Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 December 2006
Beginning with early success in the mid-70's, The Pointer Sisters really hit their stride in the 80's here in the U.S. Second only to the Supremes, they cranked-out hit after hit. "Jump" became their biggest song ever. However, listen to "Fire", "I'm So Excited" and "He's So Shy" to witness their diverse talents. Somewhat over-shadowed by outrageous outfits and mile-high hair, the girls racked up more hits than other so-called "serious" artists of the day. "Automatic" still rocks today. You go, girls!
on 28 May 2010
For such a cheap price, this collection is rather good. It's probably not what you might call "the Pointer Sisters' definitive collection" because it only covers years 1978-1987 (and as such misses earlier hits) but it encompasses the biggest hits the dames had in that era : Fire (a song given by someone called B. Springsteen), I'm so excited (that must be in the top 10 songs-to-pick-you-up... ever!), Automatic, Jump (hence the title) etc. The dancey sound of some of the tracks is very 1980's and hasn't aged well. Some of the tracks sound a bit like fillers but quality fillers. Far from a rip off, then.
on 28 April 2004
Although the Pointer Sisters had a couple of brief bursts of success herein the UK, they are second to only the Supremes in the USA in the mostsuccessful girl group battle, thanks to nearly forty entries on the US Popand R&B charts between 1973 and 1991. However, Anita, Bonnie, June andRuth were more than a mere girl group. One of the most eclectic groups onrecord, the Pointers have written and recorded Pop, Funk, TraditionalJazz, Soul and Heavy Rock without ever stepping out of their depth. Theyeven won a grammy for best Country single by a duo or group in 1975 with anumber called Fairytale, written by Anita and Bonnie. That same year theytopped the US R&B chart with another self-penned track called How Long(Betcha Got A Chick On The Side), which served as a template for many oftoday's Rap/R&B hybrids. These tracks are available on the excellent YesWe Can Can: Best of the Blue Thumb years. This CD covers the years1978-1986 when they were reduced to a trio after Bonnie's departure. Theyscored Pop superstardom with producer Richard Perry on his Planet labeland latterly RCA. One listen to it and it's clear why the Pointers werethe leaders of the pack. Their own Soul/Pop combination was unique andhighly commercial. Included here are some of the most memorable hits ofthe 1980's. All of the UK hits are present with additional US hits givinga fuller picture. Nobody did it like the Pointer Sisters.
I’m So Excited (US Pop #9/US R&B #46/UK #11)
Automatic (Pop #5/R&B#2/UK #2)
Slow Hand (Pop #2/R&B #7/UK #10)
Jump (For My Love) (Pop #3/R&B #3/UK #6)
Neutron Dance (Pop #6/R&B #13/UK #33)
Dare Me (Pop #11/R&B #6/UK #17)
Fire (Pop #2/R&B #14/UK #34)
Goldmine (Pop #33/R&B #17/UK #78)
I Need You (Pop #48/R&B #13/UK #25)
Should I Do It? (Pop #13/UK #50)
Everybody Is A Star (UK #61)
American Music (Pop #16/R&B #24)
Baby Come And Get It (Pop #44/R&B #24/UK #76)
He’s So Shy (Pop #3/R&B #10)
If You Wanna Get Back Your Lady (Pop #59/R&B #44)
Happiness (Pop#30/R&B #20)
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2007
Comprehensive hits and near-misses compilation, with informative liner notes in the CD booklet. Unlike some greatest bits CDs, this BMG release doesn't suffer from 're-master-itis'; in other words, the guys creating the digital master didn't feel the need to whack the original tapes through massive compression and re-EQing to make it sound "more 2007" (or whatever year you're reading this in). These are straight original versions of some classy 70s and 80s pop-soul.

"Jump" easily eclipses the limp Girls Aloud cover version within the first 30 seconds. "Automatic" has chunky harmonies and, with that lyric, could only have been made in the 1980s with its marvellously relentless drum machine! 1978 breakthrough single "Fire" has nice guitars (yes!), gorgeous harmonies and bluesy piano/organ. "I Need You" is sheer soul class. At this price you can't really go wrong with this - unless perhaps you're a death metal fan.
on 21 June 2013
YEAH ANOTHER GREAT COLLECTION OF HITS ON ONE CD. HAD MOST OF THESE ON VINYL BUT NOW HAVE A DIGITAL COPY NOW STORED ON MY iTUNES. THANK YOU FOR A SWIFT AND PROMPT SERVICE.
on 7 June 2013
A good valued compilation of hits from The Pointer Sisters. It contains all their classic hits including Automatic, Jump, I'm So Excited & Slow Hand. If you know and loved their hits in the 1980s, you can't go wrong!
on 25 September 2011
For the price of a pint of beer/glass of wine,you get this CD,and it really IS a steal at that price.
I was introduced to The Pointer Sisters,by a girl friend.She's no longer my g/f,but I still love her for bringing these incredible ladies into my life. What talent.
If I ever feel down,I reach for this CD,and play "Jump".As soon as the first beat erupts,I am revived.
I have three words to describe The Pointer Sisters.

CLASS,CLASS,and CLASS. O.K.,that's four words,but who cares?

If you don't have this C.D.,go buy it,for not to do so would make you the mug of the year.

My one star reduction is because a few tracks are what are called fillers,but I am just being pedantic.
on 1 May 2013
Brilliant funky, sexy soul from an underrated group. Makes my corpuscles JUMP! and my pheromones go whoopee! I'm playing it now, by coincidence and it is a tonic, AUTOMATIC!! OF COURSE!!
on 9 July 2013
Hearing these classic tunes made me feel 18 again. So with hairbrush in hand, and volume increased i shut my eyes and was transported back to the 80's and early nineties. The disco classic's of "Jump", "Automatic", "Dare Me" and "I'm so excited" made me forget work and just smile as i was prancing around the living room.

Excellent C.D. and at this price who could resist such a great buy!!

Would certainly recommend.

Michelle (Manchester)
on 19 September 2010
I'm very pleased with my purchase of Jump: Best of the Pointer Sisters, for many years I could never justify why I liked the Pointer Sisters for so long and never bought any of their music. It isn't easy to find, but this is a good collection for listening to in the car, and at home to sing along to all my old favourites and to play practically anywhere. Funny to see how many others also realise they too remember and like the Pointer Sisters songs. This CD will be well worn out very soon!