, 24 July 2013
From the opening track to the end this is a great record.Would recommend highly to anyone. Live they are phenomenal as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 9 April 2013
First heard them ages ago with their very catchy single 1901. Nothing ground breaking but makes for quite easy listening. Favourites include Lasso and Litztomania.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a strange one this, 5 Mar 2012
Mr. I. Willoughby "Willows" (London) - See all my reviews
I first heard this band on a well known DAB radio station and I don't often buy albums on the basis of one track, but I did in this case. The tracks are well produced and a bit poppy, but overall I was quite impressed and the inlfuence of Daft Punk is there; but in your face.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix [VINYL]
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix [VINYL] by Phoenix (Vinyl - 2009)